D&D 5E In Defense of the Beastmaster

So having recently become fairly active on these boards, I realize that this topic has been talked about a lot. However, it is generally in a disparaging way towards the beastmaster class, rather than a productive way. So with that note, I decided to do a little defense for them, and figure out why the designers thought they would be a good fit. Turns out, the beastmaster is much better than people assume it to be at first glance, and I will explain this in detail below. However, there is one other point about "why would anyone take a beastmaster in the first place?" and if you want to read that, it's at the very bottom. Without further ado:

I'm going to break this up into tiers of play, specifically focusing on certain levels: 3, 7, and 14. Now I'm also going under the assumption that at each of those higher level tiers, characters will have a growing bonus on their magic items, i.e. a level 7 character will have a +1 weapon and armor, 14 a +2 weapon and armor. This is based off of the playtest where the majority of items only went up to +3. Seeing as how we're going purely off of combat and dungeon potential, there will also be a +1 ring of protection added to the characters after 3.

Fighter 3: At the first few levels, a fighter doesn't seem terribly impressive, but then again, neither does anyone else. A fighter at that level utilizing a defensive fighting style will have around a 20 armor class (+1 defense, +2 shield, 17 base Splintmail). He will get a +6 to attack (+2 prof, +4 strength) and deal 1d8+4 damage with a hit (a longsword). He also gets criticals on 19-20 with a Champion archetype and gains Action surge.

Ranger 3: This is probably where the Ranger is the weakest, but still not terrible. At 3rd level, the animal companion can't really do much. For a wolf (which is likely the best and most obvious choice), it will only have 12 hit points, an AC of 15, an attack of +6, and deals 2d4+6 points of damage with the potential to trip. But wait a second, that's exactly the same as a fighter! The only difference is the AC, which is a big limiting factor on the Wolf. However, if you give the benefit of the doubt to the Wolf, it is likely that the wolf will not be targeted nearly as much as the fighter, and therefore will be a slightly better choice for a damage dealer. If the wolf does get attacked, it's likely dead, but the same could be said for a 3rd level wizard as well. Keep in mind that this does not take into account the ranger, but since only one of them gets to attack this round, I'm going to focus only the wolf.

The fighter wins round one, purely based on toughness.

Fighter 7: A fighter is starting to become more powerful at this point. They will likely have plate mail at this point, and +1 to boot, giving them an outrageous 22 armor class (+1 magic, +1 defense, +2 shield, 18 base Plate mail). That is pretty impressive, and they are likely going to be standing up to the brunt of anything that can be thrown at them. However on the offensive side, there's not as much of a difference, except they now get two attacks a round. They will have a +9 to hit (+1 magic, +3 prof, +5 str) and deal 1d8 + 6 on both attacks, giving them an average damage of around 20 with both hits. That's pretty good. Barring any feats or anything, that's about the upper limit for them damage wise apart from magic.

Ranger 7: A ranger at this point also gains extra attack, and can use it to command their animal companion to attack. They can also use their bonus action to make the beast dash, disengage, dodge or help, but we'll take a look at the first one. At this point a ranger using martial weapons will have a +9 to hit (+1 magic, +3 prof, +5 dex) and deal 1d8 + 6 (rapier) on his attack, an average of 10 damage, same as the fighter. The wolf also gets an attack, and will have a +7 to hit, slightly less, but deal 2d4 + 5 points of damage, for an average of again, 10 damage. So it seems like they're pretty equal, except at this point, the wolf gains pack tactics, which gives them advantage on all attack rolls when an ally is within 5 ft (the ranger). This gives them an average of a +12 to hit, making it much more likely that they'll do they're good amount of damage. If you also consider the wolf to be somewhat of a damage sponge at this point, it will have 28 hit points, not too shabby in the slightest.

I'd call this a bit of a draw. The Ranger can now deal more damage, due to hitting more often with advantage, but the fighter is still much tougher.

Fighter 14: 23 armor class (+2 magic, +1 defense, +2 shield, 18 base plate mail.), +12 to hit (+2 magic, +5 prof, +5 str), 1d8 + 7 damage with three attacks, average of 34 damage. Again, same as before, fighter is going to be much much tougher due to the armor class, but the damage per attack hasn't increased at all, giving a higher average due to the addition of another attack.

Ranger 14: It's almost not worth talking about armor class at this point, since the fighter is going to severely outclass the ranger and his wolf in every way. Concentrating on offensive prowess then, the ranger would get their attack at +12 to hit (+2 magic, +5 prof, +5 dex), and 1d8 + 7 on their attacks. Its at this point that the wolf begins to shine. Without advantage, the wolf gets a +9 to hit, but with advantage he would get a fantastic +14 to hit. With two attacks each dealing 2d4 + 7 damage, they keep up with the fighter easily with an average of 34 damage, not including the advantage.

Same deal as before. The fighter is able to take more hits and dodge more hits, but the wolf has potentially higher damage output due to the advantage granted by the ranger.

Of course there are many different variables that can go into this, including action surge, spells, different fighting styles, feats, etc. However, I hope that this shows just how well the beast master feature does keep up with the average damage dealer, and that choosing them isn't less viable than choosing anything else.

However, there is one big reason for choosing the beastmaster ranger, and it's the most important of them all: Choosing to play them because you want to. No other class allows you to be a beast master ranger in mechanics or flavor. A druid with an awakened animal is not the same, a warlock with a familiar is not the same. They are their own breed of class and interesting in their own way, and that, in and of itself, is the best reason to choose them.

