Traveller5 RPG Core Rules

2 out of 5 rating for Traveller5 RPG Core Rules

I bought this by supporting the kickstarter, one-hundred and fifty dollars. I have loved Traveller since I first found the LBB on a games store shelf way back in 1980 (The Gamer's Ark in T.O. for anyone that remembers). The writing was sparse but what little there was galvanized my imagination. I awaited the arrival of the 'definitive' Traveller T5 with rapt anticipation--only to find a mish-mash of rules, I mean the frame-work and the expected tables are there but the (forgive my hyperbole) soul of Traveller is not. This version of Traveller is so arcane and poorly organized that to my mind it is virtually unplayable! The crisp minimized design of the original has been replaced with pages crowded with a confusing data dump of information. I honestly don't know what MM was thinking but this book gives me a headache just to look at it.

Umbrathys

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Traveller5 RPG Core Rules

I have played Traveller since the early 80's. I have enjoyed and actively played all versions that have existed (especially liking the tech-crunch happiness of TNE). I was extremely excited to find out that the "ultimate version" of Traveller was in development. Unfortunately, what I purchased is so overly complex and arcane that I will probably not use this rule book for any game. Too much complexity and too little fluff, which is always required to make a good read in any rule book. I cannot comprehend sufficient information from the presented pages to even get a feel for how this rule-set will play.All-in-all, I can assume this was simply a labor of love for the creator of Traveller. More power to him. It is not, however, a truly playable version of this magnificent game...

1 out of 5 rating for Traveller5 RPG Core Rules

This was supposed to be Marc Miller’s personal Magnus Opus, but the result was well nigh disastrous. At nearly 600+ pages long the rules density is practically impenetrable for all but the most seasoned Traveller grognard, and it has no index. There are tables after tables, which is a staple of Traveller generally, but here taken to an entirely excessive level. Many are not fully explained, placed in no contextual order and the text itself is riddled with errors. While the layout is basic, it does have a certain style of it’s own and the print size is legible at least. Buried in the book there are some innovations, but you’ll have to dig hard. Definitely not for the casual gamer, and certainly not the best port of call for a beginner interested in the Traveller game.

Waller

Legend

My god, this thing is awful. An enormous mess of bad art, hundreds of tables, and bad math. It's like a stream of consciousness ... for 700 pages!

techno

Explorer

I played Traveller as a teenager and loved it as a sci-fi alternative to D&D. When I saw that MM was making the definitive version of Traveller, I immediately jumped onboard the Kickstarter and pledged $150. When I received the actual book, I was totally disappointed that it was an unplayable mess. It was nothing like the game I had played when I was younger and it was clear that there was little quality control on the book despite the Kickstarter having raised hundreds of thousands of dollars. I felt like I had been taken by MM and will never trust him again. Stay clear of this steaming pile of poorly written junk and just play the Mongoose version.

Remove ads