Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The latest tidbit:
IAgO65M.jpg

That’s a salami & portobello mushroom cap sandwich on oatnut bread with mayo, brown mustard, provolone and spinach. Sides were Snyder’s Butter Snaps and some marinated onions.

Gustoso!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Shroom Sandwich var.#2:
OXAk7bZ.jpg

Another oven-baked portobello cap, this time filled with Dietz & Watson Steakhouse Onion cheddar, some slices of Boar’s Head roast beef, mayo and mustard on a pretzel roll. The sandwich was assembled after zapping the cheese-topped cap in the microwave for 30sec. I should have added the beef, too. That was the only mistake. (Mis-steak?)

The end result was similar to a Philly cheesesteak, so definitely worth doing again in the future.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight’s dinner was Shroom Sandwich 2.1. I did warm the beef this time, which was good. I also added a slice of Swiss, which was also good.

I also sprinkled some finely ground thyme on it, which was just OK.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Because it’s a Friday in Lent, Shroom Sandwich #2.2 was purely vegetarian. I doubled the onion cheddar, mayoed up the sliced pretzel roll, then added a smear- @2tsp of olive tapenade.

It was a lot better than I expected. In some ways, it was the best iteration of SS#2.

Still have 2 caps left...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight’s experiment: smoked sausage, salami, Swiss and spinach on sourdough.

I predict there will be much...
[video=youtube;7WYHMUj2VLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYHMUj2VLk[/video]

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mom came up with a new one for herself tonight: deli beef tongue with mayo and pickled artichoke hearts on toasted roasted clove garlic bread.

Even if I had wanted to taste it- which I assure you I didn’t- she probably wouldn’t have shared.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
GXrgtxY.jpg

That’s something I whipped up following a trip to the Farmers’ Market and a local upscale grocery. That’s a bakery-fresh onion roll, topped with Black Forest ham, roasted chicken, Butterkäse, American cheese (the legit deli sliced original, not Kraft “cheese product” slices), radish sprouts, mayo, mustard and black pepper. It was very tasty, but I didn’t put enough of the radish sprouts on there for their slightly peppery flavor to come through.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight’s sandwich:
Rosemary & olive oil bread
Mayo
Slices of medium-rare ribeye steak
Pickled red onions
Smoked Gruyere cheese
Black pepper

As sides, I had some fried pita chips alternatingly topped garlic & basil spread (looked like guacamole) or three-layer dip (sheep feta, basil pesto, and diced tomatoes), all from a vendor at my local Farmers’ Market.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Made chicken salad sandwiches for dinner tonight, using our local Kroger’s revised high end chicks salad. It’s a pretty decent commercial chicken salad, and it paired nicely with the mayo, fancy Dijon mustard and fresh-baked breads we used. Unlike many of the fancy chicken salads I’ve seen lately (which frequently added grapes and pecans), this was almost purely white chicken breast, mayo and seasonings, with just a hint of finely diced celery.

Results were good...and quickly eaten!

...but the REAL kicker was this pecan infused balsamic vinegar I picked up at the local Farmers’ Market:
https://texasoliveranch.com/product/balsamic-vinegar/pecan-infused-balsamic-vinegar/

I tasted a swig of it from a ramekin separately first, and it delivered an almost sweet & sour candy effect. When I drizzled this stuff on the sandwiches, the hint of sweetness took the edge off of the saltiness, and loosened up the chicken salad juuuuust a little bit more.

I really liked this vinegar. But I’m at a bit of a loss as his best to use it. It will definitely get drizzled on other sandwiches. And the site mentions using it as an ice cream topping.

But I rarely bring ice cream home. And this stuff won’t work on every sandwich. It probably wouldn’t make a good caprese, either.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases