[OT] "Photo"-Reading Systems

Paul_Klein

Explorer
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these speed-reading programs, especially the new photo-reading system advertised on TV.

I'm a pretty slow reader, and the idea of breezing through a novel in just 1-2 hours (while comprending everything) really, really appeals to me. I just don't know if these speed reading programs are a big joke.

I mean, if they were for real, why wouldn't they be tought in every school?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Painfully

First Post
There's a book called, "Remember Everything You Read," by Stanley D. Frank, Ed.D. That's the one I used anyway. I even have his tape course, though I've never used it.

It's a solid intro to speed-reading, and I've found that it works well. I don't practice it enough, but after you hit a certain speed it's the ideas and images that flash through your head rather than the individual words. It's really neat.

I cannot fathom using it for technical subject matter like math or upper sciences unless you have a firm grasp of the vocabulary. Forget trying to use it in school for math subjects.

Newspapers and novels are ideal subject matter for speed reading though.

Sixchan

First Post
There's this guy on TV called Derren Brown, who knows so much about the human mind, he can control and predict human actions before people do them.

He managed to photo memorise the entire Oxford English Dictionary, and could name any entry on any page of any volume. It was Amazing!

I have to learn how to do that.:D

Remove ads