D&D 5E 5e .

bleezy

First Post
For a while I couldn't figure out if this was a troll, but now I know for sure.

He says "5e" wizards are unplayable, not "D&D" wizards, even though he is comparing the game to Pathfinder. I'll bet he's played earlier D&D wizards.

QED

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've played 5e once and already its fallen to pieces.
This sentence, plus your post count, suggest that you are WAY hasty in drawing conclusions.

My Tiamat group includes a Wiz12. He is the only character still surviving from Day One.
Yes, I did just say our Wizard's player is the only person who has not had to create a new character. (Despite my best efforts - I'm the DM.)

Dit464

First Post
My Tiamat group includes a Wiz12. He is the only character still surviving from Day One.
Yes, I did just say our Wizard's player is the only person who has not had to create a new character. (Despite my best efforts - I'm the DM.)

I sincerely applaud that wizard for staying alive as long as he has. Then again they do sit back the most, but that's if circumstance doesn't murder him off.

I agree with everyone other than the OP, 5e Wizards feel like they are sitting in a decent enough place, just because your pretty much gonna choose a dagger or a quarterstaff and don't have armor (immediately) doesn't mean you can't stay alive or do enough dmg to help in a fight, The wizard in our party is an illusionist, he's going almost full utility and he still contributes a lot to most of the fights.

Last edited:

5) You do know everyone can get 2 attacks, every round, right? It's called dual wielding. Monks can get even more by expending ki, but that's a limited resource.

Now I want to see someone make a dual-scimitar-wielding wizard at level 1. Sure, he won't get his +2 proficiency bonus, but at low level that hardly matters. (He can switch to dual daggers against foes where he really needs that +2.)

DeanP

Explorer
A High Elven wizard looks pretty good at first level, in addition to the staple elven traits, you've a higher intelligence, you're proficient with two types of swords, two types of bows and you've an extra cantrip. That's a total of 4 cantrips to choose from, two first level spell slots to work with, the ability to use arcane recovery for a first level spell slot recovery, access to rituals immediately; and some martial weapons. Not bad at all. Considering you only need 300 xp for second level, that's well balanced to keep the game entertaining and complement the other characters in the group.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Now I want to see someone make a dual-scimitar-wielding wizard at level 1. Sure, he won't get his +2 proficiency bonus, but at low level that hardly matters. (He can switch to dual daggers against foes where he really needs that +2.)
As long as he's drow. I'd play Drizzt do'Gandalf.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
And the OP deleted his post and crippled the thread title. Luckily, his post was quoted entirely in post 4 or 5, so it's still there for posterity.

And the OP deleted his post and crippled the thread title. Luckily, his post was quoted entirely in post 4 or 5, so it's still there for posterity.

I found the complete quote in post #6, but yes, it's all still there. Hopefully he'll take his own advice (from the last line of his little rant) and go back to playing Pathfinder, with the obvious corollary being that he'll also go back to posting on Pathfinder forums instead of this one. Wonderful idea.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Is Dwarven Wizard with that juicy Med Armor prof still on the table?

And don't Wizards get d6 HP to start now?

And can't wizards 'prep' more than two spells at 1st level?

Also, my 1e wizards used Darts so they could throw 3 a round.

Remove ads