D&D 5E Would "ranger" have been better as a background?

akr71

Hero
I'm with Bawylie. Though, if I remember my 1e character sheets correctly, Bard and Monk were shoe-horned into the Multiclass & Thief sheet respectively.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Maybe. I really, really love the Ranger archetype (the one in my head), but the public definition is so diluted that I'm not sure it can ever be restored. I'd rather have no Ranger than have it be some combination of Druidic Paladin, militant hippy, and magical beastmaster. None of those are core to Ranger, and the second one really isn't even compatible with the archetype, IMO.

mellored

Legend
I would prefer build-a-class talent trees or similar.

But yes, ranger should of remained a background. There are only a few unique ranger mechanics like ensnaring strike.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's called Outlander.

"Better," I dunno. I think to a lot of people being a ranger is more than Survival proficiency.

Agreed.
Or more accurately, the very freeform and variable nature of skills in 5th edition does not allow the varying allowed usages of the Nature and Survival skill from one DM to another to be anyway practical without another more complex system (classes) taking up the slack.

What one DM might allow a "ranger" to do with the Nature and Survival skill would be very different from another DM in the absence of a "ranger" class.

Essentially the class is a basic standardization device for the system.

It would be tough to include all the iconic ranger abilities and squeeze them into a background. Expert tracking, woodcraft, magic user & druid spells. It would be the most unbalanced background ever.

Imaro

Legend
I was wondering today if a ranger would be better as a background?

I think a better question is... Why does there have to be a single way to create a "Ranger"? Right now you can go Ranger-lite with the Outlander background or full on Ranger with the class...

Remove ads