D&D 5E XP per Session !!???

maritimo80

First Post
In our group we have now played each full session, the character gains a level, more to test the system at all levels. Now coming close to the level we reset everything and play with XP. I wonder how much XP you give more or less to a character at level 1 and 4 hours of play (session), WITHOUT TELLING THE GIVING IN FIGHTING?

The Xp increases per session according to the character's level? How do you calculate that?

neobolts

Explorer
If your DM gives a level per session, and is now switching to XP mid session, that would negate the efforts of part of a session. IF you all are having fun, this seems pretty trivial and you could just let it go. Your punctionation and all caps suggests you maybe are pretty upset by this, so maybe ask your DM to allow the current session to grant a level and then switch to XP at the start of the next session.

If "TELLING THE GIVING IN FIGHTING" means the number of encounters until you level, I feel 10 encounters seems about right if combat is the only means of XP. 1st and 2nd level are what I call "learning levels" in 5e, so they are the exception to this and go by faster.

Caveat: I could be talking about something unrelated to your question. To be honest, I'm struggling a little with the language barrier in your post. Hopes this helps! :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If I understand you right, you've been levelling once per session, and now you're looking to start over again, and are asking how much XP to give out per session without levelling every time?

DMG, page 261: one session to reach level 2, one session to reach level 3, two sessions to reach level 4, and then 2-3 sessions for each level thereafter.

Hope that helps!

Coredump

Explorer
If I understand you right, you've been levelling once per session, and now you're looking to start over again, and are asking how much XP to give out per session without levelling every time?

DMG, page 261: one session to reach level 2, one session to reach level 3, two sessions to reach level 4, and then 2-3 sessions for each level thereafter.

Hope that helps!

wow, thats much faster than I would want it to advance.

Gecko85

Explorer

I suppose it depends on what the DMG is considering a session. (My DMG is at home...so can't look it up.) If a session is 4 hours, then this doesn't seem so bad. 8 hours to go from level 3 to level 4 doesn't seem too fast to me. We tend to play 3-hour sessions, so that means 2.5 sessions to go from 3 to 4.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

I mean, no one's holding your feet to the fire. ;)

I think it's a good baseline, though. A month to hit level 4, and then 1-2 times/month thereafter means that most players who play for 9-18 months will get exposed to much of the game.

And when that's over you start over again from level 1 with a new DM and run from there! :)

Gecko85 said:
If a session is 4 hours, then this doesn't seem so bad.

'tis. Roughly, of course, but that's what the DMG aims for.

jrowland

First Post
I think it's a good baseline, though. A month to hit level 4, and then 1-2 times/month thereafter means that most players who play for 9-18 months will get exposed to much of the game.

And that essentially what was addressed in the play test. When asked how long should it take in real time to go from level 1 to level 20? 9-18 months was the sweet spot in the results when you account for session length (typically 4 hours) and frequency (typically weekly).

We (the play testers) pretty much told WotC how fast we want to level, so they made it so.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

I suppose it depends on what the DMG is considering a session. (My DMG is at home...so can't look it up.) If a session is 4 hours, then this doesn't seem so bad. 8 hours to go from level 3 to level 4 doesn't seem too fast to me. We tend to play 3-hour sessions, so that means 2.5 sessions to go from 3 to 4.

I think this is important. A level after a 2-3 hour session is pretty quick! A level after an 81-10 hour session is not. I think the DMG considers a session to be about 4 hours.

Not all sessions are created equal though. I think really productive sessions should count more towards leveling than less productive sessions where people are coming-and-going from the table often, or being obstructionist in some way.

Uller

Adventurer
It is obviously going to vary by group based on a number of factors. To me, a good time toblevel up is when my players have gotten good at using their PCs most interesting abilities but before they get bored with them. Too fast and they get confused. Too slow and things start to feel like a grind. 2-3 sessions feels about right. Our sessions are usually 4-6 hours. We just hit level 5. It took about 10 hours of table time to get there from level 4.

Remove ads