D&D 5E Aboleth entry in 5e Monster Manual

Sitara

Explorer
What are your thoughts on the new Aboleth? I like the lore, it is quite similar to classic Aboleth lore, except for one STUPID new piece: Now when an Aboleth is killed it reincarnates on the plane of water. :-S B-)

What the heck is this bull crap? First, how/why would the Aboleth's reincarnate? They don't believe in any deity. And why the plane of water? They are not water elementals or anything natural. They are aberrations! They aren't even fish! An aberration appearing on an elemental plane would draw the wrath of every elemental there.

Finally, the aboleth doesn't have any teleportation/plane shift abilities. How would it return to the prime material plane after reincarnation??

Can anyone make sense of this? Or is everyone just ignoring this new bit of lore?

Nebulous

Legend
I did not notice that bit. I was more put off by the illustration of the aboleth, which is not as good as any prior rendition of the monster in any edition of the game. In my opinion.

Ragmon

Explorer
Can anyone make sense of this? Or is everyone just ignoring this new bit of lore?

No I can not make sense of it. Yea, just ignore it.

PS: Anyone, go key the persons car who wrote this BS. :D

Mod Note: To be clear - it is significantly uncool to suggest harm to the person or property of people over a monster entry. It isn't funny. It isn't in perspective. Please don't do it. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
I wager its to mimic the "immortal alien horror" concept; they long ago mastered a fail-safe that allows them to cheat death by being reborn (take that Death God!) in a hospitable environment far away from its killers.

You don't kill aboleths, you just inconvenience them.

I at first thought it weird, but then I thought it might be kind of like a contingency thing.
I wager its to mimic the "immortal alien horror" concept; they long ago mastered a fail-safe that allows them to cheat death by being reborn (take that Death God!) in a hospitable environment far away from its killers.

You don't kill aboleths, you just inconvenience them.
that is a much better way of saying what I was thinking

Astrosicebear

First Post
One could arrange a whole campaign around this.

Imagine if every aboleth wasnt an individual but a fragment of one collective mind. Possibly an old god long thought dead, but somehow finding a way to exist.

Nebulous

Legend
Yeah, i don't really have a problem with the reincarnation on the elemental plane of water; they just didn't expand on it beyond the initial premise.

Remove ads