Unearthed Arcana Psionics Hits Unearthed Arcana

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

UPDATE - IMPORTANT NOTE FROM MIKE MEARLS: "For folks looking at the psionics material in today's UA, looks like there was a minor error. Not all the material is there." Keep an eye on it; I expect it'll be fixed soon.

UPDATE 2 - fixed! Updated document includes another three disciplines (Celerity, Iron Durability, and Psionic Weapon) and the basic rules to the class.

Find it here!

That actually seems really weird. I would expect them to wait for a survey, then put out the next iteration in another 2-4 months. Taking it down seems more like a technical glitch than an intentional act.

Jhaelen

First Post
Huh. It appears, WotC removed the document from the Wizards .com website.
[...]
Fortunately, you can still download the pdf from the Wizards site here:
media.wizards .com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA6_AwakenedMysticv2.pdf
Phew! Thanks for that. For a moment I'd thought I'd finally become too dumb for the internet since I couldn't find the document anywhere...

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, considering I'm not participating in any social network, not following twitter, reddit, or whatever else is currently the hottest :):):):), I'm bound to be completely segregated eventually.

Seeing Windows 8 apps with their stupid tiles is also giving me fits. What was wrong with menus and icons bars?
After my latest iOS update I seem to be incapable of simply listening to one of my albums on my iPhone, instead I'm apparently supposed to listen to AppleMusic stations now. I already hated the 'improvements' they made the last time they changed their music app, but this is a lot worse! Whatever happened to being able to intuitively use iPhone apps? Has any of Apple's developers recently had a look at iPhone Settings? There's a bazillion of options in hundreds of different categories that for the most part make absolutely no sense to me.

I also find the WotC website to be confusing as hell. So, modern web design seems to have left me behind, already, as well.

I'm getting old :(

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
[MENTION=46713]Jhaelen[/MENTION] , it's not you. You're not old...or rather, more likely, I am comparably "old" to you. hahaha. But, while I can't speak to app's or i-anything at all, I can tell you as far as the WotC site, it's not "modern web design"...it's a BAD poorly designed site. It IS confusing. It IS (for no discernible reason I can see) difficult to use/find anything. So, at least in that, chin up! It's not you. :cool:

Agamon

Adventurer
Hopefully those like me that don't like psionics in their D&D don't go and vote "Very dissatisfied" on everything in the poll. That helps no one.

I did participate, however, by skipping the article voting and submitting a comment along the lines of not devoting a bunch of UA articles to a single subject that a number of players don't care for (not to say they would, I just hope they won't).

bogmad

First Post
I did participate, however, by skipping the article voting and submitting a comment along the lines of not devoting a bunch of UA articles to a single subject that a number of players don't care for (not to say they would, I just hope they won't).

I'm confused; so your comment was that they shouldn't try to playtest highly contentious subjects that a lot of people are clamoring for, just because there are some people that don't like the subject?

What should UA articles be for then? I thought the whole idea was that UA was for optional stuff maybe not everyone might want in their games, but some people would?

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm confused; so your comment was that they shouldn't try to playtest highly contentious subjects that a lot of people are clamoring for, just because there are some people that don't like the subject?

What should UA articles be for then? I thought the whole idea was that UA was for optional stuff maybe not everyone might want in their games, but some people would?

Sorry, I could have wrote that better, perhaps. I'm saying that I hope it's not the same thing over and over every month. It would be better if new content gets added to older releases. In other words, any new psionics rules just gets added to the July UA article.

bogmad

First Post
Sorry, I could have wrote that better, perhaps. I'm saying that I hope it's not the same thing over and over every month. It would be better if new content gets added to older releases. In other words, any new psionics rules just gets added to the July UA article.

That makes sense. I expect they'll at least try to not have the same subject repeated from one month to the next. Unless they're trying to get something ready to go in a supplement, but given the release schedule that's unlikely, and would also presumes they'd put that much effort into playtesting if they were trying to release more splat (dubious at best).

I could see them adding psionic updates as an addendum to other UA articles, but even if they don't my guess is they'll take at least a month off in between so as to provide something for those who just don't care about psionics

Remove ads

Remove ads