Suffocation Spells! (Was --Is this spell's level correct as written?)

Mordane76

First Post
Ti'akul's Frozen Breath
Evocation (Cold)
Level:Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: See text
Duration: 10 minute/level
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: No

An ingenious spell developed by the ancient arcanist Ti'akul, this spell freezes the air in a target's lungs, which will suffocate that target. The caster must make a ranged touch attack against the intended target; if he hits, the target may make a Reflex save to avoid the spell's effects. If the target fails, the air in his respiratory passages freezes, and the target immediately begins to suffocate as per the rules on suffocation presented in core rulebook II, page 88. The frozen air also reduces the time a target can effectively hold their breath by half, as the cold damages their delicate membranes. This spell has no effect on creatures that do not breathe.
Material components: an ice cube, which is hurled at the target as part of the spell; the ice cube need not actually strike the target for the spell to take effect.

Last edited:

Hashmalum

Explorer
It doesn't seem overpowered to me, at least not when compared to polymorph other to turn the target into a fish out of water. Polymorph other doesn't require a ranged touch attack in addition to a saving throw. But this spell cuts in half the amount of time the target can hold its breath, and can't be dealt with by throwing the victim into the nearest puddle.

It seems that creatures that don't have lungs should be immune to this spell.

You might want to detail what effects, if any, it has on speaking. It would also be helpful to have some rules in case players try to overcome the effect by breathing in hot air from a fire, or exposing themselves to heat or fire damage.

Speaking of 4th level spells that suffocate their targets, here's one of mine. Yeah, I know I need to come up with some rules for freeing oneself by brute strength once the spell ends:

Blackstone's Hasty Interral
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One Large-size or smaller creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Source: Original
This spell can only be cast at a creature on earth, mud, clay, loose gravel, or a similar earthen surface. This causes dozens of earthen hands to form from the surface and pull the target down. If the target makes a Strength check (the DC is the spell's saving throw), the spell ends. Otherwise, the target is rendered prone and is pulled 6 feet underground, where he is held for the spell's duration. (The rules for Suffocation, on page 88 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, are likely to be applicable.) Creatures that cannot be grabbed and held by the hands, such as oozes, incorporeal creatures, and creatures in gaseous form, are effectively immune to the spell.

This spell can be countered or dispelled by freedom.

Material components: A miniature shovel and a pinch of earth from a grave.

Comments on this spell welcomed as well.

Mordane76

First Post
Re: Is this spell's level correct as written?

Okay -- I'll give it a bit more of a go, then... :)

Ti'akul's Frozen Breath
Evocation (Cold)
Level:Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: See text
Duration: 10 minute/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: No

An ingenious spell developed by the ancient arcanist Ti'akul, this spell freezes the air in a target's lungs, which will suffocate that target. The caster must make a ranged touch attack against the intended target; if he hits, the target may make a Reflex save to avoid the spell's effects. If the target fails, the air in his respiratory passages freezes, and the target immediately begins to suffocate as per the rules on suffocation presented in core rulebook II, page 88. The frozen air also reduces the time a target can effectively hold their breath by half, as the cold damages their delicate membranes.

While this spell is in effect, the target cannot speak, because he cannot pass air out of his lungs, which prevents spellcasters from casting spells with verbal components. Also, the frozen air is a continuing effect, which means that one cannot forcibly melt the ice with hot air or exposure to fire -- a dispel magic or break enchantment will end the spell's effects, and allow normal melting of the ice.

This spell has no effect on creatures that do not breathe.

Material components: an ice cube, which is hurled at the target as part of the spell; the ice cube need not actually strike the target for the spell to take effect.

EDIT: Changed to "Fortitude negates" and clarified the breaking of the effect.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
This looks like a much more balanced version of the miasma spell in MotW. Not bad! I'd make it a Fort save to avoid the effects, though. A Ref save implies dodging out of the way; and that's already handled via the ranged touch attack.

Mordane76

First Post
I was worried about the Fortitude versus Reflex save issue as well, and I went with Reflex save on th basis of the area that's being targeted -- the spell isn't really affecting the target, but the air inside the target. However, after adding the snippet about halving suffocation time, I think Fortitude might be appropriate now.

Thanks for the feedback, and the compliment! :)

Mordane76

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
I agree with Hong, except for the 'SR: No' bit. Change it to 'SR: Yes', and it will be fine.

Geoff.

As the true target of the spell is the air within the creature's lungs, I have to say no on the SR bit. The creature isn't within the area of the spell, the area of the spell is within the creature; it might seem like semantics, but it does use the explanation of SR from the DMG to its advantage. If this makes the spell more powerful, should I bump it up to 5th level?

Last edited:

Mordane76

First Post
Hashmalum said:
Blackstone's Hasty Interral
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One Large-size or smaller creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Source: Original
This spell can only be cast at a creature on earth, mud, clay, loose gravel, or a similar earthen surface. This causes dozens of earthen hands to form from the surface and pull the target down. If the target makes a Strength check (the DC is the spell's saving throw), the spell ends. Otherwise, the target is rendered prone and is pulled 6 feet underground, where he is held for the spell's duration. (The rules for Suffocation, on page 88 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, are likely to be applicable.) Creatures that cannot be grabbed and held by the hands, such as oozes, incorporeal creatures, and creatures in gaseous form, are effectively immune to the spell.

This spell can be countered or dispelled by freedom.

Material components: A miniature shovel and a pinch of earth from a grave.

As for your spell -- does the interment leave a loose dirt or is the place where the target is dragged under left as though he never entered the earth? This would make a difference in how hard it is to dig ones' self out of the ground after the duration.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Mordane76 said:

As the true target of the spell is the air within the creature's lungs, I have to say no on the SR bit. The creature isn't within the area of the spell, the area of the spell is within the creature; it might seem like semantics, but it does use the explanation of SR from the DMG to its advantage. If this makes the spell more powerful, should I bump it up to 5th level?

That IS just semantics.
It directly affects (suffocates) the target, they should get SR.

A fireball doesn't directly affect any creature, it just makes the air really hot, so it shouldn't have SR either, if we use semantics.

Don't bump it up, give it SR.
Maybe make it 6th level. (It has a save, so making it SR:No isn't extremely powerful).

Geoff.

Mordane76

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
A fireball doesn't directly affect any creature, it just makes the air really hot, so it shouldn't have SR either, if we use semantics.

From the PHB
A fireball is a burst of fire that emanates...

A fireball is not just making the air really hot -- it is actually hitting everyone in the area with a magically-created burst of fire, so it is directly affecting everyone in its area.

Last edited:

Remove ads