D&D 5E D&D 5th Edition Will Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ren1999

First Post
I posted this same thing after the core books were released for 4th Edition.

But the reason 5th Edition will fail, is different.

Here are the reasons, just read to the end before you dismiss me, remove my post, and warn and ban me.

The 5th Edition game system is a step in the right direction in many ways except..

Skills still suck. Proficiency and Expertise in actual game play isn't functioning well.

The spell system still contains a bloated unorganized list of spells, many which do the same things. The spell slots are dumb, spell points are better.

Actual game play is smooth, quick, but boring.
One way to fix this is to have a called shot system and detailed feats ala "Savage Worlds".

Automatic hits and damage sucks. It kills the game.

No rolls, such as in some spells, suck.

Now these are all minor reasons why the game will fail.

But the main reason is the company that produces the game.

1.) The attitude that the writers of the adventures don't playtest the adventures. That will kill the game.

2.) No digital tools. And the attitude that nobody needs digital tools, just use pen and paper. ..wrong.

3.) Dependance on Third Parties to provide all the adventure modules. We just finished playing the 2 official modules and -- agreed, they aren't well written. Many contrivances, plot holes, NPCs we don't have any reason to care about.

4.) The disorganized and ugly formating of the books. The poor quality of the material and construction of the books. Shameful and a critical reason why the game will fail.

5.) Silence from the company that makes 5th edition. Cancelling books and giving them out free. A sure sign of failure. Just look at all the 4th edition adventures and material that was given out free on game day.

I could go on and on. Obviously I have given up on the game.

I threatened that I would go over and support Pathfinder, but if you go to the Paizo forum, you will see that I posted one thread, something like, "I will Fix Your Game", which was intended to bring out the worst in people. And you can see the general unfriendliness of their responses. You can't work with an angry mob like that to improve their game. He, he.

I also said I would think about supporting 13th Age. Come on. This game is a mathmatical nightmare. It violates the basic idea of working with modifiers under 10 for fast game play.

So I played around a bit and came up with a Savage Worlds / D&D hybrid. But I'm bored with the whole project.

I really wanted 5th Edition to work.
It can still work if Wizards changes their poor attitude and stops firing people and issuing Cease and Desist orders to fans who provide digital tools Wizards does not currently have, and starts paying for good formating, good book materials, good writers, and lots of fun accessories and adventures. But I am not holding my breath for Wizards.

Wise man once say it is foolish to expect different results from the same people.

I was foolish.

Sage Genesis

First Post
I say the following as somebody who has no love for 5e whatsoever:

What?

No really, your post lists a lot of non-universal personal preferences, some unsubstantiated claims, and fails to mention any real positive aspects of the game. I don't even know what "fails" means in this context. Does it mean that there will eventually be a 6e? Because, yeah, obviously. That's how these things go. But that would be a silly metric so what do you mean?

I also don't understand your comment re: 13th Age. You say it "violates the basic idea of working with modifiers under 10"? I don't even know how to parse this sentence. What basic idea is this and how does 13th Age violate it?

ren1999

First Post
13th Age
d20 + an ability bonus + your level + magic item attack bonus, if any

So your level is a modifier to the roll and above 10th level is obviously a modifier above 10.

People who have been playing RPGs for over 4 decades, know that when you start working with modifiers above 10, it slows down game play significantly.

That is why 5E bounded accuracy is good.

5E is boring but it can be fixed by developing a more cinematic action reaction economy and giving a twist to spells and feats.

Sage Genesis

First Post
Ok, I'm really trying to see your point of view, but I have no clue what you're trying to say. Is English your primary language?

Edit:
Specifically, regarding the 13th Age thing...

So you say that modifiers above 10 are bad because they're slow, I think? And 13th Age violates this rule because level is a modifier and so it can go above 10.

First of all... levels in 13th Age only go up to 10. So they won't really go above 10 by default in the first place.

Second... no I disagree with the idea that modifiers above 10 are inherently slower. For some, maybe, but this is not a universally agreed upon truth.

Third... even if it did somehow have modifiers above 10, so what? One single flaw is enough to condemn an entire game? Just what level of perfection are we talking here?

Last edited:

Miss Misty

First Post
I can only agree with #2. The rest is so outdated.

Ben_Kinsley_The_End_is_Nigh.jpg

KingsRule77

First Post
Your indifference is another reason why 5E will fail.

I'm not indifferent to 5e or it's 'problems'. Im indifferent to another 'I know better than the game designers' post, which I find facile and filled with personal preferences.

Bottom line is you don't like 5e. That isn't a reason it will fail. If you find it boring I suggest you find another DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases