D&D 4E 5E Through a 4E Lens

A few years back, Rob Schwalb did an experiment on his blog: he took bits of the 4e cleric and reformatted them to match the visual look of previous editions of D&D. Since a couple of my players were coming from long-running 4e games (even though they played 3e before that), I decided to do the opposite: take bits of a 5e class, and reformat it to match the visual cues of 5e. I did this mainly to explain the current spellcasting system, where you prepare (or simply know) spells, and power them through spell slots (without losing the prepared spell).

A few years back, Rob Schwalb did an experiment on his blog: he took bits of the 4e cleric and reformatted them to match the visual look of previous editions of D&D. Since a couple of my players were coming from long-running 4e games (even though they played 3e before that), I decided to do the opposite: take bits of a 5e class, and reformat it to match the visual cues of 5e. I did this mainly to explain the current spellcasting system, where you prepare (or simply know) spells, and power them through spell slots (without losing the prepared spell).

The major breakthrough was turning the actual Spell Slot into the "daily power" (or "encounter", in the case of a warlock), with the effect being left to the spell the caster chooses to invest the slot into. Cantrips, on the other hand, match the 4e at-will structure as-is (with the actual cantrip being the "at-will power").

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Every time I heard people complain about the way 4E handled powers and how it was this huge break from previous editions, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about and why 4E to me never seemed really all that different as people made it out to be. Yeah, a whole crapload of fluff and handwritten description was left out of the power blocks themselves compared to other editions (especially in the case of spells)... but the actual effects when statted out in 4E style were all very similar. And you're proving that even 5E stuff can stat out formattically like 4E too.

I can honestly say that how the game handles cantrips seems to be the middle ground between Pathfinder and 4E, and I honestly think 5E benefits from it. If anything, in my honest opinion it is superior to both in that area.

Otherwise, I'll agree a lot of the differences seem to be stylistic. However, as I saw with my own group, stylistic differences can have major impacts in how people approach a game, despite the fact the individual mechanics may actually be identical. That's part of why my group hated 4E cantrips, yet loved Pathfinder's.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
I may borrow these examples to help transition a player or two of mine who started in 4E and for who the variety of spell casting methods in 5e have been difficult to fully understand. Heck, thinking about it this way is helping me as well.

Trit

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To continue the 4e metaphor, compare low level spellcasting to Channel Divinity, where you had multiple powers but limited usage spread amongst them.

You start to strain it more when you get to casting with different level slots though. There's no direct comparison.

Also, treat encounter powers carefully. 4e has an expectation of a short rest after every encounter unless there are extraordinary circumstances. If you are going with the 5e averages where there's only a few short rests per day you need to clear that up so they don't go in with one calibration on how often they can use those powers and then feel denied.

I would love to see the whole basic character's at least done up this way... or better yet the whole PHB... that would make brining 4 e style fightes over a little easier... and warlord

Joe Liker

First Post
You start to strain it more when you get to casting with different level slots though. There's no direct comparison.
This.

It's easy to pick and choose the bits of 5e that are easily reformatted, but there are plenty of things that simply won't translate. The basic structure of the game really is different, and I'm not sure you'd be doing a diehard 4e fan any favors by leading him to believe it's the same.

RCanine

First Post
I've been doing things like this in my head for a while too.

4E was masterful in its use of standardized language. Conceptually, move, minor standard, opportunity, interrupt and reaction are self-describing in a way that action, bonus and reaction don't.

Simple conceits like "bloodied" and "save ends" are great, and I'm sad 5E abandoned them.

Klaus

First Post
To be clear, I'm not retrocloning 4e or anything. It's just a thought experiment and visual aid to help 4e players better understand some 5e concepts.

GMforPowergamers: I'm actually thinking of doing this for the Basic Wizard.

Remove ads

Remove ads