D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

oknazevad

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

WotC has done something brilliant with this free PDF release: they've literally made the bar for entry to D&D as low as possible. The outright cost for the game is the cost of an Internet connection. The only thing missing is a set of dice. And considering that anyone playing needs others to play with (as table top games are inherently a group experience), chances are someone else in the group already has a set a new player can borrow. As for the system itself, well, it's just the right balance of robust and streamlined. Easy to pick up, but with enough depth to cater to a multitude of play styles. It doesn't really tread new ground in the world of TTRPGs, but it doesn't need to. D&D as a whole began the hobby as we know it, and the 5e system just needed to be a version that captured the essence of the game as it has developed over the four decades it's been around. It does. As someone who has played every version of the game, this feels like D&D, while not getting bogged down in excess minutia that more often act as barriers to entry for new players than really enhance the play experience. This, combined with the literally zero cost of these rules, have made the game the most accessible it has been in decades, maybe ever. WotC got it right!

TheSwartz

Explorer

I really don't know if there is more to say. It's free, it's easy to get online, WotC is keeping it up to date, and it has all the basic stuff you need for a complete and compelling game. It is 5e at it's core, which is awesome. There is really no reason that one could not run full on campaigns with nothing but this and have a really good time. This is 5 stars through and through.

Onslaught

Explorer

I loved D&D 3.0, then 3.5... but when 4E came out I basically stopped playing. D&D 5E is a return to form (of sorts...): the best parts of 3E streamlined with the good ideas that influenced 4E.The game just runs great, Bounded Accuracy makes every class capable of shining during the game, and the Basic Rules give you just enought so you want to buy the real deal.

Bassett5876

Villager

I have played all editions. This edition is hands down the best combining elements from almost all edition with a few new concepts. if you liked 1st edition through 3.5 then this edition will probably hook you!!!!

Onslaught

Explorer

Well, WotC promissed and edition to bind them all... and here we are.

Bounded accuracy works wonders to make things more balanced, while classes fell special and unique again and DM got change of the game back!

BoneMan

Explorer
1 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

I really hate the advantage/disadvantage mechanic. D&D was always a games where you had to use your brain. Now it's not. I guess for the generation of "All Children Left Behind" maybe that is what's needed.

pogre

Legend

Quick start rules with enough substance to be fun and perhaps the best starting adventure of all time.

scourge

Explorer

I loved the Basic rules before, but the addition of illustrations really puts it over the top. I've printed off several copies and many of my players use the Basic rules alone. Just an excellent resource, and I much appreciate WotC providing them for free.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases