• Concord Administrator

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other (post your idea/choice)

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 20 16.8%

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Things have been a little tense throughout the Warlord threads, so maybe it’s time for a less contentious topic and one we can have a little fun with: the name of the Warlord class. This is a Warlord thread topic that hasn’t had its own treatment for a while, and there have been a lot of comments made about the name of the Warlord class throughout these threads. Since we’re making/proposing a new Warlord Class, seems that this is as good a time as any to give it a new name (or at least get ideas/data/opinions on the name).

I’ve poured over the older threads about the class name, and scoured Wikipedia and thesaurus’s for name ideas.

Here’s what I have (below), with my commentary on each.* I boiled these potential names down to the ones I thought most likely to be accepted or most appropriate. I tried to judge names on the following criteria:

-Is not exclusively/predominantly Military, but does not exclude Military.
-Is not exclusively/predominantly Civilian, but does not exclude Civilian.
-Does not specificallydenote Authority, but does denote Leadership.
-Does not carry anyother exclusive connotation.
-Sounds like a class name, and could stand on its own next to other class names.

However, I have included some results in the poll that don’t fulfill some of the above criteria because of tradition, or simply because of how they sound.

*Editorial Caveat: All commentary is wholly my own opinion, and not a reflection of the Warlord staff.

Warlord – has a connotation of despotic evilness and illegitimate authority, but it’s the current name so it’s in the poll.

Warduke – similar to Warlord and has a nobility/class rank aspect, but sounds cool so it’s in the poll.

Marshal – has both a predominantly military connotation and a noble/class rank aspect, but it’s the name of the 3.5E class so it’s in the poll.

Commander – has a predominantly military connotation, and is a rank name, but is predominantly a positional title rather than rank, so I included it in the poll to be fair.

Battle Master – has a predominantly combat-only connotation, but it’s the name of the Warlord-ish, 5E Fighter Class Archetype so it’s in the poll.

Decanus (decurio, decurion) – technically a rank (Roman squad leader or “leader of ten”) but obscure enough to work and related to similar civil titles – also a rare medieval title (military, civil, and church officials) – etymological root of Dean (through Doyen).

Facilis – Latin root of Facilitator (a large part of what the class does – facilitates tactics, strategy, and synergy for the group), and it sounds cool (semi-cool?).

Coordinatus – Latin root of Coordinator (similar reasoning as Facilis).

Consul – My personal favorite – it has military connotation (Military Consul, War Consul) and Civil connotation (civil title and function), doesn’t imply authority, and even fits an adventuring theme (Expeditionary Consul).

Adjuvant/Adjutant – From the Latin “to help” – Adjuvant is also a term used as a pharmacological or immunological agent, much like a biological catalyst, to support other treatments or make things better.

Caid/Qaid/Alcaide – From Moorish Arabic for “leader”

Docent – From the Latin “to teach” –usually a university title for professors, but I like the sound of the word and threw it in for added diversity in choices.

Sardaukar – Just a little joke.

Concord Administrator – Another joke.

Rejected ideas:
Captain (exclusively military, exclusivelya rank, exclusively noble, modern usage)
Sergeant, Corporal, Lance Corporal (exclusively military, exclusively ranks, exclusively non-noble, too much modern usage)
Dean (college connotation, church connotation, and sounds boring)
Doyen (same as above, and sounds stupid when spoken – Doh!)
Chief (overly authoritative)
Castelan, Provost, Chamberlain, Seneschal, Herald, Steward, Commissioner (all are too civil, denote administrators, and imply nobility or a noble servant)
Commisar (too USSR)
Legate (exclusively military, exclusively a rank, and too Star Trek Cardassian)
Preator (military and civil, but denotes very high rank/class and authority)
Archon (predominantly military, a rank, and a D&D race name)
Caudillo (Spanish/Latin, literally Captain, and used pejoratively for Warlord and Dictator, in Spanish culture it has a very strong authoritative connotation)
Condottieri (Spanish/Latin, literally Mercenary Captain or Mercenary Warlord)
Chancellor (Hello Mr. Palpatine…)
Magistrate (Judge – I Am the Law!)
Primus (Prime – In Charge – too authoritative)
Bashar/Burseg (exclusively military, exclusively a rank, too authoritative, too Dune)
Director (too authoritative, too boring)
Facilitator, Expediter, Coordinator,Adviser/Advisor, Moderator (too boring – but have included the Latin root Facilis and Coordinatus in the poll)
Counsellor (booooooooring)
Consigliere (too Godfather)
Ambassador, Emissary, Mediator, Delegate, Envoy (too much Diplomat and not enough strategy, tactics, and combat – and too Noble)
Master/Maester/Maesteri/Maestro (predominantly craft skill level, craft guild rank, or academic/musical)
Headman/Hauptman (root of Captain and too authoritative)
Proconsul (the Pro- makes it too authoritative)
Shepherd (too religious, too bucolic, too Firefly)
Synergist (too boring, and sounds like some kind of psychic)
Armiger (exclusively military and noble)
Sherriff (too noble, too law enforcement)
Impetro/Impetrus (too authoritative – Imperial)
Adjunct (too subordinate, too Star Trek Borg - Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One)
Prolucutor (the Pro- makes it too authoritative, sounds like the person is a professional talker, and is just too hard to say)
Warden (too Ranger)
Leader(zzzzzzzzzz…)

[sblock=Mentions/Invitations(because you contributed to a Warlord thread)] @3e4ever ; @77IM @Aaron Of Barbaria; @AbdulAlhazred ; @admcewen ; @Aenghus ; @Ahrimon ; @Ainulindalion ; @airwalkrr; @Aldarc ; @akr71 ; @AmerginLiath ; @Andor ; @AntiStateQuixote ; @aramis erak; @Aribar ; @Arnwolf ; @Ashkelon ; @Ashrym ; @Athinar ; @AtomicPope ; @Azurewraith; @Azzy ; @Bawylie ; @bedir than ; @Bedrockgames ; @bert1000 ; @billd91 ; @Blackbrrd; @Blackwarder ; @Blue ; @Bluenose ; @brehobit ; @BryonD ; @Bupp ; @Campbell ; @CapnZapp; @CaptainConundrum ; @CaptainGemini ; @Carlsen Chris ; @casterblaster ; @CasvalRemDeikun; @cbwjm ; @ccooke ; @Celebrim ; @Celondon @ChameleonX ; @Charles Wright ; ChrisCarlson; @CM ; @cmad1977 ; @costermonger ; @Creamsteak ; @Crothian ; @Cybit ; @Dausuul; @Dayte ; @dd.stevenson ; @DEFCON 1 ; @Delazar ; @DersitePhantom ; @Diffan ; @discosoc; @D'karr ; @Doc Klueless ; @doctorbadwolf ; @DonAdam ; @Dragoslav ; @Duganson; @EdL ; @EditorBFG ; @Edwin Suijkerbuijk ; @Eejit ; @ehren37 ; @Elfcrusher ; @El Mahdi ; @epithet; @erf_beto ; @Eric V ; @eryndel ; @Evenglare ; @ExploderWizard ; @EzekielRaiden; @Fedge123 ; @fendak ; @FireLance ; @Fishing_Minigame ; @Flamestrike ; @FLexor the Mighty! ; @Forged Fury ; @Fragsie ; @Fralex ; @FreeTheSlaves ; @froth ; @Gadget; @Galendril ; @GameOgre ; @Garthanos ; @Ghost Matter ; @Giltonio_Santos ; @Gimul; @GMforPowergamers ; @Gnashtooth ; @Green1 ; @GreenKarl ; @Greg K ; @GreyLord; @Grimmjow ; @Grydan ; @GX.Sigma ; @Halivar ; @HEEGZ ; @Hemlock ; @Henry ; @Herobizkit; @Hussar; @IchneumonWasp ; @I'm A Banana ; @Imaro ; @Iosue ; @Irennan ; @JackOfAllTirades; @jacktannery ; @jadrax ; @Jaelommiss ; @JamesTheLion ; @JamesonCourage ; @JasonZZ; @jayoungr ; @JediGamemaster ; @JeffB ; @Jester Canuck ; @jgsugden ; @jodyjohnson; @Joe Liker ; @JohnLynch ; @Johnny3D3D ; @KarinsDad ; @kerbarian ; @kerleth ; @Kinak; @KingsRule77 ; @Kirfalas ; @Kobold Stew ; @koga305 ; @Lanefan ; @Lanliss ; @Leatherhead; @Libramarian ; @Li Shenron ; @LuisCarlos17f ; @lowkey13 ; @Manbearcat ; @MarkB; @MechaPilot ; @Mecheon ; @mellored ; @Mephista ; @Mercule ; @MG.0 ; @MichaelSomething; @Miladoon ; @Minigiant ; @Mishihari Lord ; @Mistwell ; @MoogleEmpMog ; @Mon @MonkeezOnFire ; @MoonSong(Kaiilurker) ; @MostlyDm ; @Mouseferatu ; @MoutonRustique; @Nemesis Destiny ; @neobolts ; @Neonchameleon ; @Nifft ; @nightspaladin ; @nomotog; @n00bdragon ; @Obryn ; @Ohillion ; @oknazevad ; @Olgar Shiverstone ; @Orlax ; @Otterscrubber ; @Pandamonium87 ; @Paraxis ; @PaulO. ; @Pauln6 ; @Pauper ; @payn; @pemerton ; @peterka99 ;@ Pickles III ; @Pickles JG ; @pkt77242 ; @pming ; @pogre; @PopeYodaI ; @Prickly ; @procproc ; @Psikerlord ; @Psikerlord# ; @(Psi)SeveredHead; @Quickleaf ; @Raith5 ; @raleel ; @Ralif Redhammer ; @Raloc ; @Ranes ; @RangerWickett; @Ratskinner ; @redrick ; @Rejuvenator ; @Remathilis ; @Ristamar ; @RolenArcher; @Roland55 ; @RPG_Tweaker ; @Rune ; @Rygar ; @Sacrosanct ; @Saelorn ; @Saeviomagy; @sailor-Moon ; @SailorNash ; @Saplatt ; @Satyrn ; @Shades of Eternity ; @shadowmane; @sheadunne ; @Shasarak ; @shidaku ; @shintashi ; @Shiroiken ; @SigmaOne ; @sleypy; @sleypy01 ; @SpiderMonkey ; @Staccat0 ; @Staffan ; @steeldragons ; @steenan @STeveC ; @strider13x ; @Strider1973 ; @Sword of Spirit ; @Talmek ; @TerraDave; @TheCosmicKid ; @The_Gneech ; @TheHobgoblin ; @The Human Target ; @the Jester; @The Mirrorball Man ; @The Myopic Sniper ; @ThirdWizard ; @Tia Nadiezja ; @Tinker-TDC; @Tonguez ; @Tony Vargas ; @Tormyr ; @TrippyHippy ; @tsadkiel ; @tuxgeo ; @twigglythe Gnome ; @TwoSix ; @Uchawi ; @Ulorian ; @UnadvisedGoose445 ; @UngeheuerLich; @Us ; @Valmarius ; @Warbringer ; @was ; @wedgeski ; @Wednesday Boy ; @Wik ; @WillDoyle ; @Winterthorn ; @Wuzzard ; @Xeviat ; @Yaarel ; @Yunru ; @Zalabim ; @Zansy; @Zardnaar ; @Zeuel ; @ZickZak ; @ZombieRoboNinja ; @ZzarkLinux

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
On a side note; I'm fairly certain that Warduke was the name of the villain in some of the old DnD products. I remember having colouring books back when I was a kid with him in them.

tumblr_m9vum3P4LX1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

Celebrim

Legend
I've long held that the correct term for the concept frequently called warlord or marshall is "Fighter".

It's simply the "smart fighter" or "charismatic fighter" archetype. It's a bad idea because it silos away from the fighter abilities that should be part of the fighter's core idea. Every fighter eventually should reach a point when they are no longer just a grunt on the field, but a legitimate leader of men in battle. The concept of a warlord or marshal is simply a fighter that is especially good at that, even at low level. It should be a fighter subclass, plus a few feats available to enhance anyone that wants to take that 'battle leader' sort of role.

Incidentally, I like 'Battle Leader', 'Captain', 'Commander', and 'Marshal'. To master battle is not the same as leading in one, or over others. Commander is the most appropriate modern analogue, but in the middle ages the word Captain would have been preferred as the term applied to the leader of any band of men and was much less of a formal rank. The retention of the usage is seen in the captain of a sports team, particular when the captain is elected or chosen rather than appointed. Marshall is fine as well, although it applies as much to the idea of bringing men to a battle than to leading them in it, it also applies to being the leader (hense the term 'Field Marshal'). Much more than 'Captain' though, I think Marshal implies rank. A leader of bandits could claim to be their captain, and would even be accepted as entitled to the title because it merely means leader and not a rank. I don't think the same idea is true of the word Marshal. A self-titled captain is still a captain. But a self-titled general is pretentious. So Commander and Captain are better than Marshal.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Yeah, I still haven't thought of or found a name I really like.

Warlord I'm fine with just because that's already in use.

Marshal I would be fine with if Martial wasn't already in use in the game (especially in 4e.)

Commander I'm actually okay with even if its a bit bland.

Warduke I've never considered before but I don't mind it.

I've been trying to come up with a totally new word or reappropriated word or term for the concept.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Why not Banneret?

I didn't think of that at all - don't know how I missed it. Probably because I dismissed noble titles right from the start - didn't even consider them.

It sounds good though. However, it does have a predominantly military and noble connotation, despite it also being a magisterial title of church controlled Rome.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases