D&D 5E 5e .

devincutler

Explorer
Ah. I stand corrected - old-school assumption about material components. But still, the component cost limits use when starting play, especially if you are using the starting class packages, since you are more likely to pick spells you can use right off the bat, and then still find a way to get the 50 gp.

How does a wizard not have 50 gp for a gem at 1st level? What else are they sending their starting gold on? Armour? Weapons?

Endur

First Post
5e wizards are the most powerful wizards D&D has seen yet (not counting splat books).

d6 hit points instead of d4.

quarter staff can be used in one hand.

Can wear heavy armor with no chance of spell failure (with proficiency and sufficient strength).

spell components simplified significantly.

Ritual magic= can be used unlimited per day if the spells are in your spell book

Preparing spells and spell slots is more flexible than wizards have ever had before.

Cantrips can be used every round to do damage.

You can specialize in a school without having opposition schools.

etc.

empireofchaos

First Post
The OP thinks wizards suck? Don't show him the beastmaster ranger.

:D I kid! I kid!

Or, more to the point, the anything sorcerer - they definitely won't be taking Chromatic Orb as one of their two spells (unless they want to risk rolling for $$ and not taking the starting package).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I never start at level 1 or 2 in 5e. If we ever want to play farmers and apprentice pig keepers who get caught up in an adventure and become heroes, sure. Level 1. Otherwise, level 3 is level 1 for my group.

That being said, wizards wreck faces all day. I play a wizard, I only take one or two damage spells, because you can just dominate the whole field fairly early on with control spells.

Pretty sure this doesn't work. Shocking Grasp's range is "touch", not "5 feet". Crawford was specifically asked about Spell Sniper and touch spells back in June, and his response was "The first benefit of Spell Sniper is intended to double numerical ranges only."

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/25/spell-sniper-and-touch-spells/

You're right. Haven't played a wizard or seen that spell in play, and I was misremembering the spell, likely based on old rules from a playtest document...

S

Sunseeker

OP you really ought to tell that to the 6 wizards I've played with. I've had at least one in every game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases