D&D 5E A wizard with a "Boots of Elvenkind" using inivisibility spell

maritimo80

First Post
A wizard with a "Boots of Elvenkind" using inivisibility spell like someone could detect it if it can not be seen and does not make noise when moving?

This combination has created a big problem in the game, because not find anything in the rule covering this, and I'm very easy wizard just disappear, and no one able to use your perception against him.

What an enemy could roll to perceive the Wizard Invisible with Elvenkind boots ?

To the Wizard hiding successfully, he simply invisible?

Someone could crawl or perceive the Sorcerer by their footprints?

--------------------------------------

Boots of Elvenkind

Uncommon wondrous Item

These soft, supple boots feature intricate leaf patterns sewn into the leather. An elf who sees a non-­‐elf wearing these boots typically assumes that they are stolen. In some cases, however, boots of elvenkind are presented
as gifts to the elves’ most trusted and valued allies.

Property: While you wear boots of elvenkind, your movement makes no sound, regardless of the surface you move across, even if dry leaves cover it, it is a creaky floor, or is covered by loose gravel or broken glass.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Well, invisible people still have mass so they displace things (eg.: drapes, cobwebs and yes, powder and dirt on the flooring).

If I expected invisible people around (and that's a BIG if, but it really depends on the situation) I'd spill at least some flour on the ground; Elven Boots just dampen the sound.

Add to that also the eventual mud, or the footprints left behind (which I don't think they're made invisible by the spell, though someone could correct me).

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I would allow perception, just make it harder. Someone with tracking would be be particularly able to notice that there are tracks, but they indicate someone is still there. For others, grass or dirt would be depressed where the character's standing. An npc with very good perception might notice a cessation of a draft when the wiz moves through a doorway or near him. (I saw that one in a Zelazny book). Creatures with echolocation or tremorsense would still perceive him. Anything that can detect magic or life force as well.

Nebulous

Legend
A wizard with a "Boots of Elvenkind" using inivisibility spell like someone could detect it if it can not be seen and does not make noise when moving?

This combination has created a big problem in the game, because not find anything in the rule covering this, and I'm very easy wizard just disappear, and no one able to use your perception against him.

What an enemy could roll to perceive the Wizard Invisible with Elvenkind boots ?

To the Wizard hiding successfully, he simply invisible?

Someone could crawl or perceive the Sorcerer by their footprints?

--------------------------------------

Boots of Elvenkind

Uncommon wondrous Item

Just to clarify, does one of the players have the boots and the invisibility spell, and this person is using it in a way that feels unfair, because monsters cannot detect him? Like, at all? Now, i would say that you have a potent combination there, and as such, it would be nearly impossible to detect such a stealthily masked person. Especially if your common foe is unaware and unprepared for a silenced, invisible enemy. That in itself, i don't think you can really do much about. It is what it is. It would be a very high Perception DC, regardless. Scent and tremorsense and lifesense would bypass it, mostly.

I think you have a couple of options if this combo is really bothering you. Introduce some enemies who can see through invisibility, dispel the invisibility, or find a way to remove the boots of elvenkind from the character.

Ragmon

Explorer
Off the top of my head:
- Blind sense
- Blind sight
- Tremor sense
- Life sense
- Scent

Spell:
- Dispel magic
- Anti-magic field
- See invisible
- True seeing
- Detect magic
- Arcane sight
- Glitter dust
- Detect that specific type of creature, or alignment.

General stuff:
- Track
- Successful listen check

Gilladian

Adventurer
Also, don't forget sense of smell. Animals would know someone was nearby, and react. And they still can make noise with the rest of their body, or movements. Creaking door hinges, tinkling bead curtains, moving plant fronds, interrupted water spray, etc.. Or just knocking things over in a crowded room.

If you as DM realize this is a broken combination, talk to the player and maybe limit how often the item works. 2 hours a day, or something similar.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Off the top of my head:
- Blind sense
- Blind sight
- Tremor sense
- Life sense
- Scent

Spell:
- Dispel magic
- Anti-magic field
- See invisible
- True seeing
- Detect magic
- Arcane sight
- Glitter dust
- Detect that specific type of creature, or alignment.

General stuff:
- Track
- Successful listen check

All of these work except the last one. NPCs cannot make a successful listen check against a PC that has the boots on. Even the sound of the PC's armor is part of sound caused by movement.

KarinsDad

Adventurer

My suggestion is to not worry about it.

Our DM handed out a magic item at low level that was too powerful for our group. As we gain levels, the item becomes less and less powerful.

The same will happen with the wizard and the boots. Eventually, the PCs will run into encounters where that combination does not matter.

For example, enemy area effect damaging spells. Or traps that the wizard does not perceive. Walking around invisible, he'll sometimes walk right into a trap. Or creatures with the special senses and the ability to sense him.

Also, if the wizard is concentrating on invisibility, he is not getting the advantage of other concentration spells, nor is he able to cast a spell or attack without going visible. Although this really protects a wizard, it also really hampers him as well. What good is a wizard who cannot cast a spell? And if he does it multiple times, he's sucking up second level spell slots.

Think of it as a minor bump in the road instead of a problem. It's only a problem in your game if you perceive it to be a problem in your game, so don't perceive it that way.

Nebulous

Legend
It's a potent combination, no doubt. As a DM, you would have to sort of pre-plan a workaround and re-evaluate threats if it is starting to feel like a cakewalk. Personally, if a player was getting uber-cocky, I'd keep letting him think that until he got into a situation where it all got stripped away suddenly. Very scary.

Remove ads