D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

smbakeresq

Explorer
Mine won’t open, tells me to check the address again

Edit- must be my phone app, as I can’t open your other docs also even though they are already in my drive.

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
A levelup guide for God Wizards as discussed a couple pages back now completed. HERE

First off this guide is much needed and appreciated for the community. Thanks.

Second, the first level page is great because it lays out clearly 2 great wizard features that are not used nearly enough, rituals and find familiar. Rituals are a Wizard thing, there is simply no reason why they should not be abused. In your wizards downtime they should be researched or searched for or purchased. A complete list of rituals should be posted there.

Find Familiar is just great, like you said in your guide if there was a higher rating it would get it. They are just useful, and if your DM works with you on different ones they can be really useful. I always try to get the DM to allow a common one like a dog, which wouldn't be noticed sitting in a the common adventuring tavern listening to the patrons. Your owl familiar is a very good alarm for party camp as it can just wake you up when it sees something.

Third Druid is an inspired choice. I have used move earth for many mundane things, but it doesn't get you anything a shovel doesn't provide except speed. Mending somehow shows up in published adventures as fix all.

Guidance is also very underrated since he can be used so much for anyone. It works on initiative also, see Chirrut Imwe chanting "I am one with the Force and the Force is with me" in all situations.

BigBadDM

Explorer
A few issues with the guide...
At 9th level you chose Fire Shield, but subsequent levels show Improved Invisibility
Level 12 does not want to open - requires permissions.
Your 20th level capstone should be 3rd level spells. You picked 2nd here. Having Fly or Dispel Magic are good choices if they were on your list. Spell Mastery is nice--two free 3rd level castings plus 2 free prepared slots--nice.
I would also include Guidance and Mending listed in the cantrips (maybe with a *)

Otherwise a good guide. Seems like a good spell selection for smaller parties. Parties of 5 or more I could see some changes in some of the spell selections but that is just nit-picking.

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
For Leomunds Tiny Hut its worth mentioning that objects cant get through the dome so that means you can cover your dome with thing to hide it like leaves, branches, a net with leaves attached, etc to hide it. You can also use the dome inside a cave to seal the mouth of the cave. It works underwater also, although you have to bail it out from the inside.

All the arrows an archer carries will go through the dome, and since you can move freely through it you certainly can stick your head and hands out of it to cast a spell retaining cover all the time.

You are right its completely broken as long as your DM doesn't mean things like have monsters pile rocks up on your dome waiting for it to come down as spell ends.

A few issues with the guide...
At 9th level you chose Fire Shield, but subsequent levels show Improved Invisibility
I guess you know the spell I almost took. It was a close call.
Level 12 does not want to open - requires permissions.
I knew I would miss one. Thanks

Your 20th level capstone should be 3rd level spells. You picked 2nd here. Having Fly or Dispel Magic are good choices if they were on your list. Spell Mastery is nice--two free 3rd level castings plus 2 free prepared slots--nice.
I'm not including any spells not gained by level up. Good chance the Wizard would have those spells, but I'm not assuming anything. I've switched them to 3rd level. I think when I read my own writing "2 third level slots", I saw 2 and 2nd level or something.

I would also include Guidance and Mending listed in the cantrips (maybe with a *)
Good idea, I'll pick at that later today.

Thanks, this is good feedback.

momosh666

First Post
Treantmonk this is an excellent addition to your guide and something I personally wondered about having read your guide and tried to implement some of the guidance when creating a PC.

Something that clearly stands out (also when you shared your illusionist build) is that you pick more spells allowing a save compared to what I would had expected having read only the guide. Perhaps something to elaborate upon in more detail in the save or die section of the guide (clearly dependent on the school chosen - as you did refer to synergies with Enchantment school).

I struggled with the choice Fire Shield but given the lack of front line I do understand it.
Perhaps also swap Grease for Sleep once it becomes obsolete as a prepared spell.

Keep up the good work.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Treantmonk this is an excellent addition to your guide and something I personally wondered about having read your guide and tried to implement some of the guidance when creating a PC.

Something that clearly stands out (also when you shared your illusionist build) is that you pick more spells allowing a save compared to what I would had expected having read only the guide. Perhaps something to elaborate upon in more detail in the save or die section of the guide (clearly dependent on the school chosen - as you did refer to synergies with Enchantment school).

I struggled with the choice Fire Shield but given the lack of front line I do understand it.
Perhaps also swap Grease for Sleep once it becomes obsolete as a prepared spell.

Keep up the good work.

Grease is underrated and most people don't realize you can cast it on walls or ceilings, if knocked prone in these cases the creature would fall, at least that's how I would play it.

I have never really liked fire shield, although if you could cast in on someone else it would be a different spell entirely. The problem is of course you have to get attacked for it to work and/or you cant force creatures to attack into it. It is good though that it does give the wizard the incentive to use his HP pool and make himself a target to divide the damage and attacks up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases