Luck Attribute?

zabom

First Post
I was just talking about this the other day with my group. We play D&D 3.5 modified with a few rules from 5.0. We came to the conclusion that any luck attribute would have to be an overall bonus to all rolls and as such would be OP as an attribute. Everyone would make that their highest attribute nullifying the need for such, while adding a need for the DM to raise DCs. It would also lower the importance of the other six attributes and trained skills. In the event that you need a straight luck roll, just use an unadjusted d20. If you want to make it more interesting, add the inspiration dice system from D&D 5.0.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In my game, I use a replenishable pool of luck dice which the players can use at-will (until they are gone). They add to attribute checks and the like, or deduct from enemy's checks.

zabom

First Post
In my game, I use a replenishable pool of luck dice which the players can use at-will (until they are gone). They add to attribute checks and the like, or deduct from enemy's checks.
I like that. I was thinking of just giving players 2 d6 per day luck dice and see how that plays out.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
I was just talking about this the other day with my group. We play D&D 3.5 modified with a few rules from 5.0. We came to the conclusion that any luck attribute would have to be an overall bonus to all rolls and as such would be OP as an attribute. Everyone would make that their highest attribute nullifying the need for such, while adding a need for the DM to raise DCs. It would also lower the importance of the other six attributes and trained skills. In the event that you need a straight luck roll, just use an unadjusted d20. If you want to make it more interesting, add the inspiration dice system from D&D 5.0.
Hmm what about a reroll based Luck pool, rather than adding a static modifier, that way you dont need to adjust DCs?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher

Ahh that deduction from an enemy roll is an interesting twist! Reminds me of the 5e bard ability (forget the name of it!)

zabom

First Post
Hmm what about a reroll based Luck pool, rather than adding a static modifier, that way you dont need to adjust DCs?
That is definitely better, but I am intrigued by what Morrus said. The luck modifier based on the same formula for the other attributes, (Atribute-10) / 2 rounded down could be the number of daily luck dice your player gets. That would allow for a "not everyone is equal in luck" system without making it overly important.

religon

First Post
I use a path-system with B/X… essentially at 4th level the character class allows specialization like 2nd Edition kits. Luck is a path available to thieves rather than an attribute. Re-roll once per play session so long as it is not a life-or-death roll. Also +20% for games of chance or other non-combat tests that depends on luck. As an attribute, I think it would overwhelm the game.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
I use a path-system with B/X… essentially at 4th level the character class allows specialization like 2nd Edition kits. Luck is a path available to thieves rather than an attribute. Re-roll once per play session so long as it is not a life-or-death roll. Also +20% for games of chance or other non-combat tests that depends on luck. As an attribute, I think it would overwhelm the game.

Yes I can definitely see it working as an aspect of the thief, thanks for your thoughts!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases