Rope trick spell - limits?

BMM

First Post
Please, help me out. What exactly can you do while hiding in an extradimensional space created by the rope trick spell?

For example,

Can you sleep?
Can you cast spells on yourself or the others?
Can you prepare your spells?

And with extend(?) spell ...
Can you rest AND prepare your spells?

Last edited:

Ferox4

First Post
Ditto. Though I wonder about it being overly powerful for its level. I'll be interested to see if others have placed limits on its use.

Darklone

Limit is easy

Let some gnolls with scent walk below. They'll find it and toast the PCs. It's easy to find and easy to attack. Some monsters could even build an ambush around it, climb PCs are soooo easy targets.

godfear

Explorer
The scaling of the spell is a pretty good limit to it; as I recall, it lasts for one hour per level. You'd have to be 8th level before you could actually sleep to recover spells, and only if you fell straight to sleep after climbing inside, and that leaves no time to study in the morning (in relative safety, anyway). Besides, you've got access to Leomund's spells to protect you while you rest by that level, anyway.

Zhure

First Post
For the avid Rope Trick user, I recommend carrying lots of spare rope and cutting it into five-foot strips before using it to encamp for the evening. Makes climbing out faster and in the short run it's cheaper than tents.

Greg

Ferox4

First Post
Re: Limit is easy

Darklone said:
Let some gnolls with scent walk below. They'll find it and toast the PCs. It's easy to find and easy to attack. Some monsters could even build an ambush around it, climb PCs are soooo easy targets.

How can Gnolls smell PCs that are in extradimensional space? Perhaps you are merely implying that the Gnolls would smell the PCs passage and when it abruptly stopped they began to look around for them? How is a Rope Trick's extradimensional space easy to find and attack? I'm not being critical, I just don't see it as being that easy.

edited for splling ;)

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We just found out the hard way that climbing that damn rope is a full round action for everyone! That means that if you've got six PCs, it takes six rounds to flee up into it. Ouch; so much for using it for a split-second refuge!

Darklone

Re: Re: Limit is easy

Ferox4 said:

How can Gnolls smell PCs that are in extradimensional space? Perhaps you are merely implying that the Gnolls would smell the PCs passage and when it abruptly stopped they began to look around for them? How is a Rope Trick's extradimensional space easy to find and attack? I'm not being critical, I just don't see it as being that easy.

edited for splling ;)

Sorry to disagree Ferox, you can shoot and cast into our out from that rope trick space, spells like stinking cloud or spreads (fireball) reach into it... So why shouldn't gnolls not smell the PCs ? they are after all only 30 ft away and the hole is NOT closed after everyone enters. Else your players would suffocate after 8hours.

Darklone

Piratecat said:
We just found out the hard way that climbing that damn rope is a full round action for everyone! That means that if you've got six PCs, it takes six rounds to flee up into it. Ouch; so much for using it for a split-second refuge!

Only one full round action PC? You need several rounds... You can climb half your speed as full round action .... means your average PC needs 2 rounds to climb up. Traffic jam on the rope :)

Remove ads