7 Years of D&D Stories? And a "Big Reveal" Coming?

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

Last edited by a moderator:

HobbitFan

Explorer
Somthing funny....Chris answer about a big revel coming up from marketing was in response to my tweet. And I didn't realize he responded until I read about it here!

That's funny...I hadn't even checked twitter when I got home or anything.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
blahblah.gif
tl;dr Mistwell is giving out $500 to everyone on EN World.
w00t.gif

Staffan

Legend
Were we discussing what was good for WotC, or what was good for gamers?

Good for Wizards. If they had said from day one that 4e would continue the success of 3e in being released under the OGL, Paizo might never have decided to create the Pathfinder game, or at least they might have provided parallel support for 4e. Certainly, other publishers would have chosen to stick with the thing being published as "D&D" rather than an untried brand.

JeffB

Legend
I stopped being excited about anything 5e months ago.

7 years of stories worked up, but they cannot produce a decent standalone adventure module for sale this year.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Good for Wizards. If they had said from day one that 4e would continue the success of 3e in being released under the OGL, Paizo might never have decided to create the Pathfinder game, or at least they might have provided parallel support for 4e. Certainly, other publishers would have chosen to stick with the thing being published as "D&D" rather than an untried brand.

Your argument is that switching from OGL to SGL is the reason that the Paizo took over as the leading D&D system under a new name. My argument is that nobody could have done that had WotC not put D&D under something as open as the OGL.

OGL was definitely good for gamers who didn't want move on to buying 4e products and wanted to stay with 3e products instead, but at the same time, it made WotC wonder where the hell all of their customers went.

I think that neither Hasbro nor WotC would allow that sort of license to happen again.

I don't think they want to be competing with ShmathFinder in 20 years if they decide to dispense with 5e at some point.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases