D&D 5E Manacled by Thieves' Tools

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I think a very high stress situation is a good reason to allow rerolls as well. One of the very fun encounters in my campaign involved the party being stuck down a dead end alley, with the town guards pouring in to kill them all.

The only escape method viable for them all to escape was to pick the lock of a door at the end of the alley. However the rogue kept on failing round after round. It took him 3 rounds to succeed (very unlucky dice) but I was able to narrate it as sweaty palms, getting knocked by his companions as they tried to protect him and just the stress of the situation.

Meanwhile his companions were trying to hold back the guards as he attempted to open the door. There was a cheer of relief when he eventually did open the door, the group were able to disengage and they fled through the door - still being chased, but no longer trapped.

I think the argument is a good one that in a lock picking/bar bending/manacle snapping type situation you shouldn't be able to try again unless - 1. Something changes, 2. It's a highly stressed situation, or 3. It makes sense narratively.

MrCrumley

First Post
This is an old thread, but I want to say I like the idea of allowing additional checks, but with consequence. In the case of lockpicking, the damaging of the tools and/ or increasing the difficulty of additional checks are good ideas. For manacles, perhaps the initial failed check badly bruised or cut the character so that any additional checks will be more difficult, possibly cause HP loss, and/or cause disadvantage on other actions.

Keep in mind that if there is no consequence for failure the roll shouldn't be made.

QFT.

I think this point needs to be tattoed on the forehead of every GM, backwards so they can read it in the mirror:

If there are no costs or consequence for failure then the GM should just say, "You succeed."

If each attempt costs a significant amount of time or money or other resource then calling for a roll might be appropriate to see how long the action took and how much it cost.

GM: You are using vials of acid to melt the bars? Good plan. Make a Dexterity check please, each point under 20 means one vial used.

GM: You are picking the lock in the middle of combat? Great, I'll get you to make a Dexterity (Thief's Tools) check each round until you succeed or give up and do something else.

GM: You've all sneaked in to the library and are searching the books for the information you need. Can I get an Intelligence (History) check please for each 10 minutes of searching, also I'll be rolling a random encounter with the guards for each 10 minutes.

The tattoo possibly needs to be followed by It's also OK to say no.

GM: The door is too solid, you can't break it down. No, you don't get to roll. Yes, I know you rolled a natural 20 but I just said you don't get a roll. You'll need another way through.

GM: The seneschal isn't going to let you see the king. Last time you were here you insulted everyone. This time you don't get in. No, your expertise in Persuasion isn't going to help. The senschal is not listening. You'll need to find another approach.

Last edited:

Yes Lord Mayor, I know necromancy is evil. But I know if I raise your Aunt from the dead we can get her to keep house for you. And cleaning is never evil...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases