Urban Horror In A Corrupt City: A Setting & Adventure Path for 5E, Pathfinder, and S&W

Frog God Games has sent along an enormous ten-page preview of The Blight: Richard Pett's Crooked City. For D&D 5E, Pathfinder, and Swords & Wizardry, this book details a decadent and corrupt city. Richard Pett created Dungeon Magazine's The Styes, worked on Paizo's adventure paths, and originally created this city for Pathfinder. A Swords & Wizardry conversion followed, and now a 5E version is coming! This enormous 900-page book contains a poster map, a full guide to the city (with new classes, player options, races, and 13 city districts) plus an entire urban horror adventure path called Levee, "set within the rotten and degenerate urban confines of the city, where the PCs must scratch and claw their way to survival starting at 1st level and continuing through 9 adventures all the way to 10th level and above."

Frog God Games has sent along an enormous ten-page preview of The Blight: Richard Pett's Crooked City. For D&D 5E, Pathfinder, and Swords & Wizardry, this book details a decadent and corrupt city. Richard Pett created Dungeon Magazine's The Styes, worked on Paizo's adventure paths, and originally created this city for Pathfinder. A Swords & Wizardry conversion followed, and now a 5E version is coming! This enormous 900-page book contains a poster map, a full guide to the city (with new classes, player options, races, and 13 city districts) plus an entire urban horror adventure path called Levee, "set within the rotten and degenerate urban confines of the city, where the PCs must scratch and claw their way to survival starting at 1st level and continuing through 9 adventures all the way to 10th level and above."

Below is the D&D 5E version of the ten-page preview. When you've finished looking at that, head on over to the Kickstarter and back it! It has 13 days to go and is two-thirds funded. It's $50 for the PDF or $135 for the hardcover, but for that you get 900 pages of setting and adventure path, which is a big, big book - bigger than Monte Cook's Ptolus: City By The Spire, bigger than the War of the Burning Sky compiled adventure path, bigger than Hero System 5th Edition Revised, bigger than Tome of Horrors Complete and Rappan Athuk, bigger than Talislanta 4E, and nearly as big as The Slumbering Tsar (which edges it out at 937 pages).

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.14.58.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.15.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.16.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.17.05.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.17.50.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.18.25.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.19.09.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.19.44.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.20.09.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.20.46.png

techno

Explorer
I need to clarify if I pledge for a physical copy if I can swap out the included pdf for the 5E version or if I have to step up my pledge to do so.

Someone (I can't remember who) from FGG already said this was possible. Also, last night, I got my PDF rewards from their previous Kickstarter: Borderland Providences and I was able to select a PF hardback and a 5e PDF (I play both systems). Worked great.

To be honest I would rather they done a separate 5E Kickstarter in the future. As it is now they will use 5E pledges to help fund it but only offer a 5E PDF. I am sure the PDF will be available on their website in the future so that alone does not provide a huge motivation to pledge either.

I'm hoping that future Kickstarters from Frog God use the format Ultimate NPCS: Skulduggery is using in which you get a separate line election for each edition, including 5E. Right now Frog God wants to see if there's 5E support....and there will be, but you need to make it clear and promote it. I will back any Kickstarter with a clear "click here to pledge for a print+PDF 5E edition" button on it. Otherwise I'll wait and see if the physical book shows up on their website. I would have kept my pledge for Borderlands as well for this reason.....but if the Kickstarter is too vague or conditional to certain goals then I feel it's safer to wait and see what actually comes out of it in the end.

To be honest I would rather they done a separate 5E Kickstarter in the future. As it is now they will use 5E pledges to help fund it but only offer a 5E PDF. I am sure the PDF will be available on their website in the future so that alone does not provide a huge motivation to pledge either.

Totally agree. One of the reasons their approach is not good and shouldn't be supported by 5E fans is that it suggests that the 5E edition may not be much more than a reluctant afterthought....I'd much rather have a Kickstarter where the 5E version appears to be getting as much attention and effort as the other versions. Right now I sort of feel like this Kickstarter (and the Borderlands KS) are both tacking on 5E as a sort of "well, if you really want it...." sort of reluctant inclusion. I know Frog God can do right by the system, and I use their prior 5E books every week, so I am disappointed that they've taken such an odd approach to the system ever since.....leaving me to suspect that 5E is not a "preferred edition" at the Frog God camp, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthan

Explorer
Totally agree. One of the reasons their approach is not good and shouldn't be supported by 5E fans is that it suggests that the 5E edition may not be much more than a reluctant afterthought....I'd much rather have a Kickstarter where the 5E version appears to be getting as much attention and effort as the other versions. Right now I sort of feel like this Kickstarter (and the Borderlands KS) are both tacking on 5E as a sort of "well, if you really want it...." sort of reluctant inclusion. I know Frog God can do right by the system, and I use their prior 5E books every week, so I am disappointed that they've taken such an odd approach to the system ever since.....leaving me to suspect that 5E is not a "preferred edition" at the Frog God camp, unfortunately.

I had this same thought (and voiced it) when this KS began. The folks at FGG did a lot to ease my concerns in that regard. If you have a moment, look up the earlier thread talking about this project in the D&D 5E forum to read their responses. Essentially, this project was in the works long enough ago that 5E was not a reality. They seem to be working hard to bring 5E into their product line, and they have stated that their next kickstarter for Bard's Gate has been planned for 5E from the beginning.

techno

Explorer
...leaving me to suspect that 5E is not a "preferred edition" at the Frog God camp, unfortunately.
The Frogs have different preferred games (I remember at least one staff member saying that 5e was his preferred edition) and expertise with different systems. Richard Pett wrote this adventure for Pathfinder and it is being converted to both SW and 5e. The 5e version came about after people begged for it. Frog God wasn't sure how much interest there would be in a 3PP 900-page 5e adventure (they worried this was unproven in the marketplace). They know their PF and SW markets well and how many large, expensive books like this one to print for those audiences, but 5e is new territory for books this large and a mistake (such as massively overprinting) could spell doom for such a small company. There may have been a better way to approach this, but I feel like Frog God is trying their best to be responsive and adaptive without placing their business at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noctem

Explorer
I completely understand that. I'm still sitting at the pdf level myself. I need to clarify if I pledge for a physical copy if I can swap out the included pdf for the 5E version or if I have to step up my pledge to do so. Hopefully, they'll hit the stretch goal and it won't be a question.

I would encourage you (and anyone else in your situation) to star the KS so you get a reminder when its close to ending so you can check to see if the stretch goal has been hit.

If I do decide to pledge now, without the guarantee that the 5e hardcover will become available, will I be able to back out should that stretch goal fail to be met later?

And although it does feel like 5e was omitted, maybe on purpose because they weren't sure of the appeal, the NPC kickstarter is a much better format! So progress :)

Matthan

Explorer
If I do decide to pledge now, without the guarantee that the 5e hardcover will become available, will I be able to back out should that stretch goal fail to be met later?

You can adjust pledges in Kickstarter including completely zeroing it out after pledging. You have to adjust your pledge before the end of the Kickstarter though. Once it ends, the funds will be collected.

techno

Explorer
Yes. You can cancel your Kickstarter pledge at any time without penalty before the campaign ends.

Remove ads

Remove ads