D&D 5E With the Holy Trinity out, let's take stock of 5E

After skimming through the Big Three and playing for a couple of sessions I can say that like this edition of D&D much more than I thought I would ; the DMG is a surprisingly pleasant reading in its own right, and it reminds me of the writing quality of the AD&D 2e DMG, which I loved as a kid.

That said, I must also say that rule-wise I am a bit disappointed by the excessive simplification (the reach rules for example, with their questionable "donut of safety" effect) and by the overlapping of abilities which the bounded accuracy approach made necessary. For our current game I rolled a strenght-based Mountain Dwarf Fighter (I love playing martial character and it was actually refreshing to find out that I had no longer to be a dmm:persistent cleric not to suck at it) and I noticed that all the combat features of my race beside the ability bonuses were absolutely useless to a martial character...the system is basically telling me that dwarves undergo a significant martial training but those actually pursuing a martial career will have no benefit for that, whereas a wizard or a bard would.

Heck, I cannot even brag about my ability to move faster in heavy armor as my strenght is already above 15 anyway (assuming that actual encumbrance rules are not in effect, as those completely void this feature regardless of the character's Strenght score.) I understand that one of the tenets of bounded accuracy is "raise the floor, not the ceiling" but really... couldn't they simply think of minor bonuses (a +1 to damage with Hammer and Axes, for example, and 1 DR when wearing medium or heavy armor) so that these racial abilities wouldn't become obsolete before actually seeing play for the character class that in theory is the most iconic for that race (so much that the sample character used in the creation chapter is Bruenor Battlehammer?).

Other instances of overlapping that I found disappointing are the (non)stacking rules for advantage/disadvantage, the way a Bear Totem Barbarian cannot tank for another one of his kind...again minor things that betray the devs intent to keep everybody in a very narrow headroom, except maybe for Simulacrum spamming cabals and the ever-strong Druidzilla.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Having just received my DMG and browsed it for the first time today, the sparkly-eyed delight I apparently demonstrated tells me I wasn't disappointed. Speaking to the edition overall, it's working extremely well for us at the moment.

The_Gneech

Explorer
The one thing I'd really like though is more adventure support. If they could just adopt an adventure/support system like Paizo then I could be incredibly happy with this edition.

Ditto. What I want from now on is shelves of single-adventure modules that I can string together, run independently, or just disassemble for desired component parts.

In short, I want Dungeon magazine back.

APs? No thank you. Splatbooks? Mmmmmmaaybe, but probably nah.

Just a metric boatload of adventures, please.

-The Gneech :cool:

Nebulous

Legend
Ditto. What I want from now on is shelves of single-adventure modules that I can string together, run independently, or just disassemble for desired component parts.

-The Gneech :cool:

I love adventures as much as anyone, but i guess I don't need an endless river of them. There's only so much time in the world, and i've found that 5e is easy to adapt to older scenarios. I guess what I'd like to see in a year from now is a metric ton of feedback from gamers that reveal any holes, shortcomings, missed opportunities or flat out mistakes that might exist, and a way to patch those up. Whether this is in an official hardback or online supplement, either way works for me.

Agglomérante

First Post

My sentiments exactly, Gneech. I'm having fun extending Wave Echo Cave but modifying adventures is about all I have time for.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
So far, my only real disappointment is the spineless, weak-kneed art trying so hard to be inoffensive rather than exciting. As I've said before, when the kobold is drawn more heroically than any PC in the Player's Handbook, you know you've done something wrong. The only thing the art directors felt brave enough to make exciting was the monsters.

But you don't play art. You play the game. And the game is terrific.

Raith5

Adventurer
In 5E you don't need need house rules, but they're easy to add in.

This, to me, may be why 5E is so brilliant.

The great new achievement of 5E may be exactly this. For some it will be their game, for other it could be a foundation for their game. In terms of the 5E game I am playing it it reminds me of 1E/3E. I dont grok it as a new special experience. I dont mind this playstyle but I have "been there done that" a lot over the last 30 years. But yeah you could build some new elements of late 3.5E and 4E, or something new on the 5E foundation.

Remove ads