Which published Fate gam is most like Star Wars?.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have seen Ryan Danks unofficial SW hack (and it is good) but I was curious if any published Fate games as similar to SW.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not really, no, none of them are particularly similar.

I think you might actually make a fair go of it with Spirit of the Century - Star Wars has some solid roots in pulp - though you'd have to do a lot of work to do Force powers justice, while still having a game balanced enough to be generally attractive.

Vaslov

Explorer
Agree there is no great fit. I'll echo Umbran's suggestion of SotC as a decent starting place. I'll add to the list BirchNewman-StarblazerAdventures & NewtonBirch-LegendsOfAnglerre. You'll have to look those up on eBay or find an old copy sitting in a shop somewhere as they are no longer in print. All that said likely it will be easier to use FATE core and something like the old WEG SW core game to piece something together yourself.

V

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks guys. What does SotC have that other Fate games don't?

In short, some magic, but not too much.

Dresden Files has a larger magic system, but it is a bit *too* large - it is designed to handle full-on wizards who could produce pretty much *any* effect one can imagine. The system is built out so the spellcaster can improvise a wide number of new effects. That's a poor fit for Star Wars, in which the characters have a small number of effects, and they don't make up new ones on the fly.

Spirit of the Century allows for *some* magic, but the size and frequency of effects isn't game-breaking, so that a Han Solo style PC with a gun/blaster won't be completely overwhelmed.

Vaslov

Explorer
As mentioned above SotC has the same pulpy flavor that matches SW. For example the stuns for Intimidation have Aura of Menace, Fear and then Master of Fear. Sounds like stuns for a dark force user to me. Reskin the tech to space and you would be good to go for a low level force game. If you were looking to do a game based on the Force Unleashed games likely you would need do to a bit more work to beef up the magic system.

Hope that helps.

Remove ads