D&D 3E/3.5 5E Feats Compared to 3E Feats

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I'm curious. Why do you think that two-handers are hands down superior?

Because the math makes it so. I've been looking over the monster manual and AC options. As you get higher level with bounded accuracy, creatures have an easier time hitting. The only difference between a 2hander and a sword and board is roughly 4 points o AC. Where as the damage difference between a 2hander and a 1hander is 10 to 12 points a hit, nearly 200% more damage. Not to mention AC does not help against attacks that require saves, which become more prevalent at higher level. Thus spiking damage will become more important than roughly 4 difference in AC.

Damage spikes also work more effectively with actions like Help (giving advantage to attacks), spikes on D20 rolls from inspiration and bless, and attack boosts like those from Action surge with superiority dice, or anything that gives advantage on attack rolls.

Advantage on attack rolls makes up easily for AC differences. Thus spiking damage from the feat that allows +10 damage for a -5 hit roll exceeds the advantage of a 4 AC difference. That advantage only goes up as you level and gain access to more abilities that boost hit roll and fight monsters where offense is far more important than the defense bonus provided by AC. Bounded accuracy puts a higher premium on damage and attack roll spiking effects, which two-hander fighting has and the others do not. Even the bonus action attack was given to two-handers making the bonus action attack for two-weapon fighters pointless.

The numbers will bear this out as more people play the game to high level and see the effect of magic items, spells, and the ease of providing advantage to a melee attacker's attack rolls.

Hereticus

First Post
My interpretation of the 3.0/3.5/PF feats is that they are worth one stat point.

In 5.0 every four levels we are allowed an increase in two stat points, or as an option to take one feat.

My interpretation of the 5.0 feats is that they are worth between two and three stat points.

Paraxis

Explorer
I agree that 2-hander is the most damaging, but having the bonus action attack lets you spread the damage out to different opponents and when you can move between attacks that is pretty helpful. The shield master feat increases your and some of your allies damage output by letting you shove an enemy prone and getting advantage on attacks against it, it also helps against spells and effects. We also don't know how they are going to handle magic shields yet, if they give a bonus to AC just like armor at higher levels having a shield will be the only option to have ridiculously high AC.

I am not a math guy so not sure how all of this breaks down but, I think a well balanced group should have a mix of types a shield users to be on the front lines, a 2-hander for single target damage, and a dual wielder to take care of minions and stragglers.

Hereticus

First Post
I agree that 2-hander is the most damaging, but having the bonus action attack lets you spread the damage out to different opponents and when you can move between attacks that is pretty helpful. The shield master feat increases your and some of your allies damage output by letting you shove an enemy prone and getting advantage on attacks against it, it also helps against spells and effects. We also don't know how they are going to handle magic shields yet, if they give a bonus to AC just like armor at higher levels having a shield will be the only option to have ridiculously high AC.

I am not a math guy so not sure how all of this breaks down but, I think a well balanced group should have a mix of types a shield users to be on the front lines, a 2-hander for single target damage, and a dual wielder to take care of minions and stragglers.

I chose to have my mountain dwarf fighter (battle master) guild artisan use a great maul rather than two axes, which was about style over math.

It bothers be on some level when decisions are made purely for math.

I chose heavy armor master as my first feat over sentinel, which would have been a better strategic choice. I made my own plate mail, so my ability to shrug off damage with it is a tremendous source of pride.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
We're a bit off topic now, but a shield-using fighter doesn't "just" have more AC. He also has better dex saves and basically evasion, he can protect an ally as a reaction, and he can shove as a bonus action. Plus he's free to go the Dex route for even better saves, initiative, and so on.

Ragmon

Explorer
Its hard to compare, my reasoning is based on that 3.5 has a ton of additional feat types due to supplements:

- Tactical feats: These provide multiple functions, similar to 5e feats. Tho they require a lot of other feats.
- Reserve feats: At-will abilities, scaling with spell levels.
- Heritage feats (and the like): Taking more of the same type of heritage feats synergies with each other (gainig more bonuses the more feats you have of the same type.
- Devotion feats: Grants you diverse abilities based on the type of domain you choose.
- Exalted feats: Now these give you rather interesting abilities in exchange for role-playing restrictions.
- Vile feats: Its a mixed bag.

IMO its hard to compare 3.5 E feats with 5E feats. The more we move away from from core 3.5E the more the feats overshadow the 5e feats in shear power. That and that most 3.5 feats have requirements, that and 5e's feats are optional.

just my 2 coppers.

ccooke

Adventurer
The problem is, while 5e has a standard candle to compare feats to - an ability score increase - 3e does not. There is a wild variation in the power levels of feats. a 5e feat might be worth anywhere from two to four 3e feats, depending on which ones you look at.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I chose to have my mountain dwarf fighter (battle master) guild artisan use a great maul rather than two axes, which was about style over math.

It bothers be on some level when decisions are made purely for math.

I chose heavy armor master as my first feat over sentinel, which would have been a better strategic choice. I made my own plate mail, so my ability to shrug off damage with it is a tremendous source of pride.

There will always be people that make choices according to style. But power gamers will decide based on effectiveness. Two-hander fighting spikes damage substantially.

Remove ads