D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

darkbard

Legend
Not 100% clear, but think they're utility powers with a level. And you can select them when you select utility powers, not when you select Channel Divinity powers. Which is the implication from the 'Powers for Other Clerics' section.

Thanks! Yes, I agree that the implication is that these are available for Templars as Utility power choices, but since they're level 1 and the HT feat says "start with a single cleric Channel Divinity power of your choice," it does seem ambiguous.

Anyway, thanks for weighing in! I'll go with "rules ambiguous but probably off limits via the feat."

Arikabeth

Explorer
Hey, I have a question regarding domain powers granted to Warpriests (i.e. essentials version clerics). Can domain powers, where there is no choice between different powers, be retrained into other powers?

For example: Warpriests of the Death domain get the "Death's Shadow" lvl 1 cleric At-Will power at lvl 1. Can the Death's Shadow power be retrained at lvl 2 into, for instance, the "Lance of Faith" Cleric lvl 1 At-Will power?

I was under the impression that every essentials power that was granted without giving an array of powers to select between, could not be swapped out unless with a multiclass feat (or reserve maneuver, or something similar), and when peeking at an old warpriest charop guide, retraining away "unoptimal" powers isn't discussed as an option at all (whereas power swapping out encounter powers with multiclass feats is discussed): http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...iests-(by-GelatinousOctahedron)&prefixid=wotc

MwaO

Adventurer
For example: Warpriests of the Death domain get the "Death's Shadow" lvl 1 cleric At-Will power at lvl 1. Can the Death's Shadow power be retrained at lvl 2 into, for instance, the "Lance of Faith" Cleric lvl 1 At-Will power?

"Retraining doesn’t allow replacing a power that has no level, such as a cleric’s healing word; a power designated as a feature; or a power gained from a paragon path or an epic destiny. If a power has no level but you chose it from a list of powers, you can replace it with a different power from that list."

So Death's Shadow falls into a weird category of 'Power gained from Domain Features'. You probably shouldn't be able to retrain it, but I can't possibly think of what's the harm in allowing an Essentials PC to pick powers from the same list as other members of the same class. It has a level, so that should be okay.

I'd be more leery with Binder being allowed to retrain the accidentally leveled at-will into a regular Warlock at-will, though.

Arikabeth

Explorer
"Retraining doesn’t allow replacing a power that has no level, such as a cleric’s healing word; a power designated as a feature; or a power gained from a paragon path or an epic destiny. If a power has no level but you chose it from a list of powers, you can replace it with a different power from that list."

So Death's Shadow falls into a weird category of 'Power gained from Domain Features'. You probably shouldn't be able to retrain it, but I can't possibly think of what's the harm in allowing an Essentials PC to pick powers from the same list as other members of the same class. It has a level, so that should be okay.

I'd be more leery with Binder being allowed to retrain the accidentally leveled at-will into a regular Warlock at-will, though.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm still a tad confused by the wording on the warpriest domain powers though. On page 88 in HotFL it says "level 1 domain feature: benefit: You gain benefits associated with your domain, which include special features plus two at-will attack powers, one utility power, and one encounter attack power."

On page 109 in HotFL it says : "Level 1 Storm domain features and powers: benefit: You gain Z benefit. (...) You also gain the following powers: (...)",

On page 91 in HotFL it says: "Level 3 domain encounter power: benefit: You gain an encounter attack power associated with your domain"

Hence I'm a tad curious if the domain powers granted count as "powers gained though a feature", and thus prevented being retrained, or if they count as "domain powers", and whether "domain powers" in this context count as "powers designated as features".

The "harm" is mostly that it sets a precedent for if it's allowed to retrain the 2x domain lvl 1 at-wills, the lvl 1, 3 and 7 domain encounter powers, the lvl 1 domain utility power, and possibly the lvl domain 1 channel divinity power (which seems a tad cheesy).

I still think the domain powers count as "powers designated as features", but I'm afraid I may be misinterpreting the rules.

MwaO

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply!

I'm still a tad confused by the wording on the warpriest domain powers though. On page 88 in HotFL it says "level 1 domain feature: benefit: You gain benefits associated with your domain, which include special features plus two at-will attack powers, one utility power, and one encounter attack power."

On page 109 in HotFL it says : "Level 1 Storm domain features and powers: benefit: You gain Z benefit. (...) You also gain the following powers: (...)",

On page 91 in HotFL it says: "Level 3 domain encounter power: benefit: You gain an encounter attack power associated with your domain"

Hence I'm a tad curious if the domain powers granted count as "powers gained though a feature", and thus prevented being retrained, or if they count as "domain powers", and whether "domain powers" in this context count as "powers designated as features"

Think it is up to the DM. I literally can't see the breakable case with Warpriest taking Templar options. In the best case scenario, you'll probably be a slightly inferior Templar.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Do the effects of the feat Ankle Biter stack with the Pick Expertise feat?
Not in the sense that you add the damage bonus to the extra crit dice (and that goes for any bonus that doesn't say it adds to crit dice, but to damage rolls).
But, yes, in the sense that all your damage bonuses go into calculating your max damage when you crit, in the first place, and yes in the sense that Pick Expertise is an untyped bonus, so stacks with any other bonuses just fine.

If that's for a character, it should pick up a Goblin Totem, too. Item bonus stacks, it can be any kind of weapon.

FWIW here's a dump of everything with "larger than you" for your Small-PC optimization perusal. No idea of these things are any good, or even relevant beyond that phrase.

[sblock] Search Results: Backgrounds (1) Results per page: 20 | 50 | 100
Name Type Campaign Associated Skills Source
Slave Racial General Athletics, Endurance Dragon Magazine 392

Search Results: Feats (10) Results per page: 20 | 50 | 100
Name Tier Source
Stout-Handed Staff Dragon Magazine 391
Ankle Biter Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Handbook
Yaramite Giantslayer Practice Heroic Dark Sun Campaign Setting
Wrath of Ages Past Heroic Divine Power
Second Step Heroic Dragon Magazine 381
Hunting Spear Chieftain Heroic Martial Power 2
Hunting Spear Skirmisher Heroic Martial Power 2
Hunting Spear Warder Heroic Martial Power 2
Lost in the Crowd Heroic Player's Handbook
Underfoot Paragon Player's Handbook

Search Results: Items (5) Results per page: 20 | 50 | 100
Name Category Level Cost Rarity Source
Horn Totem Weapon 2 520 gp Common Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Skull Totem Weapon 2 520 gp Common Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Goblin Totem Weapon 2+ 520+ gp Uncommon Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Goliath's Belt Waist 9 4,200 gp Common Adventurer's Vault
Giantdodger Armor Armor 13+ 17,000+ gp Uncommon Adventurer's Vault

Search Results: Paragon Paths (1) Results per page: 20 | 50 | 100
Name Prerequisite Source
Stone Keeper Dwarf, cleric, trained in History Divine Power

Search Results: Powers (2) Results per page: 20 | 50 | 100
Name Class Level Action Type Source
Tide of Iron Fighter 1 Standard Multiple Sources
Dance of the Stinging Hornet [Attack Technique] Monk 13 Standard Player's Handbook 3[/sblock]

delph

Explorer
What will be when i have "extra attack" and "Thirsting blade" Invocation? Nothing I have just 2 attacks, or I have 3 (one regular, one from Extra and one from Thirsting blade) or 4 (regular + thirstling blade, then Extra a thirstling aganin)?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases