5E Let's list the "broken" spells - Page 16
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    If you must add abilities to your BBEGs for them not to be trivially shut down by hero abilities something's broken alright.
    I gotta agree with CapnZapp on that one,

Course correction mid campaign is one thing - adjusting as we go is expected- but when Iím compelled to add a very specific ability to counter a very specific PC spell just to give the fight a fair chance of being fun, somethingís wrong.

I never played by the adage that ďif it ainít broken, donít fix itĒ, but if i canít have fun with the game without fixing it; it was broken.
    XP CapnZapp gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurefindel View Post
    I gotta agree with CapnZapp on that one,

Course correction mid campaign is one thing - adjusting as we go is expected- but when Iím compelled to add a very specific ability to counter a very specific PC spell just to give the fight a fair chance of being fun, somethingís wrong.

I never played by the adage that ďif it ainít broken, donít fix itĒ, but if i canít have fun with the game without fixing it; it was broken.
    now this comes down to what you mean by fun
    because for me, using that big spell to completely shut the baddie down sure feels great and fun, so I do not see it as broken
    if your players are telling you that it feels not fun for them when combats are shut down by those big spells, then you should adjust on a macro level

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

When it comes to Big Bads, its a part of expectation setting for the DM....especially new ones.

If you are new to running Dnd and doing your first few boss fights, you may not know how much special care they actually require to be great. And seeing the boss you planned so carefully for just crushed before your eyes without doing anything....even if ultimately he was meant to die, can be a very disheartening experience.

I think part of the problem is the DMG just doesn't warn new DMs well enough in this area. Good boss fights are actually very tricky, and more tips/tricks to deliver that experience can be helpful to them.
    XP Dausuul gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by mortwatcher View Post
    because for me, using that big spell to completely shut the baddie down sure feels great and fun, so I do not see it as broken
    if your players are telling you that it feels not fun for them when combats are shut down by those big spells, then you should adjust on a macro level
    The DM is a player, too, and broken spells that one shot the Big Bad may not be fun for them.
    XP Dausuul, jonesy gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    The DM is a player, too, and broken spells that one shot the Big Bad may not be fun for them.
    that is true and there are a few solutions to that:
    1. you have infinite amount of big bads, they have spells like force-cage 1-2x/day
    2. talk with your players, if it makes you that miserable, work with them to change their spell list

I'm aware that high-level D&D experience can be more work for the DM, as the CR system gives up at that point, but by the time you get there, you should have enough experience under your belt to manage, or wrap up the campaign before you get to these problematic spells

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

that is true and there are a few solutions to that:
    1. you have infinite amount of big bads, they have spells like force-cage 1-2x/day
    2. talk with your players, if it makes you that miserable, work with them to change their spell list

I'm aware that high-level D&D experience can be more work for the DM, as the CR system gives up at that point, but by the time you get there, you should have enough experience under your belt to manage, or wrap up the campaign before you get to these problematic spells
    Alternatively, you can simply ban the problematic spells.
    XP Laurefindel, CapnZapp gave XP for this post

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

It always were down to what people considered fun. D&D is a game, thatís itís primary function.

Turning a challenging fight into a trivial one can indeed be fun, but when the same trick can be pulled again and again unless the DM introduces specific countermeasures to prevent it; itís a weakness on the game, not on the playersí (DM included). The trick gets old fast.

I call this broken. Clearly you donít, showing that there is more to ďbrokennessĒ than a yes/no question. Whether I find it fun or not to play with this gameís weakness is one thing, but I must say Iím surprised by the vehemence with which posters deny that some of these spells might constitute a weakness in the first place.
    Last edited by Laurefindel; Wednesday, 5th June, 2019 at 06:56 PM.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Astrosicebear View Post
    I, for one, welcome the vagueness.
    Together with our new insect overlords?
    Laugh jonesy laughed with this post