D&D 5E 5e .

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
...Simple solution, play Pathfinder instead. Its a lot less creaky.

Distilled to the essential point. 5e is not Pathfinder. People who want to play Pathfinder can play Pathfinder.

And you don't need Mage Armor. Plenty of players have found a way to play the Wizard as written.

Horwath

Legend
You know you have rituals and utility spells. Leave the damage at low levels to someone else.

sleep affects 5d8 worth of HP at first level. That is 22 on average. No save.

and Alarm, identify and detect magic are rituals that you always can have in spellbook and not prepared like other classes.

On more serious note, I give you 4/10 for trolling :D

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Completely agree. How the hell did this even go to print? They are massively under-power. My first go with a wizard went like this: x2 1st level spells, one has to be mage armor so I'm down to 1. First combat, the monk gets 2 attacks a round, I fire off a cantrip but still have to roll to hit. How am I anywhere near as good as 2 attacks a round? Later, the druid fires off Thuderwave doing 2d8 as an area of effect spell. WTF I thought I was supposed to do all the magic!? Then I look in the book. At 3rd level I will have 6 spells but then so does a druid, and he can fight too whereas I'm hiding at the back. Sorry, I forgot that wizards have 5 spells because you have to cast mage armor. It would be fairer if it went like this, because half my first level spells are gone on defense, anyone else wearing armor should only be able to attack on evenly numbered rounds, so they should be halved for wearing armor too, right?

Using the same dice rolls that I got for the wizard, I've made a fighter, 1st level, human variant and taken Dual Wield as a feat and two weapon fighting as a feature. He can now do 2 attacks a round, wield 2 medium weapons; I had one roll of 18 and pumped his strength up to 20; if he hits twice he does 2D8+10. That's round after round after round. How is that in anyway equal to the wizard that I made?

Ok, these are the rules that were somehow missing from the book. Use these and some people might actually want to be a Wizard.1) Mage Armor is a ritual spell.2) You get +1 first level spell.3) All wizards start with find familiar in their spell book; this does not count as one of your choice of 6 spells.4) Find familiar doesn't use charcoal, it uses a semi-precious stone worth 10gp that is not destroyed when casting the spell.5) The scholar's backpack has a semi-precious stone in it that you can use to cast Find Familiar.6) At 2nd level the wizard joins the school of evocation. He/she then chooses a second school to join.7) Wizards add their Spell Attack Bonus to all damage spells. This makes Burning Hands way more powerful than the druids Thunderwave and is roughly equal to the monk getting 2 attacks per round, every round, again and again.I've played 5e once and already its fallen to pieces.

Like I said at the start, how the hell did this go to print? Simple solution, play Pathfinder instead. Its a lot less creaky.

You completely agree with yourself? That's good to hear! :)

Also, a few points.

1) You don't have to cast mage armor. Mage armor is good, but certainly not required. Just stand in the back! Take shield on the off chance you do get targeted! Or, if defense is really necessary for your game, be a mountain dwarf or an abjurer or multiclass to grab some armor proficiences. And if you do die, at least you don't have to be a wizard anymore, so win-win!

2) The druid is a caster too, why don't they get to do magic? I mean, no books here, but I'm pretty sure wizards get Thunderwave too. Wizards sacrifice some personal survivability to have access to the broadest set of spells in the game.

3) Don't try to do balance comparisons with rolled stats. It just doesn't work. Not to say you can't play with rolled stats, but you're stating up front that balance is not your primary concern if you do.

4) Martial classes in general do more at will damage than casters. It's pretty much their thing. Even an action surged fighter at 5th level can't compare to dropping a fireball on 8 guys at once. Casters wreck face by identifying weaknesses and exploiting them.

5) You do know everyone can get 2 attacks, every round, right? It's called dual wielding. Monks can get even more by expending ki, but that's a limited resource.

6) If you're used to Pathfinder, any other iteration of a wizard class is going to feel weak in comparison. :)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Welcome to a world where Wizards are no longer such indisputable powerhouses that the rest of the game bends over backwards at their whim.

You're still playing a class that can cast spells: that is, a class with abilities no other class can approach, unless they use the same underlying mechanics. The Wizard's not a demigod anymore, but it's still a giant among men.

It also sounds like you might be forgetting Arcane Recovery? At 3rd level, that gives you 2 bonus spell levels, so you can recover either one 2nd-level spell or two 1st-level spells--giving you more spell slots than any other caster (though a Sorc can blow 2 of her 3 Sorcery Points to recover one 1st-level spell, so it's...close, I guess?)

TROLL loose in da HOUSE!

"Thought you ought to know..."

akr71

Hero
The mage in my group constantly forgets to cast mage armor and she does all right. Yes, she still hangs in the back..

Choose to be an elf mage for the weapon training, so you can shoot arrows after your spells are gone or a dwarf for the Con bonus and the beefy weapon proficiency. Or as a variant human, take the lightly armored feat and wear studded leather armor - that will put you only one AC point behind mage armor

Besides all that, level 1 and 2 pass by very quickly - most folks consider them 'apprentice levels' that can be skipped. Perhaps your DM can send the party on a few simple fetch quests to get you there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases