Pathfinder 1E Mynhear's Bane

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"It will be two days for us to reach the high passes where Varithian and his men have secreted themselves. We believe it will be OK for you to rest here for a day. But there is naught we can do to protect you from the thin air of the heights... you will be weakened by the time you arrive for the fight."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=Mowgli]I was planning on teleporting back to venza to get some food for the people and teleport back. He will be affected by the high altitude weather or not he does this. I do understand the high altitude effects[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Melisande%20Avatar_zpslnotfw6i.jpg

Melisande nodded as the sword mentioned a two day journey and staying a day would be okay. Upon hearing about the thinner air at the giant’s lair, she looked to the wizard.

“What can be done about the thinner air? Would there be a spell or something we can use to aid us when we arrive?”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Melisande
Initiative: +1 Perception: +15 (Darkvision)
AC: 28 (27 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 158 (DR3/-) Current: 158
CMB: +20 CMD: 33(32ff) (+2 vs Sunder/Disarm) Fort: +18 Reflex: +11 Will: +14
Special: Immune to Fear, Disease, Charm
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack (-4Att/+8(12)dmg), Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Aura of Good/Courage/Resolve, Greater Magic Weapon on +1 Falchion
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Lay on Hands (6d6): 12/12 Remaining
Smite Evil (5x/day, +4 Att, +17 dmg, +4 Deflect AC): 5/5 Remaining
Alter Self: 1/1 Remaining
Divine Bond (+3): 3/3 Remaining
Spells Remaining:
1st Level 4/4+2 Pearls (Protection from Evil, Hero's Defiance, Bless, Divine Favor)
2nd Level 3/3+1 Pearl (Effortless Armor, Blade Tutor's Spirit, Righteous Vigor)
3rd Level 2/2 (Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon)
4th Level 1/1 (Resounding Blows)

Combat Trained Heavy Horse
Initiative: +4 Senses: low-light vision, Scent; Perception: +8
AC: 19 (Touch 11, flat-footed 17)
HP: 19 Current: 19
Fort: +8, Ref: +7, Will: +3
Conditions in effect: War-trained, 50ft movement
Weapon in Hand: Bite [Att: +6, dmg 1d4+5], 2 Hooves [Att: +6, dmg: 1d6+5][/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=Effects of Altitude]
Low Peak or High Pass (5,000 to 15,000 feet): Ascending to the highest slopes of low mountains, or most normal travel through high mountains, falls into this category. All non-acclimated creatures labor to breathe in the thin air at this altitude. Characters must succeed on a Fortitude save each hour (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or be fatigued. The fatigue ends when the character descends to an altitude with more air. Acclimated characters do not have to attempt the Fortitude save.

High Peak (more than 15,000 feet): The highest mountains exceed 15,000 feet in height. At these elevations, creatures are subject to both high altitude fatigue (as described above) and altitude sickness, whether or not they're acclimated to high altitudes. Altitude sickness represents long-term oxygen deprivation, and affects mental and physical ability scores. After each 6-hour period a character spends at an altitude of over 15,000 feet, he must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1 point of damage to all ability scores. Creatures acclimated to high altitude receive a +4 competence bonus on their saving throws to resist high altitude effects and altitude sickness, but eventually even seasoned mountaineers must abandon these dangerous elevations.

As far as I have been able to find there's not a specifically detailed way to get around altitude effects - it's one of the few environmental challenges that are effective (seemingly) against high level groups. I guess some combination of endure elements type effects and removing the need to breath would do it.

You are currently near the top of the Low Peak/High Pass range (current altitude is about 13000 ft). We'll metagame for a moment and give you the info for the remainder of your trip: you'll cross into High Peak territory after a day of travel, and will remain above 15000 ft for the last day of travel to Varithian's Pass, the fight, and the first day of the trip back (assuming you make it back :devil:).

(Actually, I figure you'll make handy work of this encounter as well - you're a tough group to challenge at these lofty levels and with my lack of experience with them).
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[sblock=Effects of Altitude]
As far as I have been able to find there's not a specifically detailed way to get around altitude effects - it's one of the few environmental challenges that are effective (seemingly) against high level groups. I guess some combination of endure elements type effects and removing the need to breath would do it.
This spell should work and that is what I was thinking about OOC:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/air-bubble
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[SBLOCK=OOC]the idea for getting food for the refugees will simply wait. I do not want to hold up this game with a simple little thing.[/SBLOCK]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[SBLOCK=OOC]
the idea for getting food for the refugees will simply wait. I do not want to hold up this game with a simple little thing.
Do you have Air Bubble? If not, then the trip to teleport back serves a purpose related to our mission accomplishment and is not wasted time.[/SBLOCK]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=air bubble]With a duration of 1 minute per level, I am not sure it would be much good. give me a few minutes to get a second cup of coffee in me . . . . . [/sblock]

[sblock=addendum ooc] I looked, and no that is not a spell in his book. It is not a water spell, so not an opposition spell, but still it would only last for 12 minutes per casting. That is 5 castings per person per hour of use.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Eurika! ! ! !

[sblock=I think I got it!]
the spell, Life Bubble says this [emphasis mine]

You surround the touched creatures with a constant and moveable 1-inch shell of tolerable living conditions. This shell enables the subjects to breathe freely, even underwater or in a vacuum, as well as making them immune to harmful gases and vapors, including inhaled diseases and poisons and spells like cloudkill and stinking cloud. In addition, the shell protects subjects from extremes of temperature (per endure elements) as well as extremes of pressure.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/life-bubble

And it only took a total of 3 cups of coffee to find!

the trick is this:

1. it is a 5th level spell which means I can cast it 4 times per day.
2. it lasts 24 hours for each casting
3. there are 3+1 horse in our party
4. I do NOT have it in my book
4a. I would indeed have to return to get this spell
4b. it is also a 5th level divine spell
5. due to cost of the scroll, I would have to sell a pearl of power (second level) to buy it and scribe it

3. targets = 1/caster level!!! so 12 targets

6. note to self: Cost to buy scroll 1125, cost to scribe 250

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads