D&D 5E 5e .

I remember walking fifteen miles in the snow, both ways, uphill, just so that I could play a first level magic user with 2 hit points, a 9 AC, and a dagger.

I'd cast my magic missile, then I'd hide until the next day.

Those 5e Wizards are so underpowered.

This...so much this...

Noctem

Explorer
I remember walking fifteen miles in the snow, both ways, uphill, just so that I could play a first level magic user with 2 hit points, a 9 AC, and a dagger.

Amazing.

akr71

Hero

This...so much this...

Don't forget that you needed a whopping 2500XP to reach level 2 just so you could have 2 first level spells/day and no cantrips!

True_Blue

First Post
In the game I DM for, I helped the wizard out by doing this:

1) Cantrips get to add half Int mod to damage

2) Found a Magic Missile wand right away at first level

3) Finds lots of scrolls on defeated enemies, constantly has 3-5 scrolls on her person at a time.

The extra cantrip damage helps her do a little more damage to be helpful, but she doesn't outshine anyone in single creature damage. The Magic Missile wand gives her another choice to use semi-regularly instead of just using a cantrip. With many different scrolls being provided, she can fire off several different spells an encounter which makes her character more fun because she isn't just spamming atwills and also has a few more choices available to her depending upon the spells. Also, scrolls help her to increase diversity and try out spells she wouldn't normally use to see if she likes them.

jgsugden

Legend
WIZARDS NEED NO HELP.

1.) Select a lot of rituals at level 1 so that you can cast them over and over.

2.) The best defense for a low level wizard is not mage armor - it is standing behind the fighters.

3.) You're underpowered at low levels, but are amongst the most powerful at high levels. Once you hit 5th level and get fireball, you'll feel pretty darn solid. Being underpowered at low levels and then a beast at high levels is part of the historical feel of the wizard / magic - user that was lost in 4E.

My wizard has been a solid contributor to the party since day one. He isn't the damage king, but his spells turned key battles. He also provides a lot of magic support through cantrips and rituals that allow the PCs to do things that would otherwise be impossible outside combat. If you're not effective as a wizard, it is because you're not playing them as SMART pcs.

Remove ads