D&D 5E Enhancing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I've started posting my own campaign log of our Tyranny of Dragons campaign. For anyone who's interested, it can be found here:

Surprise Lizard Theater presents Tyranny of Dragons!

Also, while trying to find the Steve Winter quote I mentioned in my last post, I discovered that the "Tiamat Tuesdays" blog posts seem to have disappeared from Kobold Press's website. Here are links to the Wayback Machine for the ones that pertain to Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

So You're Running Tyranny of Dragons...
The New Cult of the Dragon
Behind the Scenes of the Dragon Attack Art
Tiers of Tiamat (chapters 1-4)
Closing in on the Cult (chapters 5-8)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Frulam Mondath's Poetry

The book says that the papers on Frulam Mondath's desk in the dragon hatchery are mostly "bad poetry about dragons." When my group heard about this, they all laughed hysterically and proceeded to improvise the poems. I present them here for your entertainment.

Roses are red.
Dragons are red.
They breathe fire,
And then you're all dead.

Violets are blue.
Dragons are blue.
My love for them is true.
They breathe lightning,
And then you're dead too.

Black as a dragon.
Black as night.
I don't know the rest,
So I'll end it right.

Snow is white.
Dragons are white.
They're the opposite of night,
And that's all right.

They didn't do a poem for green, so I'll add that one now...

Dragons are green,
If you know what I mean.
When they breathe on the forest,
They make it quite clean.

And here's Frulam Mondath in a more emo vein:

Black!!!
Black night.
Black dragon.
Black acid.
Black like my tormented soul.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Prepping for Saturday's game. Here's the current situation at Castle Naerytar:

*Pharblex is dead and the bullywugs have been routed.
*Rezmir has left the building, as has Azbara Jos.
*The PCs are heading back to the roadhouse to meet with reinforcements, after they nearly slaughtered each other in a hallucinogenic drug-induced haze.

I'm struggling to figure out how to proceed, specifically in terms of how the cultists and the lizardfolk would respond to any further incursions by the PCs.

First, the lizardfolk. The PCs helped them rise up and overthrow the bullywugs, so in that respect, they owe them big time. And they sort of regard them as saviors, too, thanks to Snapjaw's praise. However, they still work for the cult, and Dralmorrer would undoubtedly order them to stop the PCs from causing any more trouble. At the very least, he'd want them to capture the PCs and bring them to him so he can question them. I'm not sure what the lizardfolk would do in this situation.

Second, the cultists. I feel like I've been playing the overconfidence card for the entire campaign so far. With the PCs unrelentingly dogging their steps all the way from Greenest, surely the cultists would start to get the message that these guys just aren't going to stop. I had Rezmir set up an ambush in Baldur's Gate, but that didn't work. When the cultists figured out who the PCs were on the caravan, they ambushed them and got two of the PCs, but one survived and the other got reincarnated. Now the PCs are showing up at their secret swamp base! Surely the cultists would start being a little more proactive instead of just huddling in the castle waiting to be killed, right? Or continuing to run away, like Rezmir does. Won't Severin be upset that she's allowed this band of troublemakers to disrupt her treasure supply line?

With that in mind, I've still got the cultists I fleshed out for the caravan journey. The PCs' have so far managed to avoid meeting up with them again since the caravan reached Waterdeep. I could perhaps have the higher-ups task them with hunting down the PCs and making sure they succeed at eliminating them this time. Perhaps one of the higher-ups can scry on the PCs so as to make it easier for the would-be assassins to find them in the swamp.

That being said, since the PCs are planning on heading back to the roadhouse, I could make it so the assassination squad is still there (since the PCs have been avoiding them, I've just left their current whereabouts undetermined), and Rezmir or whoever is able to magically contact them and tell them to keep an eye out or whatever.

I'm going to assume that the PCs survive this assassination attempt as well and head back to the castle. Perhaps I could have Snapjaw speak to some lizardfolk and learn that his fellows have been ordered to attempt to capture the PCs alive, so it'd be in the PCs' best interest to sneak back down into the caverns via Pharblex's underwater tunnel, thus avoiding the lizardfolk guards all together.

Any ideas?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Prepping for Saturday's game. Here's the current situation at Castle Naerytar:
Any ideas?

