SPOILERS RULES

Janx

Hero
Sure! Same rule as always. Once it's released, it's fair game.

One bummer of the Spoiler thing and the All-at-once release style of Amazon/Netflix original series like Jessica Jones is that I pretty much can't participate in the thread because I'm a few days behind in watching them all and somebody's going to talk about the whole series because they gorged on it.

Not anybody's fault, but I kind of miss the One episode/one thread style of discussion that helped pace discussion of a show vs. spoilage.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One bummer of the Spoiler thing and the All-at-once release style of Amazon/Netflix original series like Jessica Jones is that I pretty much can't participate in the thread because I'm a few days behind in watching them all and somebody's going to talk about the whole series because they gorged on it.

Not anybody's fault, but I kind of miss the One episode/one thread style of discussion that helped pace discussion of a show vs. spoilage.

So start one episode/one thread threads. I personally start series threads as I prefer that, but you can start whatever threads you want!

Janx

Hero
So start one episode/one thread threads. I personally start series threads as I prefer that, but you can start whatever threads you want!

I like the series threads for stuff that is released on a weekly basis (like Walking Dead), but the all-at-once thing really kind of skews the whole matter as there is always that dude who watched it right when it unlocked...

I'll start an Ep 1 discussion of the Man in the High Castle, as we just watched that last night... see how it goes...

CapnZapp

Legend
1) If a thread is not marked with the tag [SPOILERS]
A clarification, if I may...

By "tag" you mean the graphic symbol right next to threads, right? Politics is white text on black background, Religion is red text on white background, TV has a television icon right next to it and so on...

But you can only choose one of these right?

So how do you tag a thread with Spoilers if you also want to tag it as Marvel or DC Comics or Movies, say?

Or do you literally mean that the thread title should start with the characters [, S, P, O, I, L, E, R, S, and ]?

Have a nice day,
Zapp

PS. Not trying to be onboxious. I guess another way of phrasing this could be: Do you use "tag" to mean two things?

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Sure! Same rule as always. Once it's released, it's fair game.
Okay, so if I'm late to a show, I can't really read any thread on that episode?

Not complaining, just thinking it's possible to label something as spoilery years after release. It's common for sites to separate the production blurb about a movie from a full synopsis, for instance. The first kind is non-spoilery by design as it is meant to make you curious about how the film ends; the second spoils everything.

But perhaps you have concluded you have little or no discussion on shows and movies that isn't inherently spoilery, and so you've decided to limit the "spoiler alert" to prerelease info for that reason?

Regards,
Zapp

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A clarification, if I may...

By "tag" you mean the graphic symbol right next to threads, right? Politics is white text on black background, Religion is red text on white background, TV has a television icon right next to it and so on...

But you can only choose one of these right?

So how do you tag a thread with Spoilers if you also want to tag it as Marvel or DC Comics or Movies, say?

Or do you literally mean that the thread title should start with the characters [, S, P, O, I, L, E, R, S, and ]?

Have a nice day,
Zapp

PS. Not trying to be onboxious. I guess another way of phrasing this could be: Do you use "tag" to mean two things?

A word in the title.

CapnZapp

Legend
Spoiler tags used to work, but they don't translate to a lot of the recent ways to view forums (Tapatalk, etc.) and, let's face it, they're a bit of a pain the ass.
The sblock tags work on desktop.

The spoiler tag hides info on mobile, but only works properly in the app (it's broken in the mobile skin).

Using both tags (one nested inside the other) does prevent spoilers everywhere. Like this:

[SBLOCK]
Info here can't be seen anywhere.

SBLOCK protects it from desktop browsers (and the SPOILER tag remains visible).

SPOILER protects it from the app (and I guess readers using the mobile skin, which won't be able to read it at all), where SBLOCK tags remain visible.

It's not pretty but at least this text is safe from accidental viewing.
[/SBLOCK]
(You can't see the spoilered text if you're using the mobile skin, which you are by default if you're browsing here using your phone. It's basically just saying that)

CapnZapp

Legend
A SPOILER counts as information prior to FIRST BROADCAST. This includes set photos, leaks, etc. It does NOT include official trailers or promotional materials.

So, if a thread does not have the [SPOILERS] tag, you are safe to view it if the show/movie has not shown anywhere yet.

I think that makes it as simple as it can be! If you see a spoiler in a on-spoiler thread, report it and a moderator can move it to a spoiler thread if necessary.
I don't know what to think about this.

As written, this makes everything unsafe as soon as a show has been released. Yes, released. This is the age of Netflix after all, where whole seasons are dumped at once.

I could have started a thread on Altered Carbon Friday, with no spoiler tag in the thread title, and immediately told how ep 10 ends, and still technically not be in breach of your policy.

You can well have visitors wanting to discuss a show with a full season (or I guess you call'em series?) available, but they still want a spoiler-free debate.

Why would a spoiler not count as a spoiler as soon as it becomes theoretically possible to have seen it all?

I think you would be better served saying a spoiler counts as such for *at least* two weeks after release, giving most people time to catch up.

Or why not ask people not to discuss whole seasons in a single thread? Threads for individual episodes, there the policy makes sense.

Regards

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads