Magic items that give feats...

Arravis

First Post
I know there are a number of magic items that enhance the user with a feat... would it be possible to make an item that allows you access to item creation feats? Could there be a Amulet of Wondrous Item Creation?

Archer

First Post
I don't like the system of requiring a ton of feats to create items. You need the base feat and then you probably want artisan and then you probably want efficient creation on that so you only spend 18 days instead of 180 making an expensive item. That's 3 feats just to make one category of item. You still have to pay xp to make an item so it just seems overly burdensome.

Making a item creation feat item is only a logical progression from a magic anvil that allows faster masterwork item creation.

hammymchamham

First Post
their are items that give a bonus to craft. um yeah, thats not what you're looking for, but most of the feats that are granted are combat oriented feats, not iteam creation feats.

Hashmalum

Explorer
I don't like the system of requiring a ton of feats to create items.
You don't need a ton of feats. You just need one.
You need the base feat and then you probably want artisan and then you probably want efficient creation on that so you only spend 18 days instead of 180 making an expensive item. That's 3 feats just to make one category of item. You still have to pay xp to make an item so it just seems overly burdensome.
You seem bothered by the fact that not just any Joe Schmoe can make an item as efficiently as someone who has devoted a considerable portion of their time and energy (in the form of feats) to mastering their craft. Does it seem unfair to you that not just anyone can pick up a sword and gain four attacks per round, or pick up a spellbook and fling 9th level spells, or shoot an arrow at every target in sight in a single round? If it does, then you are playing the wrong game. The base item creation feats alone are useful enough that some people actually consider them overpowered and ban or restrict them in their games.

As for Efficient Item Creation, that's an epic feat--it's an ability intended to be far beyond what lesser characters can hope to achieve. There are great rewards to making it to 21st level and beyond and Efficient Item Creation is one of them. It's a bonus, not an essential.

As for the idea of an item creation feat item, I'd make it unbelievably expensive, so much so that it probably isn't worth the players' effort to obtain it. I seem to recall that the forge of power used in 1st Edition by dwarves to forge magic weapons was quite expensive and extremely limited to boot--no weapons stronger than +1, or +3 if the hammer of substance was also used. Magic items that allow the creation of other magic items should IMO be so hard to obtain that they are only found in the hands of those who can make optimum use of them and have a real need for them--in the heart of a major stronghold menaced by damage resistant creatures, used by master smiths working in shifts around the clock, for example.

Remove ads