GF9 is updating the D&D 5E SPELL CARDS

The spellbook cards from Gale Force 9 were generally positively received, but they did have their fair share of criticism. Gale Force 9 has heard that criticism, and is updating the cards. The new ones have rounded corners, and a concentration notation, which were the two main complaints about the cards. These new cards should be headed to stores right about now. Finally, tow missing spells have been added, and small add-on packs will contain archetype cards. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop).

Here's GF9 on the new cards:

Hey everyone,

The new versions of the cards should be making their way to stores now.

To answer some of your questions, These cards will have a large C (in a coloured diamond) in the duration field to denote spells that require concentration.

The easiest way to identify the new cards also relates to one of the issues people had, the sharp corners. The updated cards will have lovely rounded corners on them.

In regards to ritual tags, you'll find that ritual spells have always been labelled as such. On each card, directly underneath the spell's name, is a line that reads, "1st-level divination (ritual)" to use Detect Magic as an example.

Finally, the two spells that were missing (Destructive wave for Paladins, and Mislead for Arcane casters) have been put back in their rightful place.

And in some exciting news. We've heard the complaints from people who are disappointed that archetype cards are missing from the decks (Light Cleric's Fireball etc.) so we are currently looking at ways that we can produce small, add-on packs that will contain these cards.

Spellbook-cleric-Cover.jpg

What I did with mine was put the ones in my PC's spellbook in protector sheets. You know, like what we used to do with baseball cards; 9 card slots to a sheet, and they fit in any binder. Thus is my PC's "spellbook" ;)

I'm playing a Wizard in a 3.5E campaign at the moment and that's exactly what I do with my character. The only difference is that I use The Other Game Company's Spell Cards PDF, that I bought from DriveThruRPG, printing out the spell cards I want as is needed.

I have them sorted by level and then alphabetically. It makes picking spells each day really easy. I just write down the spell names as I flip through. When I need to refer to the spell wording I can find the spell in a matter of seconds. Really happy with the set up.

S

Sunseeker

As DM, I need a fast way to know all my player's spells, as some of my players don't always interpret them correctly (Moonbeam spell, looking at you). I much prefer flipping through an alphabetized deck of all spells than flip through the PHB, risking the binding. I need to see the exact text to grok how my players misunderstand the text and point out how it really works.

I do that just fine without the complete text.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm playing a Wizard in a 3.5E campaign at the moment and that's exactly what I do with my character. The only difference is that I use The Other Game Company's Spell Cards PDF, that I bought from DriveThruRPG, printing out the spell cards I want as is needed.

I have them sorted by level and then alphabetically. It makes picking spells each day really easy. I just write down the spell names as I flip through. When I need to refer to the spell wording I can find the spell in a matter of seconds. Really happy with the set up.

I don't include any of the spells not in my spellbook. It keeps it fairly small and very easy to flip though and see what I want. I didn't like having the cards in a pile, or spread out on the table., but having them organized in 3x3 sheets was perfect.

I don't include any of the spells not in my spellbook. It keeps it fairly small and very easy to flip though and see what I want. I didn't like having the cards in a pile, or spread out on the table., but having them organized in 3x3 sheets was perfect.

Same here. I only include the spells in my spellbook, not all the spells in the PHB.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Not so great for those of us who bought all of the earlier cards (since we have a PC wizard, bard, paladin, cleric, and NPC druid in the party). :lol:

And I wouldn't be interested in buying from a company that did not listen to the valid complaints of its customer base and did not fix issues in newer print runs. I don't consider this special service, I consider this business as usual service (not that everyone does it).

Caveat Emptor. I read the day one reviews, and held off buying. If more people did that, maybe they'd get it right on the first print run. Not apologizing for them though or praising them, but I put in my 2 coppers because I guess my feeling was that the thread was slamming them for good behavior. Such is the Internet though.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Caveat Emptor. I read the day one reviews, and held off buying. If more people did that, maybe they'd get it right on the first print run. Not apologizing for them though or praising them, but I put in my 2 coppers because I guess my feeling was that the thread was slamming them for good behavior. Such is the Internet though.

Although this is a good idea, it never seems to work in our instant gratification society. :lol:

AncientManBeast

First Post
Although this is a good idea, it never seems to work in our instant gratification society. :lol:

If it wasn't for the 'instant gratification society' there would be no day one reviews for people to make informed decisions. I am new to pnps and bought the arcane and the druid decks and was greatly disappointed about the lack of a concentration denotation and not having all warlock spells [as they put it]. Its good that they listened to feedback but leaving out an essential mechanic like concentration and advertising that every spell for a class is included I feel is a faulty product and they should at least offer some sort of discount for the poor shlubs [like me] who paid for an incomplete product.

Zander

Explorer
What I did with mine was put the ones in my PC's spellbook in protector sheets. You know, like what we used to do with baseball cards; 9 card slots to a sheet, and they fit in any binder. Thus is my PC's "spellbook" ;)

I did the same thing. I'm playing a wizard, so have categorised my spells as "Prepared" and "Unprepared". I printed two baseball card sized sheets with those words on them to put in my folder to indicate whether I had remembered those spells or not. If I change my prepared spells after a long rest, I simply swap the cards between one section and the other.

To keep track of slots, I use colour-coded row counters. They're labelled so my DM and I know exactly what each counter shows. My protector sheets are hole punched; I've attached the counters to them with string.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenix8008

First Post
I think it would be a great PR move if GF9 would post a pdf of the two missing cards. Anyone who bought the first printing could print them out and at least be playing with a full deck (sorry). It would cost GF9 very little, and would also show potential new customers what the cards in general are like.

Too bad there is no mention of the other missing spell card, Dissonant Whispers. It's a warlock Great Old One expanded spell for 1st level that doesn't show up in any other class spell list. I'm pretty sure they built their list of spells for the cards from the Class Spell Lists instead of from the alphabetical list of all the spells in the PHB to make sure they got them all.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases