FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

smiteworks

Explorer
So no character builder? If I buy the Druid pack, what will it do exactly?

The Druid Pack has the content from the book and abilities that are accessed at various levels. You drag the druid class link to your character sheet from your library and it will add a level of the class and all abilities that unlock at that level, plus add the new hit die. You can then drag over new spells that you learn at each level to your character sheet and these will be automatically keyed in with the various attacks or effects, so that if you cast a spell at a group of NPCs that causes a DC 16 reflex save for half, it will automatically roll their saves and then when you apply damage it will apply half or full damage.

Here is an image with the spell portion of the character sheet shown.
View attachment 67786

Product details:
This Module Includes
  • 18 additional fantasy character portraits taken from various official D&D sources
  • The class description from the Player's Handbook for the druid class
  • Details and features from levels 1-20 for a druid character
  • Automatic addition of new class features when you drag the druid class link to your character's level summary
  • Drag and drop features that can be referenced during play
  • Access the entire druid spell list and drag them to your character sheet for access during play

It also includes D&D portraits that are appropriate for Druid characters.

You will most likely want the PC Customization Pack + the Druid Pack to get started, or the DD Basic Rules + The Druid Pack. Those other items include lists of equipment that can be dragged and dropped, races, etc.

smiteworks

Explorer
Once we catch up with the backlog of items that we still need to finish (Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat, The DMG, Princes of the Apocalypse), then we should start releasing them at the same time that the books hit the public.

T

TDarien

Once FG implments a paypal "TIP" button, Ill bite and be a professional DM. Until then this seems way off the pricepoint... I mean a sub for FG 5E is now more expensive than buying both yearly adventures AND all 3 core books... EVERY YEAR.

Fantasy Grounds is not a subscription, it is a one-time purchase.

The Druid Pack has the content from the book and abilities that are accessed at various levels. You drag the druid class link to your character sheet from your library and it will add a level of the class and all abilities that unlock at that level, plus add the new hit die. You can then drag over new spells that you learn at each level to your character sheet and these will be automatically keyed in with the various attacks or effects, so that if you cast a spell at a group of NPCs that causes a DC 16 reflex save for half, it will automatically roll their saves and then when you apply damage it will apply half or full damage.

Here is an image with the spell portion of the character sheet shown.
View attachment 67786

Product details:
This Module Includes
  • 18 additional fantasy character portraits taken from various official D&D sources
  • The class description from the Player's Handbook for the druid class
  • Details and features from levels 1-20 for a druid character
  • Automatic addition of new class features when you drag the druid class link to your character's level summary
  • Drag and drop features that can be referenced during play
  • Access the entire druid spell list and drag them to your character sheet for access during play

It also includes D&D portraits that are appropriate for Druid characters.

You will most likely want the PC Customization Pack + the Druid Pack to get started, or the DD Basic Rules + The Druid Pack. Those other items include lists of equipment that can be dragged and dropped, races, etc.

It's pretty and all but it's still very dear.

Why would I want to pay these prices when I could drop 150 for the three corebooks, which I keep forever, and can play on rolld20 for free?

Gecko85

Explorer
Ok, can someone who uses FG answer this for me?

We currently use Roll20 for our IRL game, to display the maps (with dynamic lighting). One person connects via laptop and moves the tokens to open up new parts of the map. All combat is done on the "real" tabletop.

So, with FG, if you go with the free version, can you load in a module and run it in demo mode to do what we're currently doing with Roll20? I'm looking at the license comparison on this page, but it's not completely clear: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/buyFG/

Astrosicebear

First Post
Fantasy Grounds is not a subscription, it is a one-time purchase.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/

It has both options, as pointed out above.

And dont get me wrong, I love the work and the product... but I am concerned the price is a little high and wont grow the market.

I would love to see Smiteworks' liscence deal and know the innards, but that wont happen. I fear for the OGL at this point. If anything, I would like to see WOTC ditch trying their own stuff and just let Smiteworks run the tools.

Remove ads

Remove ads