D&D 5E How I'm Managing Inspiration

I ordered a handful of giant d20s. They're 3.5cm wide (couple inches).
When someone gains inspiration, I'll hand them a die. So when they decide to spend their inspiration for advantage, they can just roll the die.

image.jpg

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Good idea. I just hand out these green tokens that we've had for a while. They are about twice the diameter of a normal D20, so they are easy to spot.

So, you don't suffer from the problem of forgetting to award inspiration? That's the biggie, to me.
I'm hoping the dice sitting in front of me and behind the screen wil also remind me.
Plus, I like to "compel" personality traits, bribing people with inspiration.

Nemio

First Post
I've DM'd 2 session and always forgot to award Inspiration.

At first thought I only wanted to award it when they played out a negative part of their character which gave them a disadvantage in the game.
My players aren't big roleplayers so I was wondering if I should award it in even more cases to encourage them.

For example my sister's character has a trait that she is often fiddling with things and dropping them by accident.
She picked up an axe that was on display in a weapons shop and dropped it.

Is this something that deserves Inspiration or not?
I want to be careful so that it's not easily exploited afterwards.

Paraxis

Explorer
I was thinking about how want to incorporate the characters ideals, flaws, and bonds into the sessions more and therefore give more opportunities to hand out inspiration. The idea I have decided to try out is a traits deck. I will make a trading card for each of the characters ideals, flaws, or bonds, so three per player thats 15-18 cards each for my two current games. Then before each scene or encounter I will draw a card (maybe two once I get the hang of it) and do my best to incorporate that trait into the scene.

You could use any number of card generators online for M:TG or similar games but I like this one a savage world fan made for use with that game. http://www.geeksville.us/swcard.php

Here is an example card of what I am talking about.
greatergood.jpg

The players won't ever need to see or interact with them, it is just a way for me to remember to play to those things in the game and cards randomizes it up. I guess you could do the same thing with just making a list of them and rolling a d20, but with the cards you could keep a used pile and only add them back in when the session is done.

Not to suggest that other traits couldn't come up in the scene just a way to try and remember hey this scene let's give Redgar a chance to do something for the greater good if possible.

Last edited:

Bupp

Adventurer
I also got dice to represent Inspiration.

So far for handing it out, my players aren't strong role players, so I've been giving it out at the beginning of each session. They are starting to pick up role playing a bit better, since I keep threatening to withhold the inspiration unless they played their bonds, flaws and traits. I got them hooked on having it, now they want to keep getting it.

First taste is free.

Remove ads