Old: Magic confusion

I am confused.. and so are my players.
The starter booklet has characters with spell paths and says to read the OLD character generation to learn how to gain spell paths.

The most recent OLD playtest book 1 that I have references spell paths.

The 'new' OLD character generation page 18 under the Magic attribute references 'spell paths'.
In the Traditions the magical traditions reference gaining secrets.

On page 33 in the side bar about magic it referenced the use of magical skills and secrets.

It would be really nice to have a copy of the current rules on magic...

Also. melee weapon damage. In a recent post you mention that weapon damage does not add to base damage, but does not go below.
So a hulk with 4 dice in STR wielding a rapier {1D} deals 4D due to strength? So basically higher STR characters don't care about weapon selection?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Don't pay attention to any old playtest documents. The actual final character creation book has been published (WOIN Fantasy Careers). The current rules on magic are on the website.

The spell paths idea was used during playtesting but eventually wasn't used. I may well revisit it for a supplement detailing an alternate spell system one day though.

You don't get 4d6 damage from having a 4d6 STR dice pool. Natural damage is based off your size, not your STR. To get 4d6 base natural damage you'd need to be size Colossal, like a dragon or something. At that point, no, picking up a teeny rapier wouldn't benefit you at all. It'd be like holding a pin.

Last edited:

Okay, will dig through the website for the magic rules.

On the character generation worksheet from your website, page 2 reads:

NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6 + 1d6 for each size over Medium; Felans +1d6; +STR dice pool

which I misinterpreted as adding the dice of the dice pool, not the count of the dice in the dice pool.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay, will dig through the website for the magic rules.

On the character generation worksheet from your website, page 2 reads:

NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6 + 1d6 for each size over Medium; Felans +1d6; +STR dice pool

which I misinterpreted as adding the dice of the dice pool, not the count of the dice in the dice pool.

That worksheet just has a shorthand reminder on it. You should read the rulebook for the actual rules. :)

Remove ads