This is my concern:

My daughter will be playing with the adults for the first time, as we try playing 5e. She really wants to play a halfling with a pet tiger.

My goal is to make sure that she gets to enjoy playing her character, without it seeming frustrating. To that end, I'm not overly concerned with DPS or comparative AC - I'm concerned with the tiger not getting killed every other fight.

What I want to do is address this problem, by house-ruling if necessary, but not in such a way that it feels like she's getting favorable treatment. So I want the house-rules to feel relatively balanced - which is what discussions like this are in aid of.

My first plan is to let her take a feat - at level 8, maybe? opinions? - that lets her have a size Large pet. The difference between "panther" and "tiger" don't look game breaking, but the second has a good bunch more HP. I also can't imagine that some sort of special "raise pet" power would be any more game-breaking than letting the ranger get a new mastiff every other day.

The tiger shouldn't get killed every other fight, and as a DM I'm not sure how it would. If you have a bunch of impartial monsters, I don't see how they would decide to attack the tiger over attacking the massive barbarian, plate wearing fighter/paladin, or the fireball casting wizard. In all honesty, they are just as tough as they've always been, and AoE attacks don't occur often enough in 5E to warrant a massive change. A tiger is going to have just as much chance of surviving an encounter as a melee-spec'd warlock (close to the same hit points and AC). Just don't have everything and their kitchen sink attack the tiger and you should be fine.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The pet can wear barding to boost it's AC to very respectable levels. The ranger should take the sentinel feat so that when they are double teaming an enemy, if the enemy targets the pet, the ranger gets a free attack. And finally, pets should get 3 death saves like a PC, which is perfectly within the rules, meaning it will be very very difficult to actually kill a pet, as opposed to just knock them unconscious (for your daughter's game, I would just rule that the pet "runs off" at that point, out of the combat, and "returns" once the fight is over).

Juriel

First Post
My goal is to make sure that she gets to enjoy playing her character, without it seeming frustrating. To that end, I'm not overly concerned with DPS or comparative AC - I'm concerned with the tiger not getting killed every other fight.

How about saying the tiger runs away if it got dropped to 0hp? It'll return after the battle, but lurk more on the sidelines, until they've gotten a rest.

Not necessarily even a long rest, just a rest, if it feels like he's awfully fragile. And/or on turns when she's not actively using it, say it automatically takes the Dodge action for itself.

And, yes, tiger plate armor.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
How about saying the tiger runs away if it got dropped to 0hp? It'll return after the battle, but lurk more on the sidelines, until they've gotten a rest.

This is the solution used in a similar situation (though a different game) when my son was first gaming. Our experience was that the kid with the pet didn't want to send it into combat, because he cared too much about its survival.

Good call, Juriel.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
But pets *ARE* targeted. Any AOE (Fireball, breath weapon, etc) will affect them. Moreover, there is a better than 50% chance the pet will auto-die when hit by a fireball of equivilent level.

Level 5 wolf w/ 20 hp has +2 Dex save vs. a 8d6 DC 14 fireball has a <40% chance of surviving it. The GM is targeting the wolf whenever an AOE goes off in its vicinity.

This plus having the pets be disposable (just bond with another animal stupid enough to let you when the previous one that didn't live long enough to bother to name dies) is completely disheartening. This isn't really a "companion'. it is a resource, and that isn't really as satisfying role-playing wise.

You are right that a druid with an Awakened animal is very different from a Beastmaster.
It is objectively better in every conceivable way. Not just in game mechanics, but in
role-playing. You can actually bother to name an Awakened animal, because it will live long
enough and be able to act independently enough to have a personality. It won't be some
disposable "resource" but a trusted and loyal friend your character has a true bond with.

Maybe the easiest fix for the Beastmaster is to let them have the Awaken spell. Hell if bards have it,
there is no good reason for a BEASTMASTER to not have it.

Last edited:

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
The tiger shouldn't get killed every other fight, and as a DM I'm not sure how it would. If you have a bunch of impartial monsters, I don't see how they would decide to attack the tiger over attacking the massive barbarian, plate wearing fighter/paladin, or the fireball casting wizard. In all honesty, they are just as tough as they've always been, and AoE attacks don't occur often enough in 5E to warrant a massive change. A tiger is going to have just as much chance of surviving an encounter as a melee-spec'd warlock (close to the same hit points and AC). Just don't have everything and their kitchen sink attack the tiger and you should be fine.

You don't have enemy casters and dragons in your game? Because those things slaughter pets.

Dragongrief

Explorer
But pets *ARE* targeted. Any AOE (Fireball, breath weapon, etc) will affect them. Moreover, there is a better than 50% chance the pet will auto-die when hit by a fireball of equivilent level.

Level 5 wolf w/ 20 hp has +2 Dex save vs. a 8d6 DC 14 fireball has a <40% chance of surviving it. The GM is targeting the wolf whenever an AOE goes off in its vicinity.

A level 5 wolf has a +5 Dex save, meaning a 55% chance of saving. The Ranger's proficiency bonus gets added to pretty much every roll it makes.

Juriel

First Post
A level 5 wolf has a +5 Dex save, meaning a 55% chance of saving. The Ranger's proficiency bonus gets added to pretty much every roll it makes.

Where does this keep coming from? Pets only add proficiency bonus to saves they are proficient with, any they are proficient with NO saves, so.

Remove ads