D&D 5E 5e .

akr71

Hero
Magic Missile is nice, but have you read Chromatic Orb? 3d8 damage for a first level spell! Yes, you have to make a ranged spell attack, but 3d8 damage for a first level spell and you choose the damage type!

hejtmane

Explorer
WIZARDS NEED NO HELP.

1.) Select a lot of rituals at level 1 so that you can cast them over and over.

2.) The best defense for a low level wizard is not mage armor - it is standing behind the fighters.

3.) You're underpowered at low levels, but are amongst the most powerful at high levels. Once you hit 5th level and get fireball, you'll feel pretty darn solid. Being underpowered at low levels and then a beast at high levels is part of the historical feel of the wizard / magic - user that was lost in 4E.

My wizard has been a solid contributor to the party since day one. He isn't the damage king, but his spells turned key battles. He also provides a lot of magic support through cantrips and rituals that allow the PCs to do things that would otherwise be impossible outside combat. If you're not effective as a wizard, it is because you're not playing them as SMART pcs.

Then lets add in Divination where you can replace two dice rolls on you or the enemy or evocation where you can shape your aoe not to harm your buddy's which allow you to drop a nuke at will in any situation.

Sucks to be a wizard

pdegan2814

First Post

hejtmane

Explorer
Pretty sure this doesn't work. Shocking Grasp's range is "touch", not "5 feet". Crawford was specifically asked about Spell Sniper and touch spells back in June, and his response was "The first benefit of Spell Sniper is intended to double numerical ranges only."

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/25/spell-sniper-and-touch-spells/

Think he is referring to Distant spell on sorcerer which per the phb pg102

DISTANT SPELL
When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell.
When you cast a spell that has a range of touch,you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 30 feet.

bleezy

First Post
I'm not sure if this is troll or not, but this is without a doubt the most powerful a 1st level wizard has been in the history of D&D.

AD&D mage wasn't that bad either- his armor spell would last for days or weeks and he could put 2d4 HD to sleep- but then he couldn't make any attacks, detect magic, etc. However, sleep wasn't effective against undead and various other creatures. Niether was color spray. Without those two spells the 1st level AD&D mage was completely useless.

Awesome Adam

First Post
I remember walking fifteen miles in the snow, both ways, uphill, just so that I could play a first level magic user with 2 hit points, a 9 AC, and a dagger.

I'd cast my magic missile, then I'd hide until the next day.

I was sold the moment I saw at will cantrips. It's like having unlimited uses of a handfull of 2nd edition 1st level spells.

"So wait let me get this right, D6 hit points, and at first level I get to cast mage armor, which lasts 8 hours, get to throw 1d10 damage fire attacks every round, unlimited prestidigitation, and mage hand at will ?"

It's actually a considerable buff, from their humble origins.

pdegan2814

First Post
Think he is referring to Distant spell on sorcerer which per the phb pg102

DISTANT SPELL
When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell.
When you cast a spell that has a range of touch,you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 30 feet.

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean that's what Crawford was referring to? Because Crawford very explicitly refers to Spell Sniper in his response. If you mean to say you think that's what Jester-so-and-so was referring to, that doesn't really make much sense. Why would he be referring to a Sorcerer's metamagic ability in a thread about Wizards, and in a response where he was discussing what feats to take? And even if that's what he was referring to, he was off on the range by a good 20 feet. :)

empireofchaos

First Post
Magic Missile is nice, but have you read Chromatic Orb? 3d8 damage for a first level spell! Yes, you have to make a ranged spell attack, but 3d8 damage for a first level spell and you choose the damage type!

Yeah, but you need a 50 gp gem as a material component every time you cast it.

? Simple solution, play Pathfinder instead.

That's true. If you want the caster edition, Pathfinder is your go to. When 4E reigned in casters from the insanity of 3E, Pathfinder was the newly divorced dad desperate for attention. We're talking "no curfew, pizza every night, and did I mention we just got the Playboy channel?" desperate in giving even more crap to a generation of spoiled casters.

Thank goodness they toned down fighter feats though!

Remove ads