Naerytar isn't your big problem. It's the hunting lodge, Parnast, and Skyreach. As written the module assumes the party quick follows after Rezmir and company as they flee via portal to the Lodge. Since your party's adding at least 5 days round trip, what are Rezmir, Talis, and Company doing in the mean time? I will offer to you that emerging from a hostile portal at the center of a raised, clear, and barren platform is a *bad* place to be when your enemy is expecting you. Especially when you have mid- and high- level casters with access to Glyphs and Symbols among them. For real fun, maybe Rezmir's bringing Skyreach to Naerytar now?

As for what happens at the Roadhouse, your assassination squad's not a bad idea. And with 5 days, maybe the cult's retaken the castle, or the lizardfolk have abandoned it completely. Or possibly even invested it themselves, bringing the rest of the tribe to the castle. If Dralmorrer's around, expect *much* tighter defenses. Also, given Dralmorrer's lack of intercession with the Bullywugs, the lizardfolk may not be all that pleased with the cult.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=786]GuardianLurker[/MENTION]: I don't think the lodge is that big a problem. As written, Rezmir doesn't tell Talis that the PCs are coming, and I don't particularly see any reason to change that. I can see Rezmir hoping that Talis and the PCs will destroy each other. And I can't really see Azbara telling Talis either.

As for Rezmir sending Skyreach to Naerytar? That strikes me as highly implausible for several reasons. One, she's not actually in charge of the castle. Blagothkus is, and I can't really see him wanting to risk his castle on Rezmir's personal vendetta. Also, if she can get the giant to take his castle wherever she wants to, why didn't she just get him to hover over Greenest or wherever so as to avoid having to send the treasure on such a roundabout route?

I may end up having Othelstan put Parnast on higher alert than as written in the module, though.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I've been discussing this off-board with [mention=54629]pukunui,[/mention] but in case it's helpful to anyone else reading the thread, I'll re-post some of my comments here:

I have a couple of thoughts regarding the lizardfolk. The first is to make their indecisiveness into a virtue and let the PCs try to influence them. If they see the PCs, again, have them point weapons at them and say, "Dralmorrer Borngray told us we were to capture you..." But let the PCs see (maybe with a check) that they are not very committed to this course of action. Let the PCs try to talk their way out of it and convince the lizardfolk to let them go, and let the dice determine whether it works or not.

The other thought is, the one being that the lizardfolk would revere over both Dralmorrer and the PCs is Voragamanthar. Since the lizardfolk already know that the PCs have been trusted by the dragon, that might be enough to make them defy Dralmorrer Borngray. At the very least, talking them out of capturing the PCs should be an easy DC.

Re the cultists, in my game, none of the cultists in Castle Naerytar were on the caravan journey. Most of the caravan cultists "got off" in Waterdeep and were awaiting further orders from Rezmir; a select few accompanied the treasure as far as Carnath Roadhouse, and then they also turned around and went back to Waterdeep. The Naerytar group had presumably been there for weeks if not longer, sorting and cleaning treasure as it poured in from the south. So they hadn't heard anything about the PCs. Anyway, page 63 of HotDQ says that Rezmir's next action will be to meet with Captain Othelstan and inform him that adventurers may be arriving, so Parnast should be on high alert.

Interesting point about the trapped suits of armor in the hunting lodge. I didn't even notice that (my group went in through a side door and I don't think they ever even set off the freezing runes). I'd assume that it's a trap for unwary visitors. You could either say that the cultists don't use that door, or else they have a way of passing through without setting off the runes. Maybe if you say "Hail Tiamat" as you pass the armor, the runes don't go off. Or something like that.

===

P.S. I do think the assassination squad is a cool idea, and it will allow you to use some work you previously put in to flesh out cultists. You can leave their location open and toss them in wherever you think the adventure could use a bit of extra action--Carnath, the swamp, Naerytar, or even Parnast.

pukunui

Legend
New question: How have others been handling Trepsin the four-armed troll's muddy cape? Is it a one-time thing? He can ignore the first 10 points of fire damage he takes and that's it? Or is it like DR, allowing him to reduce any fire damage he takes by 10 each time he takes fire damage? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a one-time thing, but I just thought I'd check.

Interesting point about the trapped suits of armor in the hunting lodge. I didn't even notice that (my group went in through a side door and I don't think they ever even set off the freezing runes). I'd assume that it's a trap for unwary visitors. You could either say that the cultists don't use that door, or else they have a way of passing through without setting off the runes. Maybe if you say "Hail Tiamat" as you pass the armor, the runes don't go off. Or something like that.
In case anyone is wondering, I had also made a comment to [MENTION=6702445]jayoungr[/MENTION] about the trapped elven armor in the hunting lodge entrance hall. It seems a bit odd to have it there. The cultists must either use the kitchen door or else Talis only sets up the trap when she isn't expecting anyone (except that the text implies that she *is* expecting some other cultists soon, so ...). I will go with the assumption that there is a password that can bypass the trap - so it works more like a glyph of warding.

EDIT: Something else worth mentioning that I've just noticed is that the helmed horror in the hunting lodge (p. 65) is stated as having a "Spell Storing" trait. The only monster I can find with such a trait is the shield guardian. I wonder if the authors got the two constructs confused when writing that section. As fun as Evard's black tentacles can be, I think I might just leave it out. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
New question: How have others been handling Trepsin the four-armed troll's muddy cape? Is it a one-time thing? He can ignore the first 10 points of fire damage he takes and that's it? Or is it like DR, allowing him to reduce any fire damage he takes by 10 each time he takes fire damage? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a one-time thing, but I just thought I'd check.
My group never met Trepsin :( but I'm pretty sure I would have had it act like DR. Not that that's necessarily right, just that that's how it read to me. But I admit it didn't occur to me that the other reading was possible.

In case anyone is wondering, I had also made a comment to jayoungr about the trapped elven armor in the hunting lodge entrance hall. It seems a bit odd to have it there.
Oopsie. That bit got caught up in the cut-and-paste, and I didn't notice that you hadn't actually asked about that in this thread yet. My bad.

EDIT: Something else worth mentioning that I've just noticed is that the helmed horror in the hunting lodge (p. 65) is stated as having a "Spell Storing" trait. The only monster I can find with such a trait is the shield guardian. I wonder if the authors got the two constructs confused when writing that section. As fun as Evard's black tentacles can be, I think I might just leave it out. What do you guys think?
I didn't notice the mistake, so I left it in. It was fun and provided possibly the only interesting combat situation for my party in the hunting lodge. I think it's worth keeping in, unless you think it will cause PC death.

pukunui

Legend
My group never met Trepsin :( but I'm pretty sure I would have had it act like DR. Not that that's necessarily right, just that that's how it read to me. But I admit it didn't occur to me that the other reading was possible.
My thinking was that the first 10 points of fire damage would dry out / burn up / otherwise render useless the cape. It's possible it's meant to act like DR, though. If so, then you'd really need acid take Trepsin down. Or you'd have to get him to 0 hp and then someone would have to get the cape off him before he got back up again.

Oopsie. That bit got caught up in the cut-and-paste, and I didn't notice that you hadn't actually asked about that in this thread yet. My bad.
No worries. I had thought about asking about it here as well.

I didn't notice the mistake, so I left it in. It was fun and provided possibly the only interesting combat situation for my party in the hunting lodge. I think it's worth keeping in, unless you think it will cause PC death.
I dunno. Practically anything can cause PC death. I'm not worried about that. How did you work out the DC for the spell's saving throws and such?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
My thinking was that the first 10 points of fire damage would dry out / burn up / otherwise render useless the cape. It's possible it's meant to act like DR, though. If so, then you'd really need acid take Trepsin down. Or you'd have to get him to 0 hp and then someone would have to get the cape off him before he got back up again.
Depends on how tough a fight you want it to be and how likely your party is to throw fire, I guess. If your party has a lot of fire spells, then taking off 10 points of damage per attack doesn't seem excessive, but for a light-fire party, it might turn the fight into a very long slog.
I dunno. Practically anything can cause PC death. I'm not worried about that.
Right, you're the one who actually kills his PCs sometimes! :D
How did you work out the DC for the spell's saving throws and such?
I made the DC 15. It seemed comparable with other spell save DCs in that portion of the adventure. Two out of three PCs caught in the effect made their saves.

Remove ads