7TH SEA Sold To John Wick

After recent acquisitions and changes with Chaosium and White Wolf, the latest change of game rights ownership involves Alderac Entertainment Group selling the rights to the 7th Sea roleplaying game to original designer John Wick (under his John Wick Presents label). Wick was a mainstay of the original development back in 1999. 7th Sea is a kind of exaggerated 17th century Europe.

Keep an eye on sailthe7thsea.com.

[video=youtube;3qJqrSH9keI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJqrSH9keI[/video]

"AEG is excited to announce that we have entered into a deal with John Wick Presents to sell back the publication rights for the 7th Sea game line. AEG will still retain rights to publish a number of products within that line over the next few years and we are negotiating and planning what that will be but have no announcements at this time.

John Wick was part of the original AEG development crew and we created some awesome worlds together during our first 5 years of business but 7th Sea was his personal passion project and while it benefited from being published at AEG, it was his baby. This deal puts the game the world he loves back in his hands and gives AEG an opportunity to adventure once again on the high seas in one of the most beloved gaming worlds of the last 20 years.

John Zinser, CEO of AEG, is excited for JWP and AEG. “The world of 7th Sea is just too amazing to spend any more time sitting on a shelf and while a deal we announced a month or so ago for that other property we developed has gotten a lot of attention this deal has been in negotiation for much longer. It is just good Karma that 7Th Sea ends up back with it’s creator. We are excited that we get to keep the part of the playground we do best and let JWP start to grow the brand again from the ground up.”

“It’s the game I get asked about most,” John Wick (owner of JWP) said. “More than anything I’ve ever done. I’m very proud of the work that was done, but I’m also very excited to see the game rejuvenated with modern game design and technology.”

“I’m very glad AEG is doing card and board games,” John Wick said. “They’ve proven to be one of the best companies in the world when it comes to those kinds of games. I’m excited to see what they come up with.”

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Legend of the Five Rings to Fantasy Flight, White Wolf to Paradox, Chaosium to Moon Design, and now this. It has definitely been a busy second half of the year in the RPG business.

7th Sea is, after D&D, my favourite RPG of all time, one that I play whenever I have the chance.

This development makes me a very, very happy man.

7sth Sea is a IP with a great potential. Some film produce could create a new "Pirates of the Caribean" with this franchise...

Almost Off-topic. (Warning: Controversy about fantasy vs real History)

But I am Spanish and I hate "Castilla", the 7thS version of my real Spain, with all the clichés of anti-Spanish black legend. Please, in the real Spanish History the worst age of terror wasn´t by the Inquisition, but by the red terror during 30's years. The comunists killed more people in only a month that executed by Inquisition in all History.

RPGs are fantasy, when you go to play you don't worry about real world matters, but please, I haven't spent my money to be offended but people who want to teach me about History but it is only cheap propaganda.

I mean I don´t want to find in fantasy fiction all the anti-Spanish predjucices I have been suffering in my real life during decades.

7sth Sea is a IP with a great potential. Some film produce could create a new "Pirates of the Caribean" with this franchise...

Almost Off-topic. (Warning: Controversy about fantasy vs real History)

But I am Spanish and I hate "Castilla", the 7thS version of my real Spain, with all the clichés of anti-Spanish black legend. Please, in the real Spanish History the worst age of terror wasn´t by the Inquisition, but by the red terror during 30's years. The comunists killed more people in only a month that executed by Inquisition in all History.

RPGs are fantasy, when you go to play you don't worry about real world matters, but please, I haven't spent my money to be offended but people who want to teach me about History but it is only cheap propaganda.

I mean I don´t want to find in fantasy fiction all the anti-Spanish predjucices I have been suffering in my real life during decades.

I understand what you mean (I'm not Spanish myself, but 6 of my 8 great-grandparents were born in Asturias, Catalunya and the Basque Country). I do like Castilla in general (most of my 7th Sea games take place in Castilla, Montaigne and Vodacce), but I always change it up, since I feel it has two major pitfalls: The excessive Mexican overtones (which I suppose feel minor to non-Iberians or non-Hispanic Americans, but to me at least are very dissonant) and the overdependency on Black Legend stuff, which causes the nation to feel shallow. Right now, the Castilla in my games feels more like a fantasy version of Capitan Alatriste's Spain, I guess.

CM

Adventurer
At first I thought the sequel to Keanu's John Wick was going to be a pretty big departure from the first movie.

In my homebrew version of 7th sea the Empire of the Crescent Moon is the main antagonist. with an army of werebeasts, not only werewolfs, and half-golems ( =arcanepunk cyborgs), attacking all Teath to get slaves. And with a secret surprise, the sultan has half-alien, because his mother is a fay with djinn ancestors and shapeshipter powers. What best way to infiltrate than the harem?

And the lord vampires, controlling humans by means of secret mansonery lodges and witches circles.

Paraxis

Explorer
This is the same guy who says game balance doesn't matter, that D&D isn't a roleplaying game and his contribution to the hobby is the abomination that is Galaxy XXX which is on the same level as FATAL in all things.

I enjoy the roll and keep system, I like the setting of 7th sea, but the fact that this property is back in the hands of John Wick is sad news not good news.

Some links for people to educate themselves about this "game designer".

http://johnwickpresents.com/updates/galaxy-xxx-laws-sausages/

http://johnwickpresents.com/games/game-designs/chess-is-not-an-rpg-the-illusion-of-game-balance/comment-page-1/

Oh and if you want a laugh watch some of his youtube videos here is his channel so you can see and hear the man's own words.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPyPASGalHol_kq8J8ldG7w

Me and some friends watched them as a group one night and did nothing but make fun of him it was good times.

Yeah, John Wick is a somewhat strange chap - I've heard stories - but the line for 7th Sea started getting really weird when he left, so it is probably a good thing that it returns to his hands. Hopefully he makes the system less odd (I could handle it for a short campaign, but wouldn't want to run it again) and continues to make the setting fun to play in.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases