Urban Horror In A Corrupt City: A Setting & Adventure Path for 5E, Pathfinder, and S&W

Frog God Games has sent along an enormous ten-page preview of The Blight: Richard Pett's Crooked City. For D&D 5E, Pathfinder, and Swords & Wizardry, this book details a decadent and corrupt city. Richard Pett created Dungeon Magazine's The Styes, worked on Paizo's adventure paths, and originally created this city for Pathfinder. A Swords & Wizardry conversion followed, and now a 5E version is coming! This enormous 900-page book contains a poster map, a full guide to the city (with new classes, player options, races, and 13 city districts) plus an entire urban horror adventure path called Levee, "set within the rotten and degenerate urban confines of the city, where the PCs must scratch and claw their way to survival starting at 1st level and continuing through 9 adventures all the way to 10th level and above."

Frog God Games has sent along an enormous ten-page preview of The Blight: Richard Pett's Crooked City. For D&D 5E, Pathfinder, and Swords & Wizardry, this book details a decadent and corrupt city. Richard Pett created Dungeon Magazine's The Styes, worked on Paizo's adventure paths, and originally created this city for Pathfinder. A Swords & Wizardry conversion followed, and now a 5E version is coming! This enormous 900-page book contains a poster map, a full guide to the city (with new classes, player options, races, and 13 city districts) plus an entire urban horror adventure path called Levee, "set within the rotten and degenerate urban confines of the city, where the PCs must scratch and claw their way to survival starting at 1st level and continuing through 9 adventures all the way to 10th level and above."

Below is the D&D 5E version of the ten-page preview. When you've finished looking at that, head on over to the Kickstarter and back it! It has 13 days to go and is two-thirds funded. It's $50 for the PDF or $135 for the hardcover, but for that you get 900 pages of setting and adventure path, which is a big, big book - bigger than Monte Cook's Ptolus: City By The Spire, bigger than the War of the Burning Sky compiled adventure path, bigger than Hero System 5th Edition Revised, bigger than Tome of Horrors Complete and Rappan Athuk, bigger than Talislanta 4E, and nearly as big as The Slumbering Tsar (which edges it out at 937 pages).

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.14.58.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.15.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.16.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.17.05.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.17.50.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.18.25.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.19.09.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.19.44.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.20.09.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.20.46.png

techno

Explorer
Guys you should pledge based on what you want. If everyone who wants a 5E book just doesn't pledge or only pledges for the PDF then the chances of hitting the 100K mark are a lot lower. You should pledge for the book and at the last day it doesn't look like it's going to make it then drop your pledge down. This is what I'm doing.

Even better idea.

Matthan

Explorer
As a matter of putting my money where my mouth is, I've upped my pledge to a physical copy. For anyone on the fence, this project has had a lot of previews. Give them a read. I think they'll talk you off the fence and into a pledge.

rich pett

First Post
Thanks Desh, thanks Matthan and thank you everyone for coming to have a look.

I'd love to have the Blight make it to 5e print, please do come over to the kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s-the-blight-richard-petts-crooked-ci/updates and have a look through the updates. I've been posting every day for the past two or three weeks and will continue to do so, the updates cover a few aspects of what we're producing and should give you a good feel if it's for you or not. If you like your fantasy dark and gritty then it might well be for you, and just to be clear I'm hoping to run with the Blight as an ongoing setting, if it pledges and there's interest then I'll keep setting adventures and APs there, for me that's where the place becomes much more than a nice useful shiny new book.

Rich

Charles Wright

First Post
Totally agree. One of the reasons their approach is not good and shouldn't be supported by 5E fans is that it suggests that the 5E edition may not be much more than a reluctant afterthought....I'd much rather have a Kickstarter where the 5E version appears to be getting as much attention and effort as the other versions. Right now I sort of feel like this Kickstarter (and the Borderlands KS) are both tacking on 5E as a sort of "well, if you really want it...." sort of reluctant inclusion. I know Frog God can do right by the system, and I use their prior 5E books every week, so I am disappointed that they've taken such an odd approach to the system ever since.....leaving me to suspect that 5E is not a "preferred edition" at the Frog God camp, unfortunately.

Borderlands Provinces was always meant to be for 5E as well as the other two lines.

In fact, Adventures in the Borderland Provinces was initially writing in the 5E format and converted to Pathfinder and Swords & Wizardry.

The Blight started its development cycle at least 2 years ago when 5E wasn't even an option. We decided to do try and do a 5e version of The Blight because so many fans were asking for it.

We want to do a 5E version of this book. We have a dedicated team of converters set to work on a 5E version of this book. I personally want a 5E version of The Blight on my bookshelf (I'm the AD and layout guy for FGG).

This isn't about preferred editions. We aren't a huge company and a misstep on something this big has the potential to shut us down with too much debt.

It's not an "Oh well, if you really want it . . ." it's more of an "Oh wow! They really want us to do it!"

Greg V

First Post
What Chuck said! In spades. Not an afterthought by any stretch of the imagination...more of an unexpected invitation. We just haven't had any marketing data on campaign books and APs for 5e that aren't WotC. The people spoke and we committed to a pdf version (which is not free for us to produce by the way), but a print book is a SUBSTANTIAL cost increase for us, and quite frankly more of one than we can absorb. So we have to fund the initial goal first to get the book made at all (including the 5e pdf version) and then create a stretch goal for the 5e physical copy.

Pledge levels can't be edited once a KS is launched, and none of our pledge levels are keyed to a specific version. That is all indicated in the survey at the end of the campaign. So we've added the info to the KS but haven't been able to change the specific pledge levels, and adding a pledge level makes no sense because none of them are keyed to a specific version anyway. As long as the campaign funds, there WILL be a 5e pdf. We are committed to that. If we hit 100k there WILL be a 5e physical copy. But we have to hit 75k first.

That's the reason we had encouraged 5e fans to only back at the pdf level until we at least reached the 75k goal. We didn't want to make our goal on the backs of fans who might not receive the product they were actually wanting and we also didn't want people to drop their pledge at the end and cause us to miss the funding goal altogether. I was unaware of the info Desh-Rae-Halra provided above, though. Regardless, we don't want to fund our campaign by false pretenses to 5e fans. If you'd like to see The Blight in a 5e version regardless or format, then pledge for our pdf level. If you'd like to see The Blight in 5e but only if its a hardcover, then pledge for our pdf or hardcover and then drop your pledge at the end if it isn't going to make the stretch goal. But if you'd like to see The Blight in 5e regardless of format but also want it in print regardless, then pledge for a hardcover and in the survey request the 5e pdf and a different version of the book if the stretch goal doesn't make. We don't want anyone to pledge for or pay for something they don't want. And we definitely want to make 5e a regular part of our production. So let us know what you want. :)

Greg
Frog God Games

Borderlands Provinces was always meant to be for 5E as well as the other two lines.

In fact, Adventures in the Borderland Provinces was initially writing in the 5E format and converted to Pathfinder and Swords & Wizardry.

The Blight started its development cycle at least 2 years ago when 5E wasn't even an option. We decided to do try and do a 5e version of The Blight because so many fans were asking for it.

We want to do a 5E version of this book. We have a dedicated team of converters set to work on a 5E version of this book. I personally want a 5E version of The Blight on my bookshelf (I'm the AD and layout guy for FGG).

This isn't about preferred editions. We aren't a huge company and a misstep on something this big has the potential to shut us down with too much debt.

It's not an "Oh well, if you really want it . . ." it's more of an "Oh wow! They really want us to do it!"

I hear what you are saying but believe as a supporter of 5E the way it is set up kind of shortchanges any chance of a print version for 5E. A separate KS for 5E would have been better. As it stands now many 5E pledges will likely help get you to the 75000 to make the print books for the other systems and then to have to come up with another 25000 to get 5E print when 5E pledges helped get to the 75000 in the first place seems kind of crappy. I get the math but this is why I think a separate 5E KS would have been more fair.

qu0zl

First Post
I'm supporting it for 5e, and from my point of view I'm glad that they've kept it as a single kick-starter. Though I would be happy with a Swords & Wizardry hard-back and the 5e PDF, so it's kind of a win-win for me.

I don't like reading anything as PDF - I spend too much time looking at computer screens for a living. So I'll read it in hard-back, hopefully 5e, if not then S&W, and I'll run the encounters at the table from the PDF.

Well, that is if I find the time to run this one too! I'm mostly buying it to read it, because the updates are fantastic, the city looks so interesting and unique and everything the Frogs produce is of at least good and usually superb quality. With luck I'll be able to shepherd my players to visit it for a while anyway. I doubt I have time to run another campaign purely in the Blight, much as I'd like to.

Greg V

First Post
For those still on the fence about this book, it's author Richard Pett has been posting daily updates with reveals of different parts of the content over at the KS website for the past couple weeks and will continue to do so right up until the end. So if you're really not sure if this is what you're looking for, in addition to the 10-page preview we've provided here you can find many times that number of pages of pre-released info in the Kickstarter page's updates. Come on over and take a look...we dare you. ;-)

Luz

Explorer
Consider me dared, I pledged for the hardcover. I've run Pett"s work since The Styes first appeared in Dungeon Mag and then later his PF material and my group always had a great time. Now that we"ve moved on to 5e, his work has been sorely missed at our gaming table. To see The Blight as a published hardcover for 5e rules would be truly fantastic.

rich pett

First Post
Bravo Luz, and thank you for your faith. Please spread the word on any 5e sites you visit, I'd be really, really happy to have a whole new group of players to torment:) That goes for all you fine posters here, please keep shouting if you would be so kind.

Rich

Remove ads

Remove ads