Unearthed Arcana Psionics Hits Unearthed Arcana

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

UPDATE - IMPORTANT NOTE FROM MIKE MEARLS: "For folks looking at the psionics material in today's UA, looks like there was a minor error. Not all the material is there." Keep an eye on it; I expect it'll be fixed soon.

UPDATE 2 - fixed! Updated document includes another three disciplines (Celerity, Iron Durability, and Psionic Weapon) and the basic rules to the class.

Find it here!

bogmad

First Post
I like it!

I am a little confused though: when do you gain access to a discipline? I know there are three available, but it doesn't say if you gain access to one at 1st level, or at 3rd, or if you only ever get access to more than one(which I expect you do).

Also, what's the class name again? Awakened Mystic? Order of the Awakened Mystic? Just mystic? Are there mystics of other orders?
Awakened Mystic is just what Mearls wants to rename the psion?

erf_beto

First Post
I want to say I like it... [WIS save = fail] but I don't know what this is, or what to judge it for.
Is it a whole new class? A class option? A Feat? what?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Mike tweeted that there was a minor error on the upload and that not all the material is there. I imagine they'll re-upload the complete playtest doc shortly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
UPDATE - IMPORTANT NOTE FROM MIKE MEARLS: "For folks looking at the psionics material in today's UA, looks like there was a minor error. Not all the material is there." Keep an eye on it; I expect it'll be fixed soon.

houser2112

Explorer
I keep hitting refresh, thinking the connection was interrupted in the middle of downloading the document, but it never changes. Something must be wrong with WotC's server or something. It never gives me the rest of the document.

EDIT: I was being snarky, but it was actually true!

Remove ads

Remove ads