D&D 5E Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh 5e

Nebulous

Legend
So I'm thinking of adapting this to 5e during an upcoming beach trip, we'll just play it all week long and finish it up. Any suggestions or advice from people who have run or played it? It's supposed to be very good and widely regarded as one of the better D&D modules.

So I'm thinking of adapting this to 5e during an upcoming beach trip, we'll just play it all week long and finish it up. Any suggestions or advice from people who have run or played it? It's supposed to be very good and widely regarded as one of the better D&D modules.

I have run this adventure in AD&D 3E and GURPS. It is a really cool adventure that will adapt well to 5E. Because 5E has so many options for fighter types, the players can be swashbuckler types and they will fit in nicely with the flavor of the adventure. To me it seems the typical heavily armored dungeon exploration type of party doesn't fit as well with all the action that can take place on and around the ship.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If you're going to be playing all week long and you also have copies of U2 Danger at Dunwater, and U3 The Final Enemy... you might want to think about bringing/playing all three.

As U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is really only just a haunted house exploration followed by possibly taking over the smuggler ship, you might get through the adventure rather quickly. I think when I ran the module during the D&D Next Playtest we actually finished the entire adventure in one evening. Thus... having the second module (where the group goes to the lizardfolk to possibly formalize an alliance) and the third module (where the party and lizardfolk invade the sahuagin lair) available to continue the adventure throughout the week might be good to have. The three modules are a nice beginning-middle-end to a fun little story.

Remathilis

Legend
Find a copy of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide II, it has a full writeup of Saltmarsh full of plot hooks. Its set somewhat after U1-3, but enough of its portable back. Seriously, its one of the best town writeups I've ever seen.

Nebulous

Legend
Find a copy of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide II, it has a full writeup of Saltmarsh full of plot hooks. Its set somewhat after U1-3, but enough of its portable back. Seriously, its one of the best town writeups I've ever seen.

good idea! That really was a fantastic book. For any game system.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Hey, so what about using the original 3 adventures as written and splicing them with the 3.5 version of Saltmarsh? What kind of complications am I looking at from doing that?

Nebulous

Legend
Ok, well, I do have the old DMG 2 and reading over it, and man, it's so packed with information you hardly NEED the saltmarsh adventures. That's not what I was looking for though, as awesome as it is. I wanted to run the first one (and maybe two and three) largely intact and update to 5e.

Nebulous

Legend
Oh, WOW, ok...the Saltmarsh 3.5 is SO GOOD that it is its own mini-campaign. I can't mix it with the originals, too much flavor difference. Man, those guys did a good job with the DMG 2....sheesh.

Remove ads