Pathfinder 1E Wait, the katana only does d8?

Puxido

First Post
I just looked it up in my Ultimate equipment, and it says it does d8, I thought it did d10, same as a bastard sword. I know the bastard sword is bigger than the katana, but I always thought the katana was more "deadlier", and I know the katana has "Deadly" special ability, but that only comes in use during a coup de grace, what do you guys say?

Puxido

First Post
What makes it deadlier? Getting skewered by any sword is pretty much 100% deadly.

Just my opinion I guess. The blade is sharper (The edge of a sword is made from hard steel while the back of the sword is made of soft steel), uses dexterity rather than strength to use, it's curve allows it to be more likely to start with little touching you at first making the the force of the swing pinpointed in a small area rather than spread out across the sword which is a problem with most flat blades. This is what I keep in mind when thinking about Katanas.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just my opinion I guess. The blade is sharper (The edge of a sword is made from hard steel while the back of the sword is made of soft steel), uses dexterity rather than strength to use, it's curve allows it to be more likely to start with little touching you at first making the the force of the swing pinpointed in a small area rather than spread out across the sword which is a problem with most flat blades. This is what I keep in mind when thinking about Katanas.

It's not sharper. And there are lots of curved swords - cutlasses, scimitars, scythes, those Klingon things.

But even if it was sharper, are you saying that being stabbed in the face with a katana is somehow worse than being stabbed in the face with a longsword? Both are going to kill you equally.

Puxido

First Post
It's not sharper. And there are lots of curved swords - cutlasses, scimitars, scythes, those Klingon things.

But even if it was sharper, are you saying that being stabbed in the face with a katana is somehow worse than being stabbed in the face with a longsword? Both are going to kill you equally.

It is sharper, the steel is tempered so the edge of the blade is harder, and harder steel is the sharper an edge it can keep. It's the same concept as a titanium knife can be sharper than one made of bronze. I have put a good amount of time studying Katanas, as they are my favorite of weapons.
I see your point on the second line though, but still, I can see flaw with it in my opinion. Both being stabbed with a katana and a longsword would be deadly, but a katana's sharp edge might be better at it than a dull longsword (Or vice versa, depending on which is sharper atm, though for game mechanics, I'm suggesting we always assume that a katana is sharper than a longsword). And with the logic you suggest, all swords should deal the same damage, no matter what, their all swords and thus equally deadly. I have a good example, I have a knife and a pencil, and decide to go hunting. Now, I find a feral pig, now both might do piercing damage, but it's safe to assume that the knife would be better at the job than a pencil.

Oh, and by the way, those "Klingon things" you refer to are bat'leths, and don't do slicing damage, but piercing damage. Unless you are referring to a Reverse bat'leth, which do exist, but are less common.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Japanese metal was inferior with more impurities so creating the katana with all the folds was intended to make the most of crappy steel. Had the steel they had available as much higher quality, the Japanese probably would have spent less effort in creating their sword.

The katana does have an excellent Critical Hit range, which is an advantage over longsword, or even bastard sword.

Puxido

First Post
Japanese metal was inferior with more impurities so creating the katana with all the folds was intended to make the most of crappy steel. Had the steel they had available as much higher quality, the Japanese probably would have spent less effort in creating their sword.

The katana does have an excellent Critical Hit range, which is an advantage over longsword, or even bastard sword.

Really? I heard that beaches of pure iron were available to them? I don't know much about the quality of iron sand, all I know is that it is available in Japan.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Really? I heard that beaches of pure iron were available to them? I don't know much about the quality of iron sand, all I know is that it is available in Japan.

You're talking about ironsand. It's more common in NZ and the U.S. than Japan, and it's not particularly special. Just another source of iron.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I'm half Japanese and am an amateur historian especially of Japan (but not just). I developed the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) with an intent on more authenticity than most previously published feudal Japan settings. We've even included some tables for the quality of metal available for crafting purposes to be published in the upcoming Kaidan GM setting guide. Japan is a volcanic island chain which means Japan due to geology isn't necessarily mineral/metal resource rich.

Remove ads