Pathfinder 1E Mynhear's Bane

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=OOC]
It is a large image, so if you are opening it on a phone it may not load. I would highly recommend loading from a browser.

Just in case, I have transcribed the image below
[/sblock]

[sblock=Letter]
My Old Friend,

My Clan is in dire straits, and I need your help.

Our ancient enemy, the Frost Giant Varithian, has returned from the past to threaten the Ha’Gruut once more. He is so strong! How has he grown so? Mynhear warned in his texts that our enemy was not wholly vanquished, but so many hears have passed that we grew lax in our vigilance.

Please, Friend, gather others. Assemble a group of heroes worth of the name, and come to the aid of Clan Ha’Gruut. Come quickly.

Kalinn Ari, known also as Frost

Heir to the Chieftainship of Clan Ha’Gruut.

[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC] I am using a lap top. There was a window showing an image was supposed to be there, but nothing was there. I was having internet connectivity issues at that time so that might have been the problem. I am at the VA Hosp. now so a really good connection.

btw, it is only a scheduled doc visit, nothing serious.

Addm: Does Heinrich remember Frost?[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Melisande%20Avatar_zpslnotfw6i.jpg

Melisande read the letter. Frost giants would, definitely prove dangerous. Giants by nature were tough opponents and carried large weapons that could split a woman in half or squash them flat. She had not heard of the person signing the letter, nor the clan of Ha'Gruut.

"I would presume frost giants are evil and your friend honorable. Though, I must admin her monicker of Frost is confusing with the Frost Giants that are causing the clan of Ha'Gruut trouble."

"How far is it to the lands of Clan Ha'Gruut?"
She asked.

As a champion of Helerion, she would need to commune with her god to be sure, but evil giants waging war on good people would be enough for her alone to ride at Aradra's side in a quest.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Melisande
Initiative: +1 Perception: +15 (Darkvision)
AC: 28 (27 flat-footed, 13 Touch) - Currently 18 with Chainshirt
HP: 158 (DR3/-) Current: 158
CMB: +20 CMD: 33(32ff) (+2 vs Sunder/Disarm) Fort: +18 Reflex: +11 Will: +14
Special: Immune to Fear, Disease, Charm
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack (-4Att/+8(12)dmg), Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Aura of Good/Courage/Resolve
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Lay on Hands (6d6): 12/12 Remaining
Smite Evil (5x/day, +4 Att, +17 dmg, +4 Deflect AC): 5/5 Remaining
Alter Self: 1/1 Remaining
Divine Bond (+3): 3/3 Remaining
Spells Remaining:
1st Level 4/4+2 Pearls (Protection from Evil, Hero's Defiance, Bless, Divine Favor)
2nd Level 3/3+1 Pearl (Effortless Armor, Blade Tutor's Spirit, Righteous Vigor)
3rd Level 2/2 (Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon)
4th Level 1/1 (Resounding Blows)[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Solomon greeted Melisande with a smile. She had not yet caught the paladin's name but the fact that she had already caught hers meant that she was a sharp customer. Good. She looked around at those gathered there. She liked working with sharp customers.

Her eyes positively glowed with excitement when Aradra read the letter out loud. Giants! She had defeated all sorts of exotic foes on her travels, but never had she had the chance to test her skill against such a fearsome and formidable foe as a frost giant... and by the sounds this frost giant was a giant amongst giants. Perfect. Perhaps her failing fortune was finally changing? A smile began to grow.

"The only question I have, is when do we leave?"

jackslate45

First Post
[section]

Aradra nods at Melisande. "Kalinn was part of the strike team that was at Cutheleon, and her honor is only matched by her skill in battle. I believe she is called 'Frost' due to the calm rage she exhibits in the heat of battle."

"Distance wise, the lands of the clan are extremely far away. Clan Ha'Gruut are a nomadic tribe in the Sethir mountains, northwest of Irthos. By walking, it would at least be a 4 month journey, if not longer. That means this letter, even as the owl flies, is at least 3 months old. As far as information goes, alot can happen in 3 months. To answer Sol's question, the answer is we need to leave as soon as possible. The last remaining question is how we quickly we can get there."

"That is why we need the help of a master wizard."
Aradra looks up to Heinrich, who so far has remained quiet.
"I know 2 wizards who might be able to get us to at least Rorden, or even Irthos, but tracking them down is going to take time I don't think we can afford. Master Heinrich, how close can you get us to Irthos?"

[/section]
[sblock=Aradra Stats]
Aradra Longstrider
AC: 26 (19 flat-footed, 16 touch)
HP: 132/132
CMB: +16 CMD: 32
Fort: +11 Reflex: +16 Will: +9
Perception: +22
Initiative: +8
Current Weapon in Hand: Bow +23/+18/+13 1d8+3 19-20/x3 or +21/+21/+16/+11 1d8+9 19-20/x3 1st hit deals double
Current Conditions in Effect: Rapid Shot/Deadly Aim/Endless Ammo (from Bow); Woodland Stride ; Evasion; Clustered Shots; Falcon's Aim (+3 Perception & 19-20 /x3); No Provoking on Ranged attacks w/ Bow

Used Items:

Adaptation: 140/140 Minutes Remain (Darkvision, Iron Will, Skill Focus Stealth, Climb 15', Swim 15')
Level 1 Spells: Feather Step, Gravity Bow, Longstrider, Feather Step
Level 2 Spells: Barkskin (+4), Eagle Eye, BLANK
Level 3 Spells: Greater Magic Fang
Level 4 Spells: Freedom of Movement
Extend Rod: 3/3 per Day
Pearl of Power lvl 1: AVAILABLE
Negate Crit: 1/1
Haste: 10/10
Fly (CL 5): 1/1
[/sblock]

[sblock=Shadow Stats]
Shadow
AC: 27 (24 flat-footed, 13 touch)
CMB: +19 CMD: 31 (35 vs Trip)
Fort: +13 Reflex: +11 Will: +7 (+4 vs Enchantment Charm/Compulsion)
Initiative: +3
Current Weapon in Hand: Bite (+17/9 1d8 + 21 + Trip) + d6 Shocking Amulet of Mighty Biting (Activated)
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Evasion, Share Spells; Scent;
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

HeinrichAvatar_zps3d3206d8.jpg
Heinrich's eyes light up and he removes his pack to reach in, "I haf what we need memorized right now, but Just so as I am sure . . . .Ach! Here it is." He pulls out a spell book with what appears to be 100 pages thick, mumbling something over and over while turning page after page. "Teleport! Eureka, I haf it right here!" He smiles broadly, "So, fire giants . . . . ." He sits musing for a moment to search his memory of what he may know of them. "I am Fire elementalist, so I can do much against them, but not too good on my own defense, I recently found out. In another battle We fight undead, so I learn to make spell affect incorporeal if das giant ist not dead or alive." [sblock=Knowledge] - Geography +15 [roll0][/sblock]

ooc:Dang, lost my edit !

"Heinrich thinks for a good minute on his teleport spell then says, "I can move 4 people up to 1200 miles per caasting, but there are risks. These risks can be lessened with a focus such as a letter to scry with. Ist goot, ja?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]Heinrich
Initiative: +2 Perception: +12 (Greater Darkvision w/ spell) AC: 15 (13 flat-footed, 12 Touch) (better with spells)
HP: 46 Current: 46
BAB: +5 CMB: +5 CMD: 17 (15 ff)
Fort: +6 Reflex: +8 Will: +11 CONC: +21 Special: FIRE RESIST 10
Current Conditions in Effect:
cat's grace - 11 minutes rounds: [one]
Haste - 1 rnd/lv; multi person effect [party of 4 for 11 rounds]
Current Weapon in Hand: WAND: acid arrow
CHARGED ITEMS AND SKILLS:
WAND ACID ARROW: 38/50
Scroll: Summon Monster IV
WAND CURE LIGHT: 50/50
* DRAW FIRE AROUND HIM FROM SOURCE = TO CAMPFIRE OR LARGER
* FIRE JET 9/9 TIME PER DAY 1D6+5 DAM
* DC: 21 REF FOR HALF OR BURN ANOTHER RND FOR 1D6
* AVOID ADDTL DAM BY DC 16 REF SAVE
* DANCING FLAME 5 PER DAY
OTHER
SPELL SPECIALIZATION: FIRE BALL ; GTR SPELL SPECIAL: FIREBALL ; ECTOPLAS SPELL ; SILENT SPELL ; PIERCING SPELL Spells Memorized
Code:
Save DC:          
General: 15 + SL                
Evocation: 17 + SL          
Elemental (Fire): 16 + SL            
Evoc + (Fire): 18 + SL

0 Level              Level 01               Level 02                
* Prestidig.     * feather fall          * See invisibility
* Disrupt Undead * Burning Hands(ev,E,*) * Scorching ray (ev,E)
* Dancing lights * Feather Fall          * Levitate
* acid splash    * ear pierce scream     * Resist Energy
                 * magic missile         * Warding Weapon
                 * Shield                * cat's grace
                 * Expeditious Retreat   * Scorching ray (ev,E)
                 P magic missile         P scorching ray (ev,E)
                 P magic missile         P cat's grace
                 P Shield                P Scorching ray (ev,E)

LEVEL 3                LEVEL 04                LEVEL 05
* Flame Arrow (E)      * summon monster 4 (E)  * lightning arc
* Haste                * stone skin            * Elemental body [E]
* Dispel Magic         * dimension door        * wall of force
* Dispel Magic         * Detonate              * Teleport
* lightning bolt       * Blk Tentacles                      
* Displacement         P summon monster 4 (E)
P Haste

LEVEL 6
* Tar Pool (E)
* Chains of fire
* form of the dragon 1                

[sblock=Book:]
Level 00  
* Resistance * Acid Splash [c] * Detect Magic * Detect Poison * Read Magic * Daze * Dancing Lights
* Flare * Light * Spark * Disrupt Undead * Touch of Fatigue * Mage Hand * Mending * Message
* Open/Close * Arcane Mark * Prestidigitation
Level 01
* Break * Burning Hands (E,*) * Chill Touch * comp lang * Ear piercing scream * Endure Elements (E)  
* enlarge person * expeditious retreat * Feather Fall * Identify * Jump [c] * Magic Missile
* magic weapon * Shield * Touch of the Sea & * Touch of Gracelessness
Level 02  
* Arcane Lock  * Burning gaze (E) * Cat's grace * darkvision * Elemental Touch * Flaming Sphere (E)
* Fox's cunning * Knock * Levitate * Resist Energy * Scorching Ray (E) * See Invisibility
* Spectral Hand * Warding Weapon * false life
Level 03  
* Dispel magic * Displacement * Draconic Reservoir * Fire ball (**,E,ev) * Flame Arrow (E) * Haste
* Lightning bolt (ev) * Tiny Hut * Ablative Barrier [c] * Fly  
Level 04  
* Black tentacles * darkvision, gtr * Detonate * Dimension door * scrying * stone skin
* summ monst IV [E]
Level 05  
* Elemental body II [e] * Feuer vyrm [fire snake] * lightning arc * Summon monster V * Teleport
* Wall of Force
Level 06
* undeath to death * chains of fire * tar pool * sirocco * forceful hand * Form of the dragon I  
[/sblock]

( - ) denotes a cast spell    
(*) cast at +1 level (trait)  
(**) cast at +2 levels (Feat)
(E) elemental: flame school  
(ev) evocation
(A) denotes changed to acid
(&) takes 2 spell slots to cast
(#) recalled via pearl of power
(E,A) denotes 50% fire/50% acid
[/sblock][][/][/][/][/][/][/]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
"I'm guessing that if the giant is called the Frost Giant Varithian, he is probably a frost giant. Your fire magic should be just fine" quips Sol at Heinrich with a wink. "I have everything I own with me and not a copper to my name. I am ready."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Melisande was not as ready as the others it appeared. She was not carrying her full arsenal and only armored with a chainshirt.

"I do not have all of me gear and equipment, so I will need to gather the rest of my belongings at the Chapter House."

"I also have my war horse too. Is that going to be a problem for the teleportation, Heinrich? In my plate armor, I am not so fast moving and I think I would much prefer fighting giants from horseback... unless we are in difficult, mountain terrain that would make such fighting impractical."

"Are there not portals that can take us there?"

Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack (-4Att/+8(12)dmg), Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Aura of Good/Courage/Resolve

Spells Remaining:
1st Level 4/4+2 Pearls (Protection from Evil, Hero's Defiance, Bless, Divine Favor)

jackslate45

First Post
[section]
Aradra looks concerned at how far Heinrich can teleport people, and how many. "By my count, there are 5 of us in this room, not including Melisande's horse which would be 6. If you can only teleport 4, including yourself, we would not have enough room for Shadow or the horse. Even if you could take one of them, would being larger than the average person be ok?" Shadow looks up, hearing his master say his name, and just glancing at the wolf one can see that he weighs easily 8 times as much as Aradra does.

Aradra continues with "Also, to Rorn alone it is 2000 some miles, and Irthos it is farther still. It seems like we would need to find a good middle ground to teleport to. As for gates, I know of them but have never seen or used any. One would think that there should be one near Venza that allows us to at least get closer to Irthos, but we would have to ask around."

[/section]
[sblock=Aradra Stats]
Aradra Longstrider
AC: 26 (19 flat-footed, 16 touch)
CMB: +16 CMD: 32
Fort: +11 Reflex: +16 Will: +9
Initiative: +8
Current Weapon in Hand: Bow +23/+18/+13 1d8+3 19-20/x3 or +21/+21/+16/+11 1d8+9 19-20/x3 1st hit deals double
Current Conditions in Effect: Rapid Shot/Deadly Aim/Endless Ammo (from Bow); Woodland Stride ; Evasion; Clustered Shots; Falcon's Aim (+3 Perception & 19-20 /x3); No Provoking on Ranged attacks w/ Bow

Used Items:

Adaptation: 140/140 Minutes Remain (Darkvision, Iron Will, Skill Focus Stealth, Climb 15', Swim 15')
Level 1 Spells: Feather Step, Gravity Bow, Longstrider, Feather Step
Level 2 Spells: Barkskin (+4), Eagle Eye, BLANK
Level 3 Spells: Greater Magic Fang
Level 4 Spells: Freedom of Movement
Extend Rod: 3/3 per Day
Pearl of Power lvl 1: AVAILABLE
Negate Crit: 1/1
Haste: 10/10
Fly (CL 5): 1/1
[/sblock]

[sblock=Shadow Stats]
Shadow
AC: 27 (24 flat-footed, 13 touch)
CMB: +19 CMD: 31 (35 vs Trip)
Fort: +13 Reflex: +11 Will: +7 (+4 vs Enchantment Charm/Compulsion)
Initiative: +3
Current Weapon in Hand: Bite (+17/9 1d8 + 21 + Trip) + d6 Shocking Amulet of Mighty Biting (Activated)
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Evasion, Share Spells; Scent;
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

HeinrichAvatar_zps3d3206d8.jpg

"Das ist 4 plus myself." Corrects Heinrich. "Das horse vould take two slots. I can take three teleports to accomplish this. One to get all but Melisande und warhourse, return myself und back vith Knight und Mount. I still need to scry location of Frost. How far ist das village? I quickly guess at over 2100 miles, so it would take 2 days to do this. I cannot memorize Teleport but 5 time maximum."

[sblock=Mini Stats-requires update]Heinrich
Initiative: +2 Perception: +12 (Greater Darkvision w/ spell) AC: 15 (13 flat-footed, 12 Touch) (better with spells)
HP: 46 Current: 46
BAB: +5 CMB: +5 CMD: 17 (15 ff)
Fort: +6 Reflex: +8 Will: +11 CONC: +21 Special: FIRE RESIST 10
Current Conditions in Effect:
cat's grace - 11 minutes rounds: [one]
Haste - 1 rnd/lv; multi person effect [party of 4 for 11 rounds]
Current Weapon in Hand: WAND: acid arrow
CHARGED ITEMS AND SKILLS:
WAND ACID ARROW: 38/50
Scroll: Summon Monster IV
WAND CURE LIGHT: 50/50
* DRAW FIRE AROUND HIM FROM SOURCE = TO CAMPFIRE OR LARGER
* FIRE JET 9/9 TIME PER DAY 1D6+5 DAM
* DC: 21 REF FOR HALF OR BURN ANOTHER RND FOR 1D6
* AVOID ADDTL DAM BY DC 16 REF SAVE
* DANCING FLAME 5 PER DAY
OTHER
SPELL SPECIALIZATION: FIRE BALL ; GTR SPELL SPECIAL: FIREBALL ; ECTOPLAS SPELL ; SILENT SPELL ; PIERCING SPELL Spells Memorized
Code:
Save DC:          
General: 15 + SL                
Evocation: 17 + SL          
Elemental (Fire): 16 + SL            
Evoc + (Fire): 18 + SL

0 Level              Level 01               Level 02                
* Prestidig.     * feather fall          * See invisibility
* Disrupt Undead * Burning Hands(ev,E,*) * Scorching ray (ev,E)
* Dancing lights * Feather Fall          * Levitate
* acid splash    * ear pierce scream     * Resist Energy
                 * magic missile         * Warding Weapon
                 * Shield                * cat's grace
                 * Expeditious Retreat   * Scorching ray (ev,E)
                 P magic missile         P scorching ray (ev,E)
                 P magic missile         P cat's grace
                 P Shield                P Scorching ray (ev,E)

LEVEL 3                LEVEL 04                LEVEL 05
* Flame Arrow (E)      * summon monster 4 (E)  * lightning arc
* Haste                * stone skin            * Elemental body [E]
* Dispel Magic         * dimension door        * wall of force
* Dispel Magic         * Detonate              * Teleport
* lightning bolt       * Blk Tentacles                      
* Displacement         P summon monster 4 (E)
P Haste

LEVEL 6
* Tar Pool (E)
* Chains of fire
* form of the dragon 1                

[sblock=Book:]
Level 00  
* Resistance * Acid Splash [c] * Detect Magic * Detect Poison * Read Magic * Daze * Dancing Lights
* Flare * Light * Spark * Disrupt Undead * Touch of Fatigue * Mage Hand * Mending * Message
* Open/Close * Arcane Mark * Prestidigitation
Level 01
* Break * Burning Hands (E,*) * Chill Touch * comp lang * Ear piercing scream * Endure Elements (E)  
* enlarge person * expeditious retreat * Feather Fall * Identify * Jump [c] * Magic Missile
* magic weapon * Shield * Touch of the Sea & * Touch of Gracelessness
Level 02  
* Arcane Lock  * Burning gaze (E) * Cat's grace * darkvision * Elemental Touch * Flaming Sphere (E)
* Fox's cunning * Knock * Levitate * Resist Energy * Scorching Ray (E) * See Invisibility
* Spectral Hand * Warding Weapon * false life
Level 03  
* Dispel magic * Displacement * Draconic Reservoir * Fire ball (**,E,ev) * Flame Arrow (E) * Haste
* Lightning bolt (ev) * Tiny Hut * Ablative Barrier [c] * Fly  
Level 04  
* Black tentacles * darkvision, gtr * Detonate * Dimension door * scrying * stone skin
* summ monst IV [E]
Level 05  
* Elemental body II [e] * Feuer vyrm [fire snake] * lightning arc * Summon monster V * Teleport
* Wall of Force
Level 06
* undeath to death * chains of fire * tar pool * sirocco * forceful hand * Form of the dragon I  
[/sblock]

( - ) denotes a cast spell    
(*) cast at +1 level (trait)  
(**) cast at +2 levels (Feat)
(E) elemental: flame school  
(ev) evocation
(A) denotes changed to acid
(&) takes 2 spell slots to cast
(#) recalled via pearl of power
(E,A) denotes 50% fire/50% acid
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Melisande thought that was a lot of magic required from the wizard.

"Well, before we go through all that trouble with complicated spells, let us make a quick inquiry about these portals I have heard rumors of. I could ask in the Chapter House's library while I am gathering my gear and horse. Their records are not vast, but probably contain something."

"I am also curious, how is it that you can teleport accurately over such a large distance? Do you not have to know the exact place you wish to go to? Or have you been there already?"
She asked Heinrich.

Spells Remaining:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases