D&D 5E Into the Dragon's Maw (OOC)

Thanks, [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6796086]Radaceus[/MENTION] for your comments. I will play Pell. While I very much like Iope and have been waiting to play her, I think the group needs a rogue more, and I'm intrigued by Pell. I've really only half-assed Pell, so I'll revisit him on Friday night and take another bite at the apple when I'm not as tired. Just as aside (but maybe an important one?), I don't draft characters with optimization in mind, nor do I play with optimization in mind. I recognize that optimizing is absolutely a legitimate play style, it just doesn't happen to be mine. And while I'm happy to participate in a game with fellow players who enjoy optimizing, I don't want anyone to be upset or disappointed when I don't. I could benefit from hearing you guys' thoughts on this, please.

That said, I'm really looking forward to playing with everyone, and to playing Pell.

Radaceus

Adventurer
Optimizing

[sblock=my take on optomizing:] it's character concept, and then roll stats, place stats accordingly. Most importantly for me is that the character makes sense. I dont choose races for optimization, I choose them for my concept. That being said, once I have a concept, and stats, I try to make the character as beneficial or playable as possible. I have already played the Coward, the Dolt, the 'untrustworthy' Pickpocket/'chaotic' Kender types, and having gotten those types of concepts out of the way, realise they dont work for me, or fit in most parties.

As far as the 'crazy suggestion' for the Giants Strength belt, it was just that, and definitely an optimization...I'd say that belt is one the most powerful choices available for us, the Staff of Power is also, and the Tomes ( +2 to max stat..possible 22 stat)

in the case of Ignis my wizard posted here, I had an idea for a Fire Genasi Elementalist/Evoker for some time, I wanted to push for a wizard who could stand his own in melee, blip in close, or blip away as case may be. I was reluctant to take the Staff of Power, but considering the one shot and well...when do you ever get the chance to play a wizard with a Staff of Power! That being said, I'd say I optimized him more than I stuck to any concept, as i only spent the one night putting him together. He looks pretty powerful on paper...

Doubt he would have came out like that if I played him from 1st level
[/sblock]

Mainly, I want to make sure you lot are accepting of non-optimized play. I want to make sure you're comfortable with adventuring with a diverse group of approaches. Thought I'd better clarify everyone's expectations now, before play begins.

Thanks. It sounds like there's room for non-optimized characters, at least in Radaceus's opinion. If someone else wants to weigh in, I'm all ears.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Mainly, I want to make sure you lot are accepting of non-optimized play. I want to make sure you're comfortable with adventuring with a diverse group of approaches. Thought I'd better clarify everyone's expectations now, before play begins.

Thanks. It sounds like there's room for non-optimized characters, at least in Radaceus's opinion. If someone else wants to weigh in, I'm all ears.

I certainly do no feel that my character is optimised so join in the fun I say! :)

mips42

Adventurer
Well, it says recruiting so... possibly interested if there is a spot.

Attachments

• Cade Thorngage.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Sezarious

Explorer
Hi mate. I might have to pull out on this one sorry. I think I've reached my limit, especially with the holiday season. I'll keep an eye on the game though!

Matthan

Explorer
Okay that brings us to four players with submitted characters. I'm willing to take six and planning on starting on Monday. You can still slip in at the last minute by just submitting a character. On the plus side, this may mean that I don't have to say no to anybody. That's nice.

I've adjusted Pell. Radaceus had Pell's hp at 81, and Matthan suggested 64. I think, however, as a 12th level Rogue with a Con of 12, he should be at 75. He'd have 9 hp at first level, then 6 hp for each of the next 11 levels. 6*11 = 66. 66+9 = 75. That was a straight-up math error on my part, induced by a fatigued brain.

Other than hp, the only error I see is the one Matthan mentioned, which is that I'd erred in taking the Bracers of Armor (which was a hasty selection on my part, made without fully reading the Bracers' description in the DMG). I've dropped the Bracers and replaced them with "Flick," a shortsword +2. [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION], I'd like to try out the two-weapon fighting rules (PHB 195). I've armed Pell with the shortsword +2 and a mundane shortsword in his off hand. My understanding after reading PHB 195 is that I don't have to take a feat to be able to dual wield, so long as both weapons are light and the character uses his Bonus Action for the second attack. A Strength-based Rogue with a Con of 12 and an AC of 15 going against a dragon is probably not going to end well for poor Pell, but I'm not too fussed about that. I'll enjoy playing him until he croaks when the dragon breathes fire or poison or claws or whatever on him. :D

Thanks! If anything else is amiss, please say and I'll amend further.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases