D&D 5E I just don't see why they even bothered with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Well the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is here and it's getting pretty mixed reviews from "absolutely love it" to "what is this supposed to be?"

After looking at the book I'm going to have to agree with some people when they say they don't really see where this book belongs. I could see someone who is brand new to the Realms picking it up but I wouldn't say there are many of those since the last Forgotten Realms guide came out during 4th edition.

It seems that once again, Wizards has decided to abandon the current and long time fanbase to this supposed future fanbase that is waiting in droves. It looks to me like they would have been better off posting a free online "Forgotten Realms The Sundering Conversion Guide" and then pointed to the older material from there. This guide really seems like a waste of time and since they are still rather scarce in their releases, a waste of a slot for limited material.

I think Bilbo Baggins said it best: "Like butter scraped over too much bread."

I don't think this supplement has garnered the attention Wizards was hoping for.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I think the valid question to ask is, 'What's coming next?'

If in a year we get a Moonsea Adventurer's Guide, then it would seem like the strategy is not to publish one huge setting book, but publish a number of smaller setting books, extending the lifespan of the setting. And before you dismiss this as a stupid strategy, realize that the Neverwinter Campaign Setting was one of the best-received Fourth Edition setting books, despite covering just a sliver of the territory the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide covers, while the Silver Marches book for Third Edition was likewise very well received.

We can argue over whether the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide rises to the level of a 'regional setting book done well', but the concept seems sound. Whether or not WotC follows the concept is going to end up being the big question.

--
Pauper

GainVanquish

First Post
Just got mine will start reading tonight. However only been playing again for a year or so since starting again 20 odd years after my last adventure

discosoc

First Post
To me, it seems like book is targeting players, when what people were wanting and expecting was a book targeting the gm or setting in general. But yeah, it's really not a great product, and probably should have been released as a free PDF companion for an actual setting release.

discosoc

First Post
If in a year we get a Moonsea Adventurer's Guide, then it would seem like the strategy is not to publish one huge setting book, but publish a number of smaller setting books, extending the lifespan of the setting. And before you dismiss this as a stupid strategy, realize that the Neverwinter Campaign Setting was one of the best-received Fourth Edition setting books, despite covering just a sliver of the territory the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide covers, while the Silver Marches book for Third Edition was likewise very well received.

Except it's really not much of a setting book, regional or otherwise. It's got some overview type information about a very select few locations, but mostly just serves the same purpose as the 'players' section of past settings books.

hawkeyefan

Legend
So I have a question. I don't have my copy yet...I think it arrives later today, actually....but I'm a long time fan of FR.

For other long time fans of FR that are disappointed with the book...what was it that you were hoping for? More crunch? More definitive fluff? More areas covered? A combo of any/all of these?

I'm not too concerned about the mixed reviews as I had already read them by the time I ordered the book...so I kind of know what to expect and I'm fine with that. But I'm curious what should this book have done from others' points of view?

Corpsetaker

First Post
So I have a question. I don't have my copy yet...I think it arrives later today, actually....but I'm a long time fan of FR.

For other long time fans of FR that are disappointed with the book...what was it that you were hoping for? More crunch? More definitive fluff? More areas covered? A combo of any/all of these?

I'm not too concerned about the mixed reviews as I had already read them by the time I ordered the book...so I kind of know what to expect and I'm fine with that. But I'm curious what should this book have done from others' points of view?

I want to know more about the Sundering and an explanation for all the changes. All we have is basically the Sundering happened and here are the changes. There are no explanations for anything. I also want more lore and detail of the current comings and goings of certain kingdoms and areas. I mean we have several RSE's in a matter of 100 years and no clear explanation as to what has taken place.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Gotcha. For me, I'm pretty much ignoring the Spellplague and the Sundering. I had already bailed on 4E by the time the FR setting books came out.

Do the Sundering novels not go into that? I haven't read them, but au would have thought so.

discosoc

First Post

Needed a useful map of the area. There are two maps in the book (not including a few city maps and closeups of parts of the bigger map), neither of which has a distance scale. The one with locations actually marked has a chunk of the north sword cost right in the fold, and the font color/style kind of blends into the actual map itself everywhere else. All in all, it looks like a map designed to be pretty, but not functional.

Needed information related to what's changed since 4e, regarding the Spellplague and Sundering stuff. It talks about some of this, but most of the information is completely lacking. It seems more like they wanted to reboot FR a second time, including only enough information to get new players started with whatever AL campaigns are out, and call it a day.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Do the Sundering novels not go into that? I haven't read them, but au would have thought so.

I'm guessing they do -- I picked up "Fire in the Blood" to review the succession of Cormyr and how Foril's granddaughter Raedra ended up becoming Queen despite having a father and a brother ahead of her in the line of succession. That novel also planted some big hints about how Azuth returned to godhood while Asmodeus didn't end up losing his, which probably get resolved in a later novel.

Keep in mind, though, that the Sundering novels are six books, and the novel I mentioned above isn't technically one of them -- I'm guessing most gamers probably don't want to sift through a dozen or more novels to tease out setting details that they feel should be documented in a single massive campaign guide. I can't in good conscience say they're wrong; I can say that WotC might have a different delivery system in mind, though, for better or worse.

--
Pauper

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases