D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It's one of those cases where the title doesn't quite match the first post. "What don't you like about 5e" will always be a topic worthy of discussion.

cmad1977

Hero
I think this thread is one of life's greatest mysteries. First, how it was even allowed to go without being blocked because it's one huge blatant edition warring thread (imagine if I created a thread about how 4e sucks). But how it's been allowed to continue is really baffling, as it's been full of said edition warring, and on top of it, keeps getting necro'd.

I mean... to be fair... I’m not sure there’s enough server space to handle a list of reasons 4e sucked.
Edit: of course I mean ‘reasons why a person wouldn’t like 4e’.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I mean... to be fair... I’m not sure there’s enough server space to handle a list of reasons 4e sucked.

I mean, funny jokes about how wrong you are aside...I'm pretty sure my wife's new iphone can hold all the text ever posted online arguing about 4e. Technology has come a long way.

Erechel

Explorer
Curiously, I've criticized 4e (even with good arguments) a lot. But the 4e legacy on 5e made me appreciate that game. The short-long rest and hit dice were brilliant. 5e take the best part of 4e, delivers it in a OSR envelope.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Curiously, I've criticized 4e (even with good arguments) a lot. But the 4e legacy on 5e made me appreciate that game. The short-long rest and hit dice were brilliant. 5e take the best part of 4e, delivers it in a OSR envelope.
I keep trying, and I just don’t see the OSR in 5e. What about it takes folks back to their old school gaming days?

Tallifer

Hero
I keep trying, and I just don’t see the OSR in 5e. What about it takes folks back to their old school gaming days?

Having played AD&D in the 1980s and having recently played lots of Labyrinth Lord etc with OSR groups (and at the same being someone who prefers 4E), 5E has many similarities: Vancian spells and spell lists; descriptive spell descriptions rather than the Magic Card format of 4E powers; no magic item creation/treasure parcels; no paragon paths or epic destinies; no Powers for martial characters; a reversion to old school rôles (fighting, exploration, magic) versus the 4E rôles of defender, control, striker and support.

I've described 5e as the "Rorschach Edition" a few times.
If you hate 5e and hated 4e, you'll look at 5e and see all the stuff you hated in 4e. If you love 5e and loved 3e, you'll see all the stuff you loved from 3e. And vice versa. It's very much an edition that is influenced by your perceptions more than its contents.

cmad1977

Hero

Yeah. 5e took the best parts of earlier editions, threw out the garbage and added ‘story-game’ elements that work great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases