Childhood's End

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Some spoilers, if you haven't read the book:

[sblock]
The main part of the story is a look at the human race transforming from what it is, to a new transcendent state, with the transformation occurring in children, and with adults being left behind, neither taking part nor understanding the transformation.

The story only vaguely hints at the result of the transformation. I think, deliberately. The view is of that of an un-transcended human, who can only see the coarse external results of the transformation, and who could not possibly understand the transformation.

There is sadness: The human race becomes extinct, and the world is consumed in the transformation. There is gladness: A new race born from the children of the human race.

The story has a lot of classic Clarke wonder and limited explanation, and, I think, uses it to good effect.

I rather worry about the Sy-Fy focus, which seems to be on the anguish of folks who see their children changing, and on human fear of the aliens. There is a little of that in the book, but it goes by as a side note. I don't see how it advances the core story: That of parents who must give way to children who go beyond them, and who cannot ultimately follow or even understand.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We'll, if they don't cast SyFy staples like Lorenzo Lamas, Ian Ziering or Debbie Gibson, it should at least be close to watchable.

Remove ads