D&D 5E Thank you WoTc: I feel like 5th edition has brought the spirit back into D&D.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I've been a gamer now for many many years and I've played every edition to date.

For me, 5th edition has brought something back to D&D that I felt has been missing for years. While posting and reading in various forums, a few things have popped up around magic items, (which I did a thread on), and another one concerning gold. A few posters made some brilliant comments and it really made me sit back and look at 5th edition carefully and realize that it has returned a spirit to D&D that I sorely missed.

A few posters were giving their ideas on how to spend gold, in other ways besides magic items, and a few really brought me back to the way I used to do things. While I did run a few modules, I was more of a homebrew kind of DM and any modules I did run, I removed the items in them and added the ones I wanted. I used to run my games where you could buy land, build castles, pay to stay in and inn, pay taxes, hire underlings, pay for transport, find ways to actually get hoards of gold from one end of a continent to the other, pay guild fees, etc...

In my opinion, 5th edition really brings back the things that I noticed used to get skipped in previous editions. Gold was all about buying magic items and any time most other things that became "mundane" were basically just hand waved. Now that magic items are not freely available like they used to, when playing the default of course, you now have to open that imagination and bring back all those old ways of spending your gold. Now such things as securing transport on a ship, or bribing officials etc are back to being a part of adventures.

I know these things have always been possible, but I'm glad this edition has managed to put a bit more emphasis back into all those little things that I used to find important. I just feel like the game now has more depth and creativity.

Thank you Wizards of the Coast!

Shiroiken

Legend
I agree. When I started play back in 1E, people talked about what their character had done, not what they can do (i.e. build). What you do is once again more important than how you build your character, and I highly approve.

fjw70

Adventurer
Glad to have you back. The spirit never left for me since for me the spirit is more about how you play the game than what the rules say.

Hear, hear! I pretty much feel the same way. After playing Pathfinder for a bit, returning to B/X via Labyrinth Lord was my way of escaping the madness. 5e has brought me back into the D&D fold, something I honestly thought would NEVER happen again!

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
I'm with you friends, 5e has brought me back after a long absence, thank you Mearls, Wizards and the whole D&D team. I will support 5e in every way I can.

I think that 5th edition is what 4th should have been. Though it'll always have a warm place in my heart, I'm personally very happy to be moving on from pathfinder.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think that 5th edition is what 4th should have been. Though it'll always have a warm place in my heart, I'm personally very happy to be moving on from pathfinder.

Although I don't think we necessarily would have gotten the 5E we did without first going through the iteration of 4E. We needed that edition's emphasis on balance (for both characters and encounter design) to truly learn what would be necessary to successfully amend the structure of 3E. Otherwise... 4E might very well have been closer to what evolved into PF (with all the positives and negatives), rather than get what we got in our 5E as currently designed.

Remove ads