D&D 5E Monsters for a Second Monster Book

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I'd be glad if a new MM leaves out the named characters. They're great to read through and look at but I don't think I'd ever actually use one in a homebrew setting campaign. So far they've only appeared in the adventures (Tiamat, the archomentals, and the cover of Out of the Abyss indicates we'll probably see Demogorgon) and I think that's a good place to publish them.

As for what I'd actually want out of a new MM, I'm in agreement with [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION]. I'm not picky as to specifics as long as it maintains the quality of the first MM.

Vael

Legend
I am also not too picky. Monsters, more monsters. That said, I see a lot of logic in also having more themes and templates for customizing monsters. Also, I'd like some support for other campaign settings, especially Dark Sun, which has a pretty unique bestiary. And Eberron, because I <3 Eberron.

the Jester

Legend
I'd so love a MM2 or Fiend Folio. There are tons of 'missing' cool monsters, many of which have some serious staying power IMHO. Off the top of my head, I'd love to see:

Abishai
Aurumvorax
Avolakia
Brain in a Jar
Destrachan
Disenchanter
Flesh jelly
Forsaken Shell
Foulspawn
Giant (mountain, voadkyn, ocean)
Giant ants
Giant wasps that paralyze you permanently and implant their eggs in you
Golem (hangman, graveyard, bone, alchemical, etc)
Leucrotta
Meenlock
Mustard jelly
Oni (several types!)
Osteopede
Penanngalan
Quickling
Redcap
Shadar-Kai
Son of Kyuss
Sword Spider
Ulgurstasta

Remathilis

Legend
Nymphs. Seriously, how do you make MM1 and not include freaking "best sight you see before you die/are blinded" nymphs?

Beyond that, a lot of people already hit on some good choices. Mongrelfolk (who might be in RoD), shadar-kai, redcaps, corpse collectors, allips, death giants, adamantine golems, and the like. I'd also like to see a few more oddities (like thouls or brain collectors) and maybe they could pull a Pathfinder and do some monsters from myth and legend never done before (like the chupracabra). Oh, fill in the outsiders (eladrin, guardianials, and more demons/devils/loths) too.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
A second manual should be called the Fiend Folio, for tradition's sake. Yes, an MM2 is tradition as well...but Fiend Folio just sounds better than "Here's this again a second time".

Pulling from what others have (and being away from my MM2 and FF, atm) I'd like a little something like this (again, not near my books so apologies if I mention something that's already in the 5e MM...haven't studied it that closely.)

Elementals & Kin
--Sylph
--Pech
--Triton
--Firebats
--Undines
--a few other some low CR/animalistic things (like firebats) that can be used for the Conjure Minor Elementals spell, besides mephits.

Dragons & Kin
--The Gems (maybe only 3 or 4, at least 3)
--Linnorms
--Gorgimera

Giants & Kin
--Firbolg
--Ice Troll (we don't have that yet, right? Just the normal and marine?)
--Some other giant beyond the big 6...but different enough than just some other terrain type. Though I never much cared for the Verbeeg...they were just [marginally] more intelligent hill giants.

Fae & Kin
--Quickling
--Redcap
--Nymph,
------Naiad/Nereid (I know the nereid in D&D has traditionally been a water elemental, but would be nice if they start doing nymphs properly for once)
------Oread
--Fossegrim (I think they're just way under-utilized in D&D. We need more "guy" fae!)
--Swanmae

Humanoids
--More mid & high level Human type options: pirates, warlords, knights, high priests, etc...
--Somemadeupplaces Orcs/Goblins/Savage Humanoids that are different enough from the "normal" ones.
--maybe a couple more lycanthrope/animal shapeshifter types.
--Dark Stalkers/creepers.
--Xvarts (though are they a Greyhawk creation? Or FR specific? I think they're broad enough to include.)

Constructs
--2-4 additional golem types
--living/crystal statues/caryatid columns
--Mudmen

The bottom line is, even if they're relatively common sounding things we already have (something like "Wunderbar Orcs" or "Otherthere Lions") or creatures that we know from other editions, that they are distinct and different enough from what's in the existing MM to warrant their inclusion.

I do not need/want a bunch of "beholder-kin". You have a couple to choose from. If you want something with 6 eyes instead of 10 or 15 powers in 1 eye or whatever, just do it. You don't need page count for that. You know what the spell effects are. You know what you want it to do. As Nike is fond of saying, Just do it!

I do not need page count for a "Fog Giant, Mountain Giant, Swamp Giant" when we already have Hill and Stone and Cloud and Storm. Take the cloud giant spec's and give them some "misty powers". Poof! You have a Fog giant.

I would LIKE to stay away from setting-specific things (other than FR stuff which is obviously the default assumptions). Leave them for UA articles or setting specific books/pdf's/projects. For example, I thought "They could include Valley Elves and Kender..." but then, in retrospect, I would rather they just go in Greyhawk/DL, respectively, material.

I concur with the observation that the named bid baddies all seem to be getting their debuts in the adventure paths...and I think that works/is working...certainly for them and driving sales. But a free pdf of them, once released should suffice. I agree, I don't need 20 pages of named individuals demons/devils/elemental lords/princes & arch-daemons that demand a certain conceit of the game and planes and multiverse.

I dunno...I'm sure there're more. I'll probably post again after I get home and can really give the MM2 & FF a once over.

Higher level monsters, more mechanically interesting monsters, and monsters that are actually tough for their CR. We already have tons of X hp, 10+1d4 AC, poor attack bonus monsters. With D&D's encounter budget overly bloating the value of multiple monsters, we need a lot of higher level foes. MM1 guys feel like pushovers save for a few (fire giants, shadow dragons, intellect devourers, hobgoblins).

fuindordm

Adventurer
My only disappointment with the MM is how much page count they wasted on dragons, and certain variant monsters that are nearly identical to the base monster ( e.g. Death tyrant). But I love the ratio of lore to stat block, so ideally yes, more of the same.

We could definitely use more fey and elementals to support the summon spells.

I'd like to see lots of monsters supporting certain ecologies: ilithids, the elemental planes, high-cr fey...

And lots more monster abilities to mix and match

Vael

Legend
Here's a thought, what about some of the crazier races, with a PC sidebar? Things like Shardminds, Killoren/Wilden, Shadar-Kai, Dromites, or Illumian?

That way, they are more explicitly DM options to allow as PCs.

A focus on higher level threats is pretty much a must, along with more templates and customization options.

I'd like to see a limit on the number of new dragons, devils, demons, and giants. Every MM seems to want to tack on a few of those, and 99% of the time they're superfluous.

There should be some more NPCs of course. There's a few archetypes missing, like the monk, skald, tavern brawler, innkeeper, as well as some higher level variants like a head priest, knight commander, high druid.

I got into the game with 2e and the Monstrous Manual, so there's a lot of monsters I think of as "classics" that haven't seen a lot of love in the past.

Allip
Aquatic elf
Assassin vine
Astral dreadnought
Aurumvorax
Barghest
Bodak
Boneclaw
Brain Mole
Carbuncle
Catoblepas
Cave fisher
Cooshee
Crabman
Crimson mist
Dark Creeper & dark stalker
Deamons/ Yugoloths
Demon, Bebilith
Derro
Devourer
Disenchanter
Dragon spawn
Feyr (or fihyr)
Firboolg
Flail Snail
Formians
Froghemoth
Giant, death
Gibberling
Girallon
Grippli
Hatori
Huecuva
Hippocampus
Ixitxachiti
Leprechaun
Living Wall
Mohrg
Mongrelman
Necrophidius
Nerid
Neogi
Neothelid
Nightshade
Nymph
Pech
Phase spider
Pheonix
Quickling
Retriever
Shadar-kai
Shocker Lizard
Sylph
Sons of kyuss/ larval mage
Tasloi
Trapper
Triton
Vargouille
Vegepygmy
Violet Fungus
Yellow musk creeper

That's a good 60-odd monsters. Which seems like a heck of a lot, being a good 100 pages or more. But still only a third of a book. Yikes!

Remove